PDA

View Full Version : 10 speed compatibility?

bianchi10
02-25-2019, 05:57 PM
A bike has 9 speed tiagra on with 9 speed tiagra cassette. IF The owner of this bike wanted to upgrade to shimano 5800 shifters, RD and FD would he also have to upgrade the hub and crankset?

EDS
02-25-2019, 06:07 PM
A bike has 9 speed tiagra on with 9 speed tiagra cassette. IF The owner of this bike wanted to upgrade to shimano 5800 shifters, RD and FD would he also have to upgrade the hub and crankset?

5800 is 11 speed so will need new everything.

fmradio516
02-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Sorry Nick, I gave you the wrote part number. Theyre 5700, not 5800.. Its hard for me to keep up with all these number changes...

Jaybee
02-25-2019, 06:20 PM
5700 should work fine on that hub/crank.

jtbadge
02-25-2019, 06:21 PM
For going 9 to 10 speed, you shouldn't need to change the derailleurs, either, unless you want to.

stien
02-25-2019, 07:54 PM
Gotta say though, if paying money for this upgrade, 5700 not very worthwhile IMO. Campy 10s shifters on that group would work a lot nicer than what’s on there or 5700. Even 5600/6600/7800 performed better IME.

jtbadge
02-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Gotta say though, if paying money for this upgrade, 5700 not very worthwhile IMO. Campy 10s shifters on that group would work a lot nicer than what’s on there or 5700. Even 5600/6600/7800 performed better IME.

+1, find "exposed cable" shifters if going 10 speed.

bianchi10
02-25-2019, 09:37 PM
+1, find "exposed cable" shifters if going 10 speed.

Why would you suggest exposed cables on any groupset? Just curious to hear what your reasoning would be, whether its aesthetics for you or performance based maybe?

hokoman
02-25-2019, 09:40 PM
Why on earth would i want exposed shifter cables on any groupset? Just curious to hear what your reasoning would be, whether its aesthetics for you or performance based maybe?

Smoother shift, but I'll be the guy to say it.... I love my 6703 groups.... I can't stand exposed cables, and I don't shift that much, so the slightly less crisp shifting is fine with me.

jtbadge
02-25-2019, 09:44 PM
Smoother shifting, less cable eating.

Jaybee
02-26-2019, 12:09 AM
Smoother shift, but I'll be the guy to say it.... I love my 6703 groups.... I can't stand exposed cables, and I don't shift that much, so the slightly less crisp shifting is fine with me.

Maybe I'm a philistine, but I'm with you. Whatever degradation in shifting performance exists is more than made up by the superior ergonomics and aesthetics of not having antennae on your bike.

dddd
02-26-2019, 12:47 AM
Shimano road ten speed was really stretching the limits of very small cable movements with each gear change. Bikes with Shimano road ten-speed were commonly problematic in terms of service intervals and in terms of no tolerance for using other-branded chains or cassettes in some instances.
Riders were often replacing their ten-speed chains not because they had reached their wear limit, but rather because of the critical loss of shifting crispness with increased mileage.
On some bikes, I would reverse the top and bottom pullies, tightening up the shifting response by eliminating float in the top pulley.
The problem was worst when the widest-ranging 11-28t cassette was used, since the derailer's B-tension screw needed to be tightened to pull the derailer cage away from the cassette when using the largest cogs while in the small chainring. So shifting suffered in many of the other gears, particularly the big ring combined with the smaller cogs on the cassette.

The hidden cables put additional demands on servicing due to their tighter bends, and an added tight radius inside of the newer shifters not only increased friction and elasticity along the cable's path, but also induced a rapid fatiguing of the cable at that location.

Shimano's 11s system arrived with a new lower actuation ratio derailer that utilized longer cable movements that were less affected by the finite elasticity and friction of the cable. This was absolutely necessary at this point when internal cabling had become de-rigeur on good road bikes, since the cable routing now had even more bend radii to deal with in some cases.

Bottom line is that with the 10 speed and hidden cables, any deterioration of the cabling may very well combine with any other condition (such as a SRAM chain) to create a no-shift condition.
And any added cable tension caused by an even slightly over-tight lo-limit screw on the rear derailer will result in frequently-broken cables.

I note here that with the Tiagra gruppo still having only 10 speeds, and now using hidden cables, that Shimano went ahead and incorporated the new 11s actuation ratio into the 10s Tiagra rear derailer. So if one wants to use 10s parts and have hidden cables, the Tiagra 10s levers (with their longer cable travel) are the ones to get.

Dasarbule
02-26-2019, 05:06 AM
I note here that with the Tiagra gruppo still having only 10 speeds, and now using hidden cables, that Shimano went ahead and incorporated the new 11s actuation ratio into the 10s Tiagra rear derailer. So if one wants to use 10s parts and have hidden cables, the Tiagra 10s levers (with their longer cable travel) are the ones to get.

It should be noted that the Tiagra 4700 levers require the use of a Shimano 11 speed RD to create the 10 speed shift

weisan
02-26-2019, 05:36 AM
Bianchi pal, I saw your thread about taking care of this kid, good on you for doing that, this is what I would do.

I would replace the tiagra shifters with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LQQK-SHIMAN...QAAOSwDNRcdJjY

And...called it done.

I have bikes armed with 9,10,11 speed systems.

I still ride the 9 speed a lot, no issue whatsoever, the Ultegra shifters will make a difference.

Cheapest and makes the most sense.

oldpotatoe
02-26-2019, 07:08 AM
Bianchi pal, I saw your thread about taking care of this kid, good on you for doing that, this is what I would do.

I would replace the tiagra shifters with this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LQQK-SHIMAN...QAAOSwDNRcdJjY

And...called it done.

I have bikes armed with 9,10,11 speed systems.

I still ride the 9 speed a lot, no issue whatsoever, the Ultegra shifters will make a difference.

Cheapest and makes the most sense.

Replace with that orange parka for that kid..:)

fmradio516
02-26-2019, 07:30 AM
Replace with that orange parka for that kid..:)

:p