PDA

View Full Version : Tinkoff...

oldguy00
11-24-2006, 10:10 PM
So what level is this team at?? I know thats not the right terminology...
But...they don't have a Pro Tour license, do they? What does that mean in terms of which races they can attend? Classics? Grand tours??

BumbleBeeDave
11-24-2006, 10:21 PM
. . . which means they are one step below the ProTour. ProTour teams are guaranteed entry into certain events either because it's a proTour requirement or because of the investment the sponsor has made--or both.

I think in at least the the "Grand Tours" ProTour teams are required to field a team and guaranteed entry. Then there are other "wild card" slots awarded to teams the organizers feel will contribute to the competitiveness of the race. Tinkoff will ride in lesser events, but could also be granted entry in larger events--or not.

And, of course, politics plays a role. Tinkoff has hired some very good riders, and normally that would be a plus in bettering their chances of being offered wild card entries. But I personally think it will be very interesting to see if there is any informal effort to "punish" tinkoff for hiring so many riders who have either been sanctioned for doping or are under investigation . . . Hamilton, Hondo, and several others. Mt. Tinkoff seems to have no hesitation to go against the grain, and in the Good Old Boys club that is pro cycling, he's an outsider and may get punished for that.

BBD