PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon wheels

huck*this
02-27-2019, 07:38 AM
Looking at a set of Mavic Ksyrium pro carbon sl tubular wheelset. Anyone have 1st hand experience? 1190grams is a nice touch. Will they hold up with a 225lbs rider? Thanks as always for any advice.

https://cdnmos-bikeradar.global.ssl.fastly.net/images/bikes-and-gear/components/wheel-sets/1434581800821-tamnr6qznpjz-630-80.jpg

oldpotatoe
02-27-2019, 07:46 AM
Looking at a set of Mavic Ksyrium pro carbon sl tubular wheelset. Anyone have 1st hand experience? 1190grams is a nice touch. Will they hold up with a 225lbs rider? Thanks as always for any advice.

https://cdnmos-bikeradar.global.ssl.fastly.net/images/bikes-and-gear/components/wheel-sets/1434581800821-tamnr6qznpjz-630-80.jpg

From Mavic
For a longer longevity of the wheel, Mavic recommends that the total weight supported by the wheels don't exceed 120kg, bike included

Yer at the upper end of that range..just an observation...:)

No such thing as a free lunch..

Mikej
02-27-2019, 08:07 AM
Id say you're good.

huck*this
02-27-2019, 08:10 AM
I guess my real question is. Are the Mavic hubs crap from what I hear around the interweb? Never owned a set but haven't heard too many good things on them. Maybe it has changed with the newer models?

oldpotatoe
02-27-2019, 08:19 AM
I guess my real question is. Are the Mavic hubs crap from what I hear around the interweb? Never owned a set but haven't heard too many good things on them. Maybe it has changed with the newer models?

The 'like DT' rear hub is a big improvement. The older, 2 pawl, FTS-L was a piece of crappola. Yer yer about 245? Bike and rider and clothes and shoes and water, etc?? Think light thoughts when you ride these. They will probably be OK if you have any cycling finesse but add 400 grams or so on a wheelset and get a fair amount of increased reliability.
Remember, your bike and rider 'package' is about 111,000 grams..400 grams means not a whole lot. :)

Yer $ and yer wheels but if I still owned a shop, I'd not be keen on selling these to ya. Better choices, IMHO.

prototoast
02-27-2019, 08:27 AM
I recently picked up a set of the clincher version. I'm not quite as heavy as you, but I'm not light either (about 185 lbs). I haven't put in the miles yet to comment about long-term durability, but otherwise I've been quite happy with them.

cash05458
02-27-2019, 11:13 AM
"Think light thoughts when you ride these..." lol!

tuscanyswe
02-27-2019, 11:17 AM
I run my clinchers as a courier and jump curbs etc. They are solid wheels but im not very heavy and usually quite easy on equipment. But i like them, they are nice wheels and the hubs are so far v good but to be expected with less than a year in i guess.

PaMtbRider
02-27-2019, 11:20 AM
My wife has the clincher version. Relatively low mileage but no issues as of yet. They brake really well with the supplied yellow pads. They don't squeal but are noisier then non textured rims.

IJWS
02-27-2019, 01:12 PM
Aren't there some ultralight Bontrager wheels with no weight limit on them?

I'm a big guy like you on an older set of Ksyrium ssc sl's. I got them because I used to have a pair of ksyrium sl's and I missed how stout they felt. I don't have any bad experience with Ksyriums in general. It all depends on what you are spending. There are so many nice wheels on the market right now.

pdmtong
02-27-2019, 02:15 PM
I have had zero hub issues with various older pawled mavic ksyriums

The DTS variant is better for sure.

While you are in the upper range of the weight spec (225+ 20 (bike/water) + 5 (clothes) = 250) you are still 15 under the supposed max. Unless you plan on riding into potholes or going off curbs i would not worry about it. BTW people use kysriums on tandems with no issues

OP has known disdain for Mavic and SRAM based on his experiences. Others have had different experiences.

oldpotatoe
02-27-2019, 04:27 PM
I have had zero hub issues with various older pawled mavic ksyriums

The DTS variant is better for sure.

While you are in the upper range of the weight spec (225+ 20 (bike/water) + 5 (clothes) = 250) you are still 15 under the supposed max. Unless you plan on riding into potholes or going off curbs i would not worry about it. BTW people use kysriums on tandems with no issues

OP has known disdain for Mavic and SRAM based on his experiences. Others have had different experiences.

Correct, bike shop experiences where the people in the bike shop trenches see lots of this stuff vs. a consumer with sample size=1. Makes no difference to me now, I’m a civilian...but lotsa bike shops like em cuz they = service $...

Mikej
02-27-2019, 06:15 PM
Correct, bike shop experiences where the people in the bike shop trenches see lots of this stuff vs. a consumer with sample size=1. Makes no difference to me now, I’m a civilian...but lotsa bike shops like em cuz they = service $...

Bike shops can’t service Mavic 😁 I think we all know OP loves his 42 count 12 gage spoked wheels!

bitpuddle
02-27-2019, 10:23 PM
If I were a 225lb rider, and I wanted everyday wheels, I’d be riding something like 28 spoke 2x wheels. These can still be built relatively light, but the extra spokes really help with durability.

Race day / special event wheels are a different story.

false_Aest
02-27-2019, 10:38 PM
Does Mavic do anything well these days?

... other than track wheels?

Its an honest question. I feel like they've been a bunch of years behind, have hard to source replacement parts, made questionable builds . . .

nmrt
02-27-2019, 10:51 PM
They bought ENVE?
Thats a plus for Mavic, no?
;)

Does Mavic do anything well these days?

... other than track wheels?

Its an honest question. I feel like they've been a bunch of years behind, have hard to source replacement parts, made questionable builds . . .

TurboNate
02-27-2019, 10:53 PM
For the OP, I've had two sets of these wheels for three years now and can say they are absolute bomber wheels. I have ridden them in all sorts of conditions and could not be happier with them, hence the two sets. They have a nice solid feel to them, spin up fast, push on the pedals and they go! The insta drive 360 is a big improvement over the previous pawl design, as mentioned above. Its practically the same as a DT wheel, the freehub pops off with the removal of the endcap and you have direct access to the ring pawls and springs. Not sure why any shop couldn't service them, they are a pretty simple wheelset/hubset. The steel spoke are a nice touch for durability in my opinion. There are a few really good deals on these wheels right now on the line, buy and enjoy.

huck*this
02-28-2019, 08:03 AM
For the OP, I've had two sets of these wheels for three years now and can say they are absolute bomber wheels. I have ridden them in all sorts of conditions and could not be happier with them, hence the two sets. They have a nice solid feel to them, spin up fast, push on the pedals and they go! The insta drive 360 is a big improvement over the previous pawl design, as mentioned above. Its practically the same as a DT wheel, the freehub pops off with the removal of the endcap and you have direct access to the ring pawls and springs. Not sure why any shop couldn't service them, they are a pretty simple wheelset/hubset. The steel spoke are a nice touch for durability in my opinion. There are a few really good deals on these wheels right now on the line, buy and enjoy.

Excellent answer and thank you!

chiasticon
02-28-2019, 08:13 AM
I have the deeper/clincher version of these and have been very happy with them over a couple summers of heavy use. radial lacing on drive side freaks me out (ala Zipp hub explosions) but so far, so good.

one caveat: yellow brake pads leave dust on the brake tracks. some say it goes away over time, but it hasn't for me. I clean them with acetone every now and then to keep 'em lookin' purdy.

Blown Reek
02-28-2019, 08:26 AM
You can't go wrong with these wheels... especially for the $1000 price from PlanetCyclery.

oldpotatoe
02-28-2019, 08:32 AM

OBTW--I really only mentioned that the OP was approaching the weight limit for these..I said nothing about their quality, etc..for info. I did say the rear hub was a great improvement..:)

93KgBike
02-28-2019, 10:01 PM
They bought ENVE?
Thats a plus for Mavic, no?
;)

Mavic does not own Enve, they are both owned by Amer Sports. Until last year, ENVE's NA CEO ran Mavic NA and loaned them office space.

Both are loss leaders for Amer, and they are trying to dump them. To the Chinese.

Definitely won't make customer support better in the short-run.