PDA

View Full Version : Need your help

Jay Torborg
05-04-2004, 01:16 AM
It was almost five years ago that I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. At the time, I was working in a high stress job and was more-or-less a couch potato. After getting through my first round of chemotherapy, I decided to reduce my stress level and get into better shape. Among other things, I started cycling and was probably doing 1000 miles a year when my cancer relapsed. While I was undergoing a second, more aggressive round of chemo, I joined the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training to train for my first century ride. I was hooked. I bought my first Serotta about six months later and now spend a significant part of my free time on my bike. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been in my life and have been cancer free for almost two years.

As with most cancer survivors who are cyclists, Lance Armstrong has been a real inspiration for me. But I’ve been particularly intrigued with his foundation. There’s been very little research done on the long term effects of cancer treatments or the effects of diet and exercise on cancer recurrence. These are just some of the things that the LAF is helping to fund.

This summer, I plan to cycle across the entire US to help raise money for the Lance Armstrong Foundation, raise awareness for cancer survivors, and to celebrate five years since being diagnosed with cancer. I’ve signed up for a PAC tour, which is a supported high-speed tour from coast to coast (WA to VA), averaging 132 mi/day for 26 days with no rest days.

I’ve been very impressed by the generosity of many of the members of this forum and I’m hoping you’ll help me by making a donation to the Lance Armstrong Foundation. I’ve put together a website (http://www.jaysbigride.com) describing my ride and providing a secure link for donations.

As an added incentive, I'm offering some of my beautiful photographs (I'm now a professional nature photographer) for "sale" in exchange for a donation.

On behalf of all those whose lives are affected by cancer, I thank you for your support - with your donation we can make a positive impact on the lives of all cancer survivors.

soulspinner
05-04-2004, 08:30 AM
God speed and continued wellness. This year besides riding the local Lance Foundation ride I have volunteersd to help with fundraising efforts, as I have experience in the field. I hope everybody out there steps up their efforts in the fight against this menacing disease. It scares the hell out of me personally and has taken a loved one. Thanks for your efforts, and ride safely.

Soul