PDA

View Full Version : Speedvagen Disc OG!?

timenoway
02-26-2019, 12:17 AM
Not sure if anybody's seen this, but SV just sent out an email blast about their new Disc OG.

https://www.speedvagen.com/ready-made-discog

As always, even at 6000 usd a pop, still makes me shriek about the price at the given set up. (i'm wishing Ryun buys one and we can get a deal on it later...)

quickfeet
02-26-2019, 05:36 AM
It’s asking for a password to view that page?

happycampyer
02-26-2019, 05:47 AM
Try “sneakpeek”.

Blown Reek
02-26-2019, 06:11 AM
I was wondering where I could pick up a non-custom, mechanical-equipped Ultegra bike with external hoses and pay an exorbitant price. Now I know.

GonaSovereign
02-26-2019, 06:20 AM
I was wondering where I could pick up a non-custom, mechanical-equipped Ultegra bike with external hoses and pay an exorbitant price. Now I know.

You've got to hand it to them: people line up to buy the things.

(NB: there is a lot of tube shaping going on there. That's labor-intensive work.)

Blown Reek
02-26-2019, 06:23 AM
(NB: there is a lot of tube shaping going on there. That's labor-intensive work.)

It sure looks like a Columbus HSS tube set.

peanutgallery
02-26-2019, 06:24 AM
Claims to be presented without preciousness

charliedid
02-26-2019, 06:34 AM
That is a beautiful bike.

I'm also happy to learn that it comes with "tons of next level options"

:)

Peter P.
02-26-2019, 06:45 AM
I see nothing wrong with this offering. They've got a great marketing program. The frame definitely requires extra labor to construct, and the price is likely influenced by the desire to limit demand vs. production capability.

My only, very minor, criticism is the Ghost graphics are less visible with a gloss finish such as the blue. The matte finish produces a better result but alas, it's only offered in Army Green.

doubleklobbs
02-26-2019, 07:57 AM

Aren't you trading custom geo for quicker turnaround with these stock frame offerings? From the page: "And of course, the best part.... Turn-around time is about 2 months"

-dustin
02-26-2019, 08:08 AM
what is OG about that?

dbnm
02-26-2019, 08:22 AM
"In 2019 we are selling complete bikes only, no frame sets, no supplied parts!"

pdonk
02-26-2019, 08:59 AM
Not to be a SV apologist, but....

On pricing it is what it is and people will decide with their wallets.

On pricing - A quick look at trek, giant and specialized show mechanical ultegra equipped disc bikes in the same price range and higher. I'd rather have the cables external vs how they look on the treks. Compared to their customs this is a good "deal". A similar custom would be about $8500 - still in line with an ultegra trek madone.

On paint- First five people to place deposits get a choice one of the 5 new colours they are offering next year free of charge. I am sure they'll do different paint for a fee, last year it was about $350 for another stock colour.

On time - a custom from them is 4-6 months - or longer, I waited 8 months due to paint. I am sure if you are lucky and they just ran a batch in your size you'd probably have it in a couple of weeks.

yinzerniner
02-26-2019, 09:30 AM

On pricing - A quick look at trek, giant and specialized show mechanical ultegra equipped disc bikes in the same price range and higher. I'd rather have the cables external vs how they look on the treks. Compared to their customs this is a good "deal". A similar custom would be about $8500 - still in line with an ultegra trek madone.

On paint- First five people to place deposits get a choice one of the 5 new colours they are offering next year free of charge. I am sure they'll do different paint for a fee, last year it was about $350 for another stock colour.

On time - a custom from them is 4-6 months - or longer, I waited 8 months due to paint. I am sure if you are lucky and they just ran a batch in your size you'd probably have it in a couple of weeks.

People will pay what people will pay, no point in price bashing when it comes to a boutique product.

HOWEVER, you simply cannot compare the SV to a Trek Madone - completely different bikes, and once you start getting into the parts rundown the Trek completely blows the SV away, as would just about any top of the line big-brand bike.

The OG is a beautiful bike with very nice details and surely first-rate ride quality but not sure about the market for a non-custom ride of this type. Anyone looking to shell 6 large for a steel ride with middling kit will surely go the custom route from any one of the many fantastic custom builders out there.

Jaybee
02-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Every new Speedvagen gets the "That's too expensive for non-custom!" comments. Remember the Urban Racer internet comment ****show?

I'm starting to think the high price is part of the marketing.

rallizes
02-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Every new Speedvagen gets the "That's too expensive for non-custom!" comments. Remember the Urban Racer internet comment ****show?

I'm starting to think the high price is part of the marketing.

this part

XXtwindad
02-26-2019, 10:33 AM
Speedvagen should offer lessons in marketing. Their brand is totally aspirational. "One one of these and you'll race to victory caked in blood, sweat, and snot." I'm wondering how many of their customers this actually describes. My guess is not too many.

$6,000 for an off the peg bike is way too rich for my blood. I've never liked the look of asymmetrical head tubes, but I do like the straight top tube.

Clean39T
02-26-2019, 10:42 AM
A Carl Strong steel frame starts at $3200 soon - add parts and wheels at close to retail, and you're at $6k before you know it...

Nothing to see here - other than a gorgeous bikah - move along.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sjambok
02-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Based on all the dislike, it looks like I'm one of the few "suckers". I put down a deposit on one yesterday. I'd been eyeing an SV road bike for awhile.

Jaybee
02-26-2019, 11:11 AM
Based on all the dislike, it looks like I'm one of the few "suckers". I put down a deposit on one yesterday. I'd been eyeing an SV road bike for awhile.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they dislike their SV outside of fit issues. Enjoy your new bike, which is not a Madone.

Sjambok
02-26-2019, 11:25 AM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they dislike their SV outside of fit issues. Enjoy your new bike, which is not a Madone.

Thanks Jaybee, I had a Madone years ago and sold it because I'd choose my Gunnar Fastlane over it.

rallizes
02-26-2019, 11:40 AM

can you expand on this?

pdonk
02-26-2019, 11:40 AM

Welcome to the club, hope you enjoy your new bike.

Point I was trying to make is that not withstanding that there may be technical differences between this bike and others, a disc braked, mechanical ultegra bike in the 6K range is not unheard of or all that rare.

There maybe other options for custom steel at this price point, and some may be cheaper, but the price is not too crazy in this day and age.

pdonk
02-26-2019, 11:42 AM

I am also curious about this. In all the forum readings I did before getting my bike, I only found 2 people who were really dissatisfied with any aspect of their bikes.

Since mine is sitting in my basement until the end of the month, just wondering what may have been the issue.

Heisenberg
02-26-2019, 11:44 AM
that is some not-amazing wordsmithing for an aspirational brand.

but, pricing is fairly affordable, given it's a musa steel bike made with decent (i think?) tubing. i do love the conveniently omitted full images of the exposed rear brake hose running down the dt.

tl,dr someone needs to build a 1 1/8th disc/TA carbon fork with more than one rake. curious what the full build weighs - wouldn't be shocked if it were nearing 20lbs.

joep2517
02-26-2019, 11:47 AM

Welcome to the family. Enjoy your SV, they are great bikes and it will become your go-to bike.

jtakeda
02-26-2019, 12:01 PM

+1 here. Not to mention they’re made in the USA by a small producer and not overseas.

For all the talk people talk about “buying American” there’s a lot of bashing when someone actually tries to do it and attempt to give workers a decent wage.

I personally think SV marketing is a little corny but let’s not forget that making things in house in the US is expensive.

colker
02-26-2019, 12:16 PM
that is some not-amazing wordsmithing for an aspirational brand.

but, pricing is fairly affordable, given it's a musa steel bike made with decent (i think?) tubing. i do love the conveniently omitted full images of the exposed rear brake hose running down the dt.

tl,dr someone needs to build a 1 1/8th disc/TA carbon fork with more than one rake. curious what the full build weighs - wouldn't be shocked if it were nearing 20lbs.

I love the "our steel is superior to steel as done in the past". What past are they talking about? 1950s? Isn´t everybody´s steel bikes done the same way these days?
I like those speedvagens (maybe not that seat mast) but their marketing is way out there in outer space.

m4rk540
02-26-2019, 12:27 PM
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shimano-ultegra-r8020-groupset-1

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/easton-ea70-sl-disc-wheelset

https://www.merlincycles.com/fabric-scoop-shallow-race-saddle-105934.html

https://fairwheelbikes.com/enve-road-disc-fork/

I dig that shaped, painted, Portland-built frame at $3500.

jtbadge
02-26-2019, 12:31 PM
https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shimano-ultegra-r8020-groupset-1

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/easton-ea70-sl-disc-wheelset

https://www.merlincycles.com/fabric-scoop-shallow-race-saddle-105934.html

I dig that shaped, painted, Portland-built frame at $3500.

Plus another couple hundo for headset, tires, bars, tape, paint-to-match seatmast head and stem. Asking price is not really not a stretch by any means.

jtakeda
02-26-2019, 12:46 PM
Plus another couple hundo for headset, tires, bars, tape, paint-to-match seatmast head and stem. Asking price is not really not a stretch by any means.

+ prep the frame. Assemble the frame. Cables etc.

Sure a lot of us do our own work. But these are ready to ride already tuned.

PoppaWheelie
02-26-2019, 01:48 PM
I like the bikes, like the brand, like the people who make them, and like I get to talk to the guys to fabricate the frame. I do genuinely wonder if people are "lining up" to buy them. It used to be that a Vanilla was rare as a pixie-dust unicorn, but the SV brand has been out there for a while and I assume the market is pretty niche. Clearly they're selling enough of them to keep the lights on...not my business but I kinda wonder these days what that actually means. I hope Sacha and all the folks who are working there are making a comfy wage...I've had nothing but great interactions with them.

benb
02-26-2019, 02:39 PM
This bit his hilarious:

The Speedvagen Disc OG is presented without preciousness.

The sizing is seriously limited which is insane for $6000 bike. I get it for a cheap carbon overseas frame but not for this one.

They jumped the hipster shark for me almost the day I heard about them. Love the 'staches and sleeves and trucker caps in the pictures on the fit page.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Vanilla.. maybe seen 1-2 SpeedVagens. They are a long way from the east coast and the hype doesn't seem very strong here. I feel like you'd have to be nuts to order one sight unseen from the east coast just sending in a fit sheet from some other source & hoping it works when it arrives unless the preciousness was the key aspect.

Gotta give em credit, they are the first bike company I've seen offer to sell you a skateboard deck to hang on your wall and a Dopp kit to take to the showers at the 'cross race. No preciousness at all.

shoota
02-26-2019, 04:03 PM
What a boring bike. If we pay extra can we have some decals?

pdmtong
02-26-2019, 04:20 PM
This bit his hilarious:

The sizing is seriously limited which is insane for $6000 bike. I get it for a cheap carbon overseas frame but not for this one.

They jumped the hipster shark for me almost the day I heard about them. Love the 'staches and sleeves and trucker caps in the pictures on the fit page.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a Vanilla.. maybe seen 1-2 SpeedVagens. They are a long way from the east coast and the hype doesn't seem very strong here. I feel like you'd have to be nuts to order one sight unseen from the east coast just sending in a fit sheet from some other source & hoping it works when it arrives unless the preciousness was the key aspect.

Gotta give em credit, they are the first bike company I've seen offer to sell you a skateboard deck to hang on your wall and a Dopp kit to take to the showers at the 'cross race. No preciousness at all.

It's the inverse here on the west coast...I've seen one FF in person. And no one cares about IF or Seven. Here in the wealth of silicon valley you would think you would see more custom handmade but noooooo...s-works all day long (morgan hill just 30 miles south)

In the mid-2000's Vanilla/Sacha were the only ones delivering the combination of function, aesthetic and fabrication excellence across multiple genres - road, cross, town, tour, rando, city, track. Love it or not, the guy was killing it with some innovative designs and paint.

Chapeau to him for parlaying that foundation into a business model that moved him away from 40/year each build one-off have it your way full custom to a replicable 'aspirational" go-fast steel frame. And good for him for controlling the full build so the images of the bikes are consistent and there are no shopping carts with 9v ultegra in the wild.

I find the current SV marketing obnoxious and a bit too full of itself. And would prefer to know the welder identity and pedigree (simplebicycleco?)

A disc OG has to be in the 18# range and I cant go there.

The OG idea is a good one...and I think $6k is in the ball park of reasonable given the market. But the real challenge is if you want a SV either you go OG or you go $12-14k. It's a slippery slope...

joosttx
02-26-2019, 04:25 PM
What a boring bike. If we pay extra can we have some decals?

Vanilla Workshop doesn’t use decals. And logos, etc are painted. But if you want a fancier paint job buy a regular speedvagen

benb
02-27-2019, 09:27 AM
It's the inverse here on the west coast...I've seen one FF in person. And no one cares about IF or Seven. Here in the wealth of silicon valley you would think you would see more custom handmade but noooooo...s-works all day long (morgan hill just 30 miles south)

Could be just the way the east coast is, IF, Seven, and Firefly are no big deal hear either, in Boston. Could be cause there are lots of people with lots of money.. and if you're buying a bike instead of spending it on a car or house it's nothing and it doesn't impress anyone that much. I don't think any of these Boston/NE based companies care to be social media darlings like Vanilla. They are all easy to get access too, and they are not pretentious at all in the community. I only have experience with Seven, I don't own a Seven but I almost bought one and probably will eventually, and they are all super down to earth.

Maybe it's cause we're further away from Hollyweird but Celebrity worship is less of a thing, and that would include bike celebrities.

In the mid-2000's Vanilla/Sacha were the only ones delivering the combination of function, aesthetic and fabrication excellence across multiple genres - road, cross, town, tour, rando, city, track. Love it or not, the guy was killing it with some innovative designs and paint.

Chapeau to him for parlaying that foundation into a business model that moved him away from 40/year each build one-off have it your way full custom to a replicable 'aspirational" go-fast steel frame. And good for him for controlling the full build so the images of the bikes are consistent and there are no shopping carts with 9v ultegra in the wild.

I find some of this laughable... he is/was a custom builder, there were lots of them already around in that time period that would build all those things if you asked. The big thing they've done is utilize the internet/social media incredibly effectively to build up a cachet and wait list

I get the idea to try and control the "shopping cart bikes" thing but the way they describe it is juvenile compared to the way someone like Richard Sachs handles it. The shopping cart aspect has more to do with the match of the rider to the bike than the actual sizes offered. Even if you ignore different ratios of limb:torso by capping the sizes at 58cm they've pretty much said they don't care about anyone > 6 feet and my guess is they've also decided they don't care about any shorter women. (Their geometry conveniently ignores women anyway)

pdmtong
02-27-2019, 02:29 PM
Could be just the way the east coast is, IF, Seven, and Firefly are no big deal hear either, in Boston. Could be cause there are lots of people with lots of money.. and if you're buying a bike instead of spending it on a car or house it's nothing and it doesn't impress anyone that much. I don't think any of these Boston/NE based companies care to be social media darlings like Vanilla. They are all easy to get access too, and they are not pretentious at all in the community. I only have experience with Seven, I don't own a Seven but I almost bought one and probably will eventually, and they are all super down to earth.

Maybe it's cause we're further away from Hollyweird but Celebrity worship is less of a thing, and that would include bike celebrities.

I find some of this laughable... he is/was a custom builder, there were lots of them already around in that time period that would build all those things if you asked. The big thing they've done is utilize the internet/social media incredibly effectively to build up a cachet and wait list

I get the idea to try and control the "shopping cart bikes" thing but the way they describe it is juvenile compared to the way someone like Richard Sachs handles it. The shopping cart aspect has more to do with the match of the rider to the bike than the actual sizes offered. Even if you ignore different ratios of limb:torso by capping the sizes at 58cm they've pretty much said they don't care about anyone > 6 feet and my guess is they've also decided they don't care about any shorter women. (Their geometry conveniently ignores women anyway)

I am sure we could tank several pints discussing this and laughing about it.

I would never claim sacha could build the best bike but I would definitely claim no one else at the time (2003-2010) was delivering bikes across genres that most people would sit up straight and go wow - built great, look great, ride great. A lot of builders seem to focus on one or two genres...vanilla did not. so I am talking about the totality of his builds not his road versus sachs, his touring versus bilineky, his track versus don walker, etc. the only builder who comes to mind in this same mold today is rob english. by 2010 though, the social media machine was kicking in there started to be a clear shift away form one-off vanilla to small production SV. and then the bombardment of phrasing and imaging. now whats happened is the basic design for SV is static, and the last frontier is their fit process. plenty of people here have been fit by sacha often with pretty big changes from their existing.

that is a big leap - fit change and custom $12-14k build ...

you are right , the stock sizing biases the population

oh, and does any one remember when you had to send in an application to have a SV built and hope you got selected for one of the thirty made that year?

m4rk540
02-27-2019, 02:41 PM

65% of Vanilla Workshop sales come from the East Coast. I just made that up but it's true. Ask xjahx.

whateveronfire
02-27-2019, 04:19 PM
(Their geometry conveniently ignores women anyway)

That's interesting. Admittedly, I'm tall (5'9") and relatively "normally" built (I can make a lot of 54s fit and WSD don't fit me as well). I bought a leftover SV OG1 and the fit on it is superb. (Sacha wasn't even there when I bought it, so the fit wasn't done on the old fit bike, but on the bike itself).

I get where smaller or very tall anybodies would not be able to make an OG1 work. I think of it as their off-the-shelf bike, so I'm not surprised that either end of the human size spectrum are not accommodated.

vincenz
02-27-2019, 04:31 PM
I’m sure they make nice bikes, but I really dislike those curved seatstays. Also dislike their paint and their overall hipster vibe.

benb
02-28-2019, 09:21 AM
I would never claim sacha could build the best bike but I would definitely claim no one else at the time (2003-2010) was delivering bikes across genres that most people would sit up straight and go wow - built great, look great, ride great. A lot of builders seem to focus on one or two genres...vanilla did not. so I am talking about the totality of his builds not his road versus sachs, his touring versus bilineky, his track versus don walker, etc. the only builder who comes to mind in this same mold today is rob english. by 2010 though, the social media machine was kicking in there started to be a clear shift away form one-off vanilla to small production SV. and then the bombardment of phrasing and imaging. now whats happened is the basic design for SV is static, and the last frontier is their fit process. plenty of people here have been fit by sacha often with pretty big changes from their existing.

that is a big leap - fit change and custom $12-14k build ...

you are right , the stock sizing biases the population

oh, and does any one remember when you had to send in an application to have a SV built and hope you got selected for one of the thirty made that year?

No doubt they are geniuses as running their business. I was not thinking about "who is making the widest variety of genres of custom bikes". Certainly just about any bike you could imagine could have been built back then.. but maybe you are right that if you wanted to buy 6 different bikes that were all targeted really differently Vanilla might have been the best one to build all those different bikes for you if you wanted one shop to build them all. Maybe that diversity of bikes is what really pushed them over the top.

It is kind of amazing that $7-8k for a Meivici SE was considered 100% ridiculous by this forum not too many years ago but $12-14k would be OK for a steel Vanilla/SV today. These bike prices have gotten insane... no way in the world anyone would ever convince me a bike at that price range would be better than having 2-3 bikes in the $3-5k range, especially when you are probably into custom Ti or very nice non-custom carbon in those price ranges.

My geometry comments were mostly about biasing towards long torso/shorter limbs.. some men (taller men) are more likely to not fit into that and women in general don't have the same proportions as men in that "meat of the bell curve" range of height. I'm not really sure but it feels like something like 5'8" with average white male proportions is the optimal body size to be to fit on stock bikes... and then the bigger and smaller ones get sized up and down from that without always having their proportions optimized.

oldpotatoe
02-28-2019, 01:20 PM

And no Campagnolo user need apply.
In 2019 we are selling complete bikes only, no frame sets, no supplied parts!

pdonk
02-28-2019, 01:43 PM
And no Campagnolo user need apply.

When I went to the workshop, they had Campagnolo as a group option.

Sure if someone wanted it they would do it as they are allowing upgrades to dura ace and electric.

pdmtong
02-28-2019, 01:52 PM
No doubt they are geniuses as running their business. I was not thinking about "who is making the widest variety of genres of custom bikes". Certainly just about any bike you could imagine could have been built back then.. but maybe you are right that if you wanted to buy 6 different bikes that were all targeted really differently Vanilla might have been the best one to build all those different bikes for you if you wanted one shop to build them all. Maybe that diversity of bikes is what really pushed them over the top.

It is kind of amazing that $7-8k for a Meivici SE was considered 100% ridiculous by this forum not too many years ago but $12-14k would be OK for a steel Vanilla/SV today. These bike prices have gotten insane... no way in the world anyone would ever convince me a bike at that price range would be better than having 2-3 bikes in the $3-5k range, especially when you are probably into custom Ti or very nice non-custom carbon in those price ranges.

My geometry comments were mostly about biasing towards long torso/shorter limbs.. some men (taller men) are more likely to not fit into that and women in general don't have the same proportions as men in that "meat of the bell curve" range of height. I'm not really sure but it feels like something like 5'8" with average white male proportions is the optimal body size to be to fit on stock bikes... and then the bigger and smaller ones get sized up and down from that without always having their proportions optimized.

It's the diversity, the fabrication (TIG, Fillet, Lug), the design innovations, the ride quality and then lastly the paint, that separated them as a shop from many others.

I can't agree that $12-14k is OK, butt it is the price when you go all in. And that's the slippery slope...either go OG-1 and cap it at $6k or suddenly you get option and component scope creep that lands you in the pricing stratosphere.

BTW...remember that $7k meivici was f/f only! If SV was $7k/f/f we'd be looking at $15-17k.....yikes.

pdonk
02-28-2019, 02:25 PM
BTW...remember that $7k meivici was f/f only! If SV was $7k/f/f we'd be looking at $15-17k.....yikes.

If you go SL and add disks and electric you are at $7625 for frame/fork mods and battery.

pdmtong
02-28-2019, 02:29 PM
If you go SL and add disks and electric you are at $7625 for frame/fork mods and battery.
thats exactly the slippery slope as you upscale from OG. carbon seat tube, electric, seatpost battery, etc....adds up.

BTW, yours came out really nice.

pdonk
02-28-2019, 02:39 PM
thats exactly the slippery slope as you upscale from OG. carbon seat tube, electric, seatpost battery, etc....adds up.

BTW, yours came out really nice.

Thanks, I obsessed and saved to get it and then worried about every choice I made.

It was a slippery slope, especially considering that our dollar has tanked since I started thinking about it.

Andy sti
02-28-2019, 02:40 PM
So a No22 ready made disc road or gravel bike is $8500. Granted that's with ultegra Di2, but why is there not a multi-page thread about that price?

jtbadge
02-28-2019, 02:45 PM
So a No22 ready made disc road or gravel bike is $8500. Granted that's with ultegra Di2, but why is there not a multi-page thread about that price?

Because Paceline thinks those darn millenial hipsters are ruining the world?

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/001/044/247/297.png

pdmtong
02-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Thanks, I obsessed and saved to get it and then worried about every choice I made.

It was a slippery slope, especially considering that our dollar has tanked since I started thinking about it.

It's non-trivial money but it is also true that in life, you will always make more money but you cannot make more time.

Spending time on lousy bikes are poorly fit bikes is is time none of us can get back. And to have a beautiful bike like that earlier in life instead of for a later in life big birthday is a real treat.

Did you post a better close up of the top tube detail in your thread? I haven't looked in awhile but if not please do. that dark to light mountain fade is really great.

colker
02-28-2019, 04:42 PM
It's non-trivial money but it is also true that in life, you will always make more money but you cannot make more time.

Spending time on lousy bikes are poorly fit bikes is is time none of us can get back. And to have a beautiful bike like that earlier in life instead of for a later in life big birthday is a real treat.

Did you post a better close up of the top tube detail in your thread? I haven't looked in awhile but if not please do. that dark to light mountain fade is really great.

C´mon.. you can buy a beautifull custom frame from a master builder in the US who will fit you perfectly for 2k. I doubt any steel or scandium frame will ride or fit better.
Vanilla is great and SV is great but there is a long way from a poorly fit and built bike to a 6k steel frame(w/ a ready made carbon fork?). Buy whatever you want and fall for whatever hype you want.. it´s a free world.

pdmtong
02-28-2019, 04:51 PM
C´mon.. you can buy a beautifull custom frame from a master builder in the US who will fit you perfectly for 2k. I doubt any steel or scandium frame will ride or fit better.
Vanilla is great and SV is great but there is a long way from a poorly fit and built bike to a 6k steel frame(w/ a ready made carbon fork?). Buy whatever you want and fall for whatever hype you want.. it´s a free world.

I did not say that SV (@ $6k) was the only way to "get a beautiful custom frame from a master builder in the US that (who) will fit you perfectly."

I said that riding a lousy bike or a poor fit is a waste of time. Period. If SV fixes that, great. Plenty of choices for all.

m4rk540
02-28-2019, 07:22 PM

I did not say that SV (@ $6k) was the only way to "get a beautiful custom frame from a master builder in the US that (who) will fit you perfectly."

I said that riding a lousy bike or a poor fit is a waste of time. Period. If SV fixes that, great. Plenty of choices for all.

I guess saving for a bike is like saving for a vacation. I grew up in a household where the once a decade vacation would not have occurred without the 50 bucks monthly into the envelope account.

jtakeda
02-28-2019, 07:52 PM

This is true.
Https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...020-groupset-1

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/east...-disc-wheelset

https://www.merlincycles.com/fabric-...le-105934.html

Add in all the parts and labor to build and tax—tires etc.
And you’re pretty much in the 5k-6k range for a complete.

I think a lot of folks are forgetting this is a complete NEW bike. Not a used bike or a frame.

Don’t get me wrong. I don’t have 6k to spend on a bike—but for a NEW high end bike....that’s about what they cost

colker
02-28-2019, 07:54 PM
This is true.
Https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...020-groupset-1

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/east...-disc-wheelset

https://www.merlincycles.com/fabric-...le-105934.html

Add in all the parts and labor to build and tax—tires etc.

And you’re pretty much in the 5k-6k range for a complete.
The OG is not a custom bike.

jtakeda
02-28-2019, 08:00 PM
The OG is not a custom bike.

true.
But I’d wager to say that 75% of people who ride can make a stock frame work.

And instead of waiting forever and plunkin 10k on a Vanilla frame, they’re offering an option for the masses

vincenz
02-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Yeh I wouldn’t spend $6000+ on a bike either if I couldn’t hand pick every component I wanted.

Yes, plastic production bikes can cost that much too, but $6000 can get you a top end frame and components from a major manufacturer. And I know I would be getting top end performance in this case.

But if you’re going to go high end metal, you probably care more about ride quality, exclusivity, custom, etc. In that case, why drop that much money on a stock build?

true.

And instead of waiting forever and plunkin 10k on a Vanilla frame, they’re offering an option for the masses

A $6000 bike is not an option for the masses. It’s a bike for impatient people who don’t know any better.

XXtwindad
02-28-2019, 08:14 PM
true.

Got nothing against Speedvagen, but "masses" is a wee bit of a stretch, isn't it?

XXtwindad
02-28-2019, 08:25 PM
true.

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore...and I will give them Speedvagen OGs."

Sorry. Couldn't resist ...

jtakeda
02-28-2019, 08:50 PM
Got nothing against Speedvagen, but "masses" is a wee bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Yeah i was exaggerating. But were talking about a very small niche here.

RACE bikes. Not a weekend casual bike.

For someone interested in a race bike its not an insane amount https://www.mikesbikes.com/product/specialized-s-works-venge-frameset-344696-1.htm

Theres a 5k frame right there.

I'm not really one to defend SV because I would never pay that much for a stock bike. I understand it though. You have a crazy waitlist for people wanting to pay 10-12k on a bike and while its fun to do crazy custom wouldnt it also be nice to have an option thats more accessible to people who want a tool for a job and not a precious piece of bike jewelry?

I understand the logic from SVs point of view is all im saying and if you think it from the perspective of "I make $10,000 frames" to "im going to try and make a $6,000 complete" it makes more sense.

Youve already made a name for yourself as a craftsman--why not try and make your craft more accessible?

jtbadge
02-28-2019, 08:51 PM
I mean, a complete Rivendell is probably $6000 if you buy all the parts from them. And that is a weekend casual bike.

Speedvagen is selling out the number of bikes they want to make every year, clearly the pricing is fine for their market.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2019, 07:30 AM
When I went to the workshop, they had Campagnolo as a group option.

Sure if someone wanted it they would do it as they are allowing upgrades to dura ace and electric.

But pretty sure they wouldn't like it, considering the YUGE margin they probably get due to the two S' brands and their OE pricing...It's in their 'ready made' section..not sure if the quote means all their bikes or just this one.

colker
03-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Is it an iconic bike? No one is paying those prices because there is no other way of finding something that fits and rides really well.. There is a lot of mind games going on.
If a SV is an iconic bike for you like a Pegoretti is for me then any price is fair.

SpokeValley
03-01-2019, 11:09 AM
Is it an iconic bike? No one is paying those prices because there is no other way of finding something that fits and rides really well.. There is a lot of mind games going on.
If a SV is an iconic bike for you like a Pegoretti is for me then any price is fair.

One piece of the "icon" seems to be missing from the last iteration of OG-1...

Berserker dropouts. I know, disk brakes...but...

Ryun
03-01-2019, 03:51 PM
It sure looks like a Columbus HSS tube set.
FWIW
Having had several of both, it is not anywhere near an HSS tubeset which has a much larger dt, ovalized tt and very different chainstays.

Ryun
03-01-2019, 03:54 PM

Congrats youll love it. It is a fantastic riding frame.