PDA

View Full Version : Project321 hubs

PaMtbRider
02-28-2019, 05:25 AM
Anybody have experience with these hubs? Not a lot of information or reviews to be found. They seem more popular with the mountain bike crowd. I was planning to go with some Chris King hubs on a new gravel bike and the wheel builder suggested that this was a better option. Please don't recommend a totally different hub. It is between these two.

nmrt
02-28-2019, 08:28 AM
I guy I know has them. He has the newer 216 (?) POE version. He has had them for less than a year. No issues yet. And from what I have read, they are great. 321 used to have I9 internals. But I think not anymore. I would buy them in a heartbeat. They are solid. Also, James Bleakey from BlackSheep Bikes recommended them to me once with full confidence.

But why are they a better choice that CK hubs according to the wheelbuilder? I could think of weight and POE. Anything else?

PaMtbRider
02-28-2019, 08:52 AM
But why are they a better choice that CK hubs according to the wheelbuilder? I could think of weight and POE. Anything else?

Weight and easier to service were the two main things.

elliott
02-28-2019, 09:00 AM
DT240 with a 54t star ratchet.

King freehub is loud and 321 is silent. King comes in centerlock and 321 is 6 bolt only. If these are the only two hubs you are willing to consider I think those differences will point you in the right direction.

bigbill
02-28-2019, 09:02 AM
My gravel wheels are WI XMR which are 6 bolt. Not loud, rock solid reliable.

FriarQuade
02-28-2019, 09:08 AM
I've got a set on my trail bike and another set for my 29er that need building. The thing that I really like about the 321 hubs is that they don't have a ton of drag like all the other high POE hubs. They have roughly 3 times the POE of a King but they have the freehub drag of an old Shimano 18 pawl hub. That's kind of the holy grail of freehub design. They are also relatively quite if you want them to be or loud and obnoxious if that's your thing. The hub geometry is solid with a little more flange angle than most other hubs are able to get. I really don't have anything to fault with these things honestly.

The first gen hubs did use I9 hubs, but they've been on the 2nd gen hubs for a couple years now and use their own driver mechanism.

ergott
02-28-2019, 09:37 AM
Great hubs and the people working there are a pleasure! They also do cool work with Lefty forks so you can use them on non-Cannondale bikes. Lots of CNC experience.

wooly
02-28-2019, 09:46 AM
I’ve had a few pairs of mountain bike wheels laced to P321 hubs. My current set are laced to We Are One Carbon hoops. They make nice hubs. Durable and come a bunch a nice colors. Are they better than i9, Onyx or King? They’re lighter than Onyx or King but about the same as i9. All come in great colors. Honestly I didn’t get them for any reason other than variety and what my builder had on hand at the time. They’ve been great.