PDA

View Full Version : Bicycling Koans to achieve enlightment

tv_vt
02-21-2019, 03:35 PM
A kōan is a story, dialogue, question, or statement which is used in Zen practice to provoke the "great doubt" and to practice or test a student's progress in Zen.

For example:

Which is better, clinchers or tubulars?

Is Rapha worth the price?

Is steel the best frame material?

Is Campy dead?

Is pro cycling clean?

Etc. ;)

(Inspired by the tubular popularity thread...)

Clean39T
02-21-2019, 04:19 PM
Rolling just to keep on rolling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tylercheung
02-21-2019, 04:37 PM
rim vs disc being the biggest one of late...

grognaak
02-21-2019, 04:55 PM
I’m busted.

“The Great Way is not difficult if you don’t pick and choose.” -John Tarrant

Hence, steel and Campagnolo. Duh.

MikeD
02-21-2019, 05:03 PM
A bicycle Zen koen:

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am your disciple."

weisan
02-21-2019, 09:22 PM
Rolling just to keep on rolling.

O Wise One, please accept me as your disciple.

Rudy
02-21-2019, 09:28 PM
What is the sound of a headwind blowing?

Clean39T
02-22-2019, 01:18 AM
O Wise One, please accept me as your disciple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEpR1AL4El8

Apologies for the rest of the song if it isn't your jam - Lanegan holds a special place in my heart from years past - but that's another story for another day...

benito
02-22-2019, 03:10 AM
Spin to spin.

OtayBW
02-22-2019, 08:19 AM
A kōan is a story, dialogue, question, or statement which is used in Zen practice to provoke the "great doubt" and to practice or test a student's progress in Zen.

For example:

Which is better, clinchers or tubulars?

Is Rapha worth the price?

Is steel the best frame material?

Is Campy dead?

Is pro cycling clean?

Etc. ;)

(Inspired by the tubular popularity thread...)Nice, but WAY too much 'thinking'. The Roshi would never ask such questions, and if you presented something along these lines, he'd whack you with the keisaku and send you packing!

ScottW
02-22-2019, 09:13 AM
How would bicycle design differ if our knees bent the other way?

Drmojo
02-22-2019, 11:02 PM
I have this quote in fine calligraphy on fine
Japanese paper framed on my wall
in 1990
Gift from an ex lover
Words to live by
deja vu from an old thread?

A bicycle Zen koen:

A Zen Teacher saw five of his students return from the market, riding their bicycles. When they had dismounted, the teacher asked the students, "Why are you riding your bicycles?"

The first student replied, "The bicycle is carrying this sack of potatoes. I am glad that I do not have to carry them on my back!" The teacher praised the student, saying, "You are a smart boy. When you grow old, you will not walk hunched over, as I do."

The second student replied, "I love to watch the trees and fields pass by as I roll down the path." The teacher commended the student, "Your eyes are open and you see the world."

The third student replied, "When I ride my bicycle, I am content to chant, nam myoho renge kyo." The teacher gave praise to the third student, "Your mind will roll with the ease of a newly trued wheel."

The fourth student answered, "Riding my bicycle, I live in harmony with all beings." The teacher was pleased and said, "You are riding on the golden path of non-harming."

The fifth student replied, "I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle." The teacher went and sat at the feet of the fifth student, and said, "I am your disciple."[/QUOTE]

weisan
02-22-2019, 11:23 PM
I have this quote in fine calligraphy on fine
Japanese paper framed on my wall

mojo pal, can you please take a picture of it? I would love to see it. Thank you.

Peter B
02-23-2019, 12:05 AM
Posting for DrMojo...

Drmojo
02-23-2019, 12:09 AM
Thx to Rockstar
This is one of a kind
Made just for me

weisan
02-23-2019, 05:19 AM
Thank you Peter. Thank you mojo.

https://www.buddhistdoor.net/upload/file/20150704/294/36098dd408cdfd35e62ba74386106135_350__2.jpg

cinco
02-23-2019, 05:38 AM
Is Zwift racing, racing?

merckx
02-23-2019, 07:19 AM
What is the sound of a headwind blowing?

My wife can answer that question after I have consumed a black bean burrito.