PDA

View Full Version : Stel and carbon madeleine...

catulle
11-25-2006, 09:40 AM
I just ran into the picture below of a new rendition of the hallowed Mercier bicycle. I've also noticed that the formerly great Legnano brand has recently been receiving mouth to mouth resuscitation from some venture capitalist. As with watches, big bucks entrepreneurs have been catering to the lost youth melancholia of baby-boomers by reviving old brands and charging an arm and a leg for their trouble. However, more often than not the result is an ill-conceived replica of Scarlett with the Queen of England's body and demeanor, atmo. Oh, well...

Ooops, sorry for the typo on the title.

Serpico
11-25-2006, 09:44 AM
http://bikesdirect.com

dbrk
11-25-2006, 09:51 AM
The Legnano brand is, or was, owned by Bianchi. When DP considered a pair of Luigino steel for Dr Cotcamp and me, he travelled to the Bianchi factory to have a look at the Legnano paint schemes. Like Bianchi "celeste", which has undergone many iterations of shade---from an original blue to what is certainly more green---so too Legnanos, which appeared in many colors, worked with their signature, a soupy green that began more gold before it darkened up over the years.

Motobecane actually never got out of the bike business. They were MBK for a period, making frames for Tour teams. It's good to see the whole name on the downtube again.

It would be a shame imhoatmoclko to see Legnano come back the way we see this Mercier or the latest Masis. These are brands and whoever builds them legally is certainly building Mercier or Masi, this I would never dispute.
All things must pass but some things might be left well enough alone.

dbrk

p.s. Thanks to obtuse for the correction...

obtuse
11-25-2006, 10:07 AM
mbk is not the new motobecane. the new motobecane is an american company who bought the rights to the name and make horrible bikes in china. mbk is a french company that is the old motobecane.

obtuse

Grant McLean
11-25-2006, 11:20 AM
http://bikesdirect.com

Interesting looking "windsor" track bike for $299
I bet you could ride the hour in 60 minutes on one of those...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/images/hour_silver_2100.jpg

g

ergott
11-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Interesting looking "windsor" track bike for $299
I bet you could ride the hour in 60 minutes on one of those...

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/images/hour_silver_2100.jpg

g

see signature;-)

CarbonTi
11-25-2006, 11:35 AM
All these names being bought up and re-emerged as Far-East bikes is a hack-job to the market place. Those that know what these names were won't care a whit about these abominations and those who don't know the significance of the name won't feel any allure. Buying these names is not aimed at a knowledgable bike fan but the mass market numbers make it worth the subterfuge.

A.L.Breguet
11-25-2006, 05:06 PM
All these names being bought up and re-emerged as Far-East bikes is a hack-job to the market place. Those that know what these names were won't care a whit about these abominations and those who don't know the significance of the name won't feel any allure. Buying these names is not aimed at a knowledgable bike fan but the mass market numbers make it worth the subterfuge.
Exact same thing goes on in the watch biz. Sometimes the results are very sad, sometimes the new owner of a name manages to do the brand's history justice. :crap:

catulle
11-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Exact same thing goes on in the watch biz. Sometimes the results are very sad, sometimes the new owner of a name manages to do the brand's history justice. :crap:

As with watches, big bucks entrepreneurs have been catering to the lost youth melancholia of baby-boomers by reviving old brands and charging an arm and a leg for their trouble.

The artisan who intervenes directly in the manufacture of the product that carries his name is very scarce now days. Hayek has as much to do with his Breguet watches as the CEO of Trek has to do with putting together the bicycles that carry the Trek brand name. Or Philippe Stern with Patek Philippe and the CEO of Giant with his bicycles, for that matter. So call Atmo today for a bike before he goes to Hooters, atmo.

obtuse
11-25-2006, 05:20 PM
As with watches, big bucks entrepreneurs have been catering to the lost youth melancholia of baby-boomers by reviving old brands and charging an arm and a leg for their trouble.

The artisan who intervenes directly in the manufacture of the product that carries his name is very scarce now days. Hayek has as much to do with his Breguet watches as the CEO of Trek has to do with putting together the bicycles that carry the Trek brand name. Or Philippe Stern with Patek Philippe and the CEO of Giant with his bicycles, for that matter. So call Atmo today for a bike before he goes to Hooters, atmo.

the artisan has never had very much to do with the bicycles reknowned as "old brands".

obtuse

Grant McLean
11-25-2006, 06:14 PM
the artisan has never had very much to do with the bicycles reknowned as "old brands".

obtuse

Next you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus!

I hear that Valentino Campagnolo personally tensions all the neutron
wheels with a spoke key given to him by Tullio. That's why they ride so nice.

:)

g

ergott
11-25-2006, 06:16 PM

True that. In know who is building my next bike and wheels;-)

atmo
11-25-2006, 06:17 PM

obtuse
there never has been, nor will there ever be, a quartz atmo atmo.

A.L.Breguet
11-25-2006, 07:03 PM
there never has been, nor will there ever be, a quartz atmo atmo.
Touche, ATMO.

atmo
11-25-2006, 07:04 PM
Touche, ATMO.
is that how you spell that atmo?

A.L.Breguet
11-25-2006, 07:08 PM
is that how you spell that atmo?
Papa Hayek took away my accent key!

atmo
11-25-2006, 07:16 PM
i was confused and thought you were
giving me a poch in the tuchus atmo.

catulle
11-25-2006, 07:33 PM

A.L., just to assuage Atmo's discomfort at the sight of a spelling or grammatical error, which tends to be a common occurrence with the learned, next time you ought to use a key of your own, albeit one from 1905, atmo.

atmo
11-25-2006, 07:36 PM
A.L., just to assuage Atmo's discomfort at the sight of a spelling or grammatical error, which tends to be a common occurrence with the learned, next time you ought to use a key of your own, albeit one from 1905, atmo.
he said touche atmo and i expected the same beatings
the rabbis handed out at yeshiva atmo. iirc the nuns at
st. whatevers don't have a franchise on the cane.

catulle
11-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Ok, Atmo, we'll let you share some of Grant's juice, atmo...

atmo
11-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Ok, Atmo, we'll let you share some of Grant's juice, atmo...
better his juice than his tomb atmo.

catulle
11-25-2006, 07:49 PM
better his juice than his tomb atmo.

Depends, atmo...

atmo
11-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Depends, atmo...
if she needs depends than my name isn't atmo atmo.

stevep
11-25-2006, 08:31 PM
atmo,'
how was the race today?
anything?
s

atmo
11-25-2006, 08:39 PM
atmo,'
how was the race today?
anything?
s

anything?
yeah some guy came up to me and wanted
only 3 minutes, and i said yeah, for you i
have all the time in the world (that - because
i looked into his eyes and i saw the d.s. of my
dreams) and then 4-5 minutes later i realized
it wasn't you at all, but some cat with a north
shore patois atmo.

bessette won as did her johnson half.

manet
11-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Next you'll tell me there's no Santa Claus!

g

yo ho

Grant McLean
11-26-2006, 09:34 AM
yo ho

War always has casualities.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200511210003

g

catulle
11-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Did O'Reilly manage to pay his way out of the sexual harassment charges levied against him, after all? What a pathetic case of spiritual constipation he is, atmo.

Grant McLean
11-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Did O'Reilly manage to pay his way out of the sexual harassment charges levied against him, after all? What a pathetic case of spiritual constipation he is, atmo.

http://www.apegga.com/members/Publications/peggs/Web05-05/images/bigcheque.jpg

g