PDA

View Full Version : Cinelli 63-40?

L84dinr
11-25-2006, 08:44 AM
I have been experimenting with different handlebars/width combos, and tried an old 63 Cinelli. Can't find info re: said H-Bar. I liked it, it is comfortable, but the 40 is too narrow for me. Also tried a 66-42 cinelli. Did not like it. The 63 was almost as comfortable as the 65 type bars.

Thanks,

coylifut
11-25-2006, 09:09 AM
I have been experimenting with different handlebars/width combos, and tried an old 63 Cinelli. Can't find info re: said H-Bar. I liked it, it is comfortable, but the 40 is too narrow for me. Also tried a 66-42 cinelli. Did not like it. The 63 was almost as comfortable as the 65 type bars.

Thanks,

i have a set of 63s in size 40 from when I was a junior. I've found both the Oval Concepts and Ritchey WCS Classic are the closest modern day equivalent. I know where to find the Oval Concepts bar if you need help. No. I don't sell them myself.

L84dinr
11-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Is the Oval made in a Silver? I am using a WCS classic currently on the PEG. I like it bunches. The dealio with the current h_bars is they are all black. I have silver quill stems, (i am working with a bike from '99 with 1" head tube). I don't want to mix black bars with the silver stems. I have looked for some black stems. I've seen a few... Not to enamored with the looks of them, except for a few cinellis which are black...

I have even thought about carrying a few stems to the local powder coater and having them coated in a Matte finish.

Thanks,

CarbonTi
11-25-2006, 11:21 AM
I have a set of NOS Cinelli 63's and the current day Ritchey WCS 145mm drop Classica they are identical to the 63's except for the color (and the O.D.). Stripping the black finish from components has been done using Easy-Off oven cleaner. A little Simichrome polish afterwards to clean it up. Only downside is a high gloss on the bars center section might not agree to taste.

L84dinr
11-26-2006, 09:20 AM
CarbonTi thanks for the heads up on the oven cleaner. I will give it a shot. Scotch brite will dull the shiny aluminum.
Thanks,

coylifut
11-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Is the Oval made in a Silver? I am using a WCS classic currently on the PEG. I like it bunches. The dealio with the current h_bars is they are all black. I have silver quill stems, (i am working with a bike from '99 with 1" head tube). I don't want to mix black bars with the silver stems. I have looked for some black stems. I've seen a few... Not to enamored with the looks of them, except for a few cinellis which are black...

I have even thought about carrying a few stems to the local powder coater and having them coated in a Matte finish.

Thanks,

you'll be the only one who notices and that'll last a few days at most. if it's still a source of bother, you could always go the powder coat route or better yet find a used Salsa pinch bolt stem and remove the decal. bikes from that era often used that type of a stem.

have fun