PDA

View Full Version : Big name powder-coaters compendium/comparison

zambenini
02-27-2019, 07:23 AM
Hey, everyone, I am weighing some options to get my Cielo MTB redone and thought the knowledge others might post here with their experiences would be helpful to myself and others considering same for bikes we plan to love a long time. Let's control for wet paint as we know who the usual suspects are (I also have a good under the radar wet painter, Michael Richmond who does an awesome job - look him up or PM me!). Also, let's control for local automotive powder-coaters. I have gone that route before and it was fine for a Surly, not what one would probably want for a Cielo or other "Paceline-caliber" bikes.

>Spectrum on a basic single color, contrast logo + strip and mask came out to $650 when I priced it out. They said you could save $200 by stripping paint yourself with chemicals from Home Depot. Not sure I want to get into that. Tons of builders use them and their work looks amazing. What do people think of their work from Spectrum?

>I perused Groody Brothers' website and it seems the job would be a lot less $$$. Anyone have experience with them? How was the quality? Did it look alright? Did it look pretty? I can't tell from their gallery.

>Who else is out there doing good work powdering bike frames?

Let's make a list! Hopefully there are more than two. :)

fmradio516
02-27-2019, 07:37 AM
Pike Powder coating in allston, mass does a great job. Mostly a scooter shop but they do a LOT of bikes.

Blue Jays
02-27-2019, 08:24 AM
Curious to fellow cyclist feelings on powdercoated metal frame with wet painted carbon fiber fork? Both would have wet clearcoat.

zambenini
02-27-2019, 08:24 AM
"She said 'Kiss me where it smells,' so I took her to Allston." David Foster Wallace, anyone? :)

Will look up Pike, thanks!

zambenini
02-27-2019, 08:27 AM
Curious to fellow cyclist feelings on powdercoated metal frame with wet painted carbon fiber fork? Both would have wet clearcoat.

This is how Spectrum does road bikes afaik. I think it looks great. With both having a wet clear, both fork and frame are liable to 'age' at a similar rate, I'd wager, unless it like always lives on your rooofrack in the sunshine or you are extremely hard on them or something. If you're thinkiing of this, PM me for Michael's contact info and go for full wet paint. He did my Serotta gravel rig in full wet paint (silver and purple one in the galleries here and on VS) ... I have strong feelings about his work!!! Quick turnaroudn, reasonable prices.

mhespenheide
02-27-2019, 09:52 AM
I have a bike getting shipped back from Groody Bros as we speak. Will update when it arrives.

brownhound
02-27-2019, 10:52 AM
>Spectrum on a basic single color, contrast logo + strip and mask came out to $650 when I priced it out. They said you could save $200 by stripping paint yourself with chemicals from Home Depot. Not sure I want to get into that. Tons of builders use them and their work looks amazing. What do people think of their work from Spectrum?

>I perused Groody Brothers' website and it seems the job would be a lot less $$$. Anyone have experience with them? How was the quality? Did it look alright? Did it look pretty? I can't tell from their gallery.

>Who else is out there doing good work powdering bike frames?

Let's make a list! Hopefully there are more than two. :)

I just used Groody Bros, and will pick up the fully built bike from my LBS tomorrow.

Pro: cost. I had a Seven Mudhoney steel frame/carbon fork that they stripped -- sand for frame, glass for fork -- powder-coated the frame, and fork painted to match. (Had to use a RAL color to match colors properly, but wouldn't be so constrained if only the fork.) Cost including return shipping was $225!

Overall, I think the result looks good: no orange peel, nice deep color throughout, etc. I'm very happy and would use again.

Con: I think it is basically one guy's side job at a steel fabricating company. So you're beholden to his schedule and communication. Not saying that it was bad, but it's not a place with a staff to handle the odd jobs. If he's on vacation, Groody Bros. is on vacation.

Also, my LBS said the return packing was lousy. So you might want to stipulate the degree of packing, etc., if you're particular about that sort of thing.

Finally, they didn't do any of the finish work like facing the top and bottom of the headtube. My LBS managed for me, but if you want that sort of detailing done, you should clarify with them.

As an aside, I used Spectrum to paint a rack about a year ago. The result was amazing: looked great, color-matching, etc. However, I reached out to them for this Seven twice, and they never got back to me. Maybe too busy with Mosaic's work?

In sum, Groody Bros. offers a straightforward service for the bike market at a very reasonable Midwest price. However, Spectrum are bike guys who are in the Velocolour, Black Magic realm -- creating art.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/101781526@N06/?

bigbill
02-27-2019, 01:28 PM
I've got a Coconino MTB heading to Dark Matter right now. The last Coconino that Garro sent to Spectrum came back beautiful but it took 20 weeks. I want to ride my bike this spring, Dark Matter.

Waldo
02-27-2019, 04:18 PM
A frame builder/painter told me this is the reason he does not like it when steel frames are powder-coated. This frame spent its life in Southern California, yet it shows plenty of rust after the powder coat was stripped. His point is that if this frame had been painted it wouldn't have been so rusty.

jtbadge
02-27-2019, 04:21 PM
I've also had a bike done by Groody Brothers. The work was good, not perfect, but I was happy with it. Price was good. Communication was nonexistent (impossible to get a hold of via phone or email) and turnaround time was lousy (approximately three times the quoted length). They'll offer to match paint of your carbon fork to the powder but it won't necessarily be a perfect match. They'll do decals under clearcoat if you send them a template or the decals, which came out nice.

Kind of a mixed bag, so I probably wouldn't use them again personally unless I move back to Kansas City.

ultraman6970
02-27-2019, 04:58 PM
Waldo whats the reason for the rust??? The preparation doesnt need to be perfect?? powder traps humidity and is too porous??? Whats the explanation??

unterhausen
02-27-2019, 05:42 PM
powder doesn't stick to the underlying material like paint does, or at least not very well. Water can get through it and then has free run all around the frame.

zambenini
02-27-2019, 05:43 PM
Waldo whats the reason for the rust??? The preparation doesnt need to be perfect?? powder traps humidity and is too porous??? Whats the explanation??Very interested to hear more about this as well.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

zambenini
02-27-2019, 05:44 PM
powder doesn't stick to the underlying material like paint does, or at least not very well. Water can get through it and then has free run all around the frame.Wha???? Like at an atomic level? Elaborate plz

unterhausen
02-27-2019, 05:53 PM
The high-end wet paint automotive primers stick very well to steel. It is not quite atomic level, but, if applied properly, it might as well be. Powder has no primer. There is considerable variation in how well it sticks. Just barely is not uncommon. It's mostly a coating. Of course, if you want to take it of, it can be quite tenacious and it's very tough.

Blue Jays
02-27-2019, 06:23 PM
Dark Matter Finishing enjoys a good reputation as a high-quality company.

Waldo
02-27-2019, 06:38 PM
Waldo whats the reason for the rust??? The preparation doesnt need to be perfect?? powder traps humidity and is too porous??? Whats the explanation??

I can't remember, honestly. Any of the reasons you mention, or some combination of them, most likely. I'll follow up with him and will post further.

bironi
02-27-2019, 06:49 PM
I call bs on the claim of rust under steel powder coat.
I had a steel frame built in Italy in the 70's powder coated 20+ years ago.
No problem with rust.
I rode year round in Seattle and Olympia.
My Moots powder coated in 2005 still looks like it did when received.

unterhausen
02-27-2019, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry if I gave the impression that it always happens. It doesn't. But it's definitely a possibility. My next frame is getting powder coated.

Bob Ross
02-27-2019, 08:57 PM
What do people think of their work from Spectrum?

When I got my Carl Strong coupled road bike in 2010 he was using Spectrum as his go-to powdercoater. The paint [sic] job on this bike is amazing: It's got a vivid three-dimensional luster, like a candy-apple or metal-flake job, that is mesmerizing, especially in sunlight. Based on this one example I would highly recommend them.

otoh my wife got a more-or-less identical Strong at the same time that was also powdercoated by Spectrum, and hers looked pretty damn good. But not quite as exquisite as mine. Then three years later when she had the frame retrofit for Di2, it got sent back to Spectrum...and they screwed up royally. They not only didn't do nearly as good a job, they also completely dropped the ball in terms of following instructions (matte instead of gloss?!?! How do you miss something that explicit?) and the missus has been pretty pissed at Spectrum ever since.

So they're 1 for 2 in my book.

I thought I'd heard that Spectrum got out of the bicycle frame painting business a couple years ago anyway? And/or split off the bicycle work to a subdivision?

oliver1850
02-28-2019, 03:08 AM
I was very impressed with the way the frame in this thread turned out. No help to the OP as the frame was done in the UK, but an example of how good powder coat can look. I'd like to see a lugged frame done by the same outfit.

You will have to scroll to the end of the thread to see the finished bike.

http://community.vintagecannondale.com/threads/another-frame-id-please.71/#post-1050

zambenini
02-28-2019, 06:53 AM
I thought I'd heard that Spectrum got out of the bicycle frame painting business a couple years ago anyway? And/or split off the bicycle work to a subdivision?

Mosaic bought em

SpeedyChix
02-28-2019, 07:08 AM
Another happy Dark Matter customer. I'd work with him again. Good communication and quick turn around. Does both powder and wet.
Ollie spent years at Spectrum is Dark Matter.

Re power and rust, from an email exchange with him shared re rust and powder. The issue is that powder coating is porous so moisture and contaminates can eventually get beneath the powder and begin to cause rust.

Powder will hold up better on a mountain bike. It isn't as good for rust prevention as liquid. Pricing is pretty similar. The are metallic powders. Check out https://www.prismaticpowders.com .

Oliver Cleveland
Dark Matter Finishing
www.darkmatterfinishing.com

bigbill
02-28-2019, 09:05 AM
Another happy Dark Matter customer. I'd work with him again. Good communication and quick turn around. Does both powder and wet.

Re power and rust, from an email exchange with him shared re rust and powder. The issue is that powder coating is porous so moisture and contaminates can eventually get beneath the powder and begin to cause rust.

I knew about the porous part but I live in the desert. Ollie should receive my frame any day now.

zambenini
02-28-2019, 11:11 AM

Re power and rust, from an email exchange with him shared re rust and powder. The issue is that powder coating is porous so moisture and contaminates can eventually get beneath the powder and begin to cause rust.Anne, did he do your Coco? That thing is niiiiice.

SpeedyChix
02-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Anne, did he do your Coco? That thing is niiiiice.

Yes he did. Thanks! :)
Some people ask me why I didn't get a carbon hardtail...until they try riding the Coco.
I'm anxious for spring to get here and back on that bike.

Blue Jays
02-28-2019, 12:55 PM
Sounds like for offroad mountainbike impact ruggedness and general durability: opt for powdercoating.
Sounds like for roadbike optimal cosmetic color-matching and water imperviousness: opt for wet painting.