PDA

View Full Version : hypnos, me, and 650B

dbrk
11-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Bless our own Hypnos 'cause he called me this morning lookin' to ramble in the Finger Lakes hills. He brought his Bleriot, Rivendell's remarkably affordable 650B, and I rode, well...I rode a 650B from another manufacture.

It was a beautiful day here and felt warmer in the sunshine than it might have been, about 40 odd degrees. I was overdressed but Hypnos hit it right on the mark. We headed out of the driveway at about 10:30am, which provides, of course, the first stretch of gravel road until we reach pavement at the quarter mile mark. A short climb (what else around here?) as we began the six mile descent that heads to Honeyoe Lake. But we turned off quickly heading north and west and soon hit a "new" stretch of gravel that lopes through some woods before rejoining a familiar Ramble road that continues north till we turn again to pass the Scottish Highland cattle and bison. (Kevan will particularly remember a photo taken there, as will other TdFlers.) Further western passage over the seemingly endless rollers, never a flat spot en route when I pointed out the tall tower in the distance that would provide our ascent of the day. I've recently found a handful of roads that follow the southerly route paralleling Honeyoe Lake on the ridges above. We ambled, though Hypnos always keeps a good pace and can drop you like a stone on the climbs if he's feelin' frisky. The good news is that he was out at 7:30 yesterday morning doing the hammerfest and was congenial to my less taxing notions of ride and ramble. The red tail hawks are always present here but with the leaves gone, the fields empty and largely turned under, and the bare stretches of forest providing long lines of sight, we were able to see through the forest as well as across the long vistas. The last ridge above the lake is a long, steady climb and the view south towards the wine town of Naples is particularly beautiful. Then two steep and fast descents, the sort that make your eyes tear and that you never want to end. A short lakeside jaunt and then the six mile climb out of Richmond Honeyoe and back to the house, all told about two and a half hours. Perfect.

These are the perfect bikes for a relatively easy, ramble through the lake country hills. Hypnos is great company. We talked family, Forum, bikes and bits, sights, and friends. He says he's out of shape. It would be fatal to ride with him _in_ shape 'cause TdFLers will recall his formidable climbing skills---they have not suffered, no matter what he says.

The weather is supposed to remain this perfect high sky sunshine for the weekend, unusual for late November but who's complainin'? It's hard to describe just how pleasant these endless country roads are but instead I hope some of you will return or visit with us again. I ride alone most of the time and it was a real treat to have a friend. Thanks Hypnos!

dbrk

Ahneida Ride
11-26-2006, 11:24 AM
Ah yes ... Hypnos.

Hypnos is up and down the hill twice, By the time I reach the top.

I did 30 over the "Alps" in Ludlow Vt. Yesterday.
Great day to ride.

Tom Byrnes
11-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Ah yes . . Cycling in the Finger Lakes in the company of Douglas, Jeff and Ray.

Reading Douglas's ride report brings back wonderful memories and images of my trips to Douglas's neighborhood and the very fine folks at the TDFLs.

I am glad to hear that you guys got a break in your usual winter weather to get in some riding in decent weather.

I rode my Weigle 650B on Thanksgiving Day down to the beach and south towards Palos Verde. A great ride on a great day on a great bike. Lots to be grateful for.

:) :)

Tom

Kevan
11-26-2006, 03:28 PM
As if I didn't get enough bicycle during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I plop into the home-office chair, read this thread, and rekindle some old bicycle memories. I hope this summer will work that I pay you and the others another visit. And please, if you're ever in my hood and want to explore this area, just knock.

Sandy
11-26-2006, 04:23 PM
As if I didn't get enough bicycle during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I plop into the home-office chair, read this thread, and rekindle some old bicycle memories. I hope this summer will work that I pay you and the others another visit. And please, if you're ever in my hood and want to explore this area, just knock.

Knock Knock!!

Sandy

hypnos
11-26-2006, 09:10 PM
How fortunate we were, Douglas, to be blessed with such nice weather these past four days. Thank you for your company. I can't remember a more enjoyable Thanksgiving weekend. While reports about my prowess on the bike are greatly exaggerated, I must say that Doug's bike handling skills on gravel roads are truly remarkable.

Ken Robb
11-26-2006, 11:38 PM
For the past 14 days Leslie and I have been trying to choose the granite, tile, appliances , etc. for the remodel of our kitchen and baths. This has taken up about all of the spare time we have. I know it will be worht it but jeez---I haven't thrown a leg over a bike since I sent the Friday back for the thoriugh check up it was due before delivery to me.

DBRK can sympathize I know due to his present remodeling project and he's moving walls.

Kevan
11-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Knock Knock!! Sandy

Who's there?

Kevan
11-27-2006, 07:10 AM
For the past 14 days Leslie and I have been trying to choose the granite, tile, appliances , etc. for the remodel of our kitchen and baths. This has taken up about all of the spare time we have. I know it will be worht it but jeez---I haven't thrown a leg over a bike since I sent the Friday back for the thoriugh check up it was due before delivery to me.

DBRK can sympathize I know due to his present remodeling project and he's moving walls.

see you in 2 week's time.

dbrk
11-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Here's a view that some will remember from Finger Lakes Tours and Rambles.

dbrk

Julia Hampsten
11-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Here's a view that some will remember from Finger Lakes Tours and Rambles.

dbrk
And here's another. . .

Julia

Ginger
11-27-2006, 10:21 PM
HA! The dreaded driveway! I love that driveway. I'm sure by next year it will be all the crushed concrete will have sunk in and it will be the perfect dirt track.
I think my favorite memory of the last Ramble is encouraging (ok...harrassing) Weisan to stop walking, get on his bike and ride the stuff...and he did great! And next year he's planning on coming out to do the Deerfield! Another convert to dirt, how fun is that!
Douglas, thanks for your ride report. Hypnos really is a great riding companion, the roads there are wonderful, and the scenery is great. Thanks for the reminder!

Keith A
11-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Julia -- That part of the driveway was the easy part :) It was the section near the road with all the new gravel that was a little sketchy -- especially when you are riding someone else's bike.

Douglas -- Thanks for the trip down memory lane and for being such a wonderful part of this Serotta community.

Kevan
11-28-2006, 10:20 AM
That part of the driveway was the easy part :) It was the section near the road with all the new gravel that was a little sketchy -- especially when you are riding someone else's bike.

You quickly learn to put faith in the bike to hold you upright, stay off the brakes (except in the bald spots where you could check some speed), and keep a relaxed, but somewhat firm grip of the bars. Glad to know I wasn't the only one unnerved.

Just some added flavor to the ride is all.

Julia Hampsten
11-28-2006, 11:11 AM
Julia -- That part of the driveway was the easy part :) It was the section near the road with all the new gravel that was a little sketchy -- especially when you are riding someone else's bike.

Douglas -- Thanks for the trip down memory lane and for being such a wonderful part of this Serotta community.You're right, the lower part was the crazy part. I learned to pick the left track going out, it was less chunky - but I confess by the end I was kind of hooked on not being able to see because my vision was bouncing and purposely aimed for the boulders (okay I'm weird!) :D

The Ramble is a glowing memory of summer - thank you Douglas.

Ginger
11-28-2006, 11:31 AM

The faster you go, the easier that stuff is.

It's like surfing rocks...fun!

Keith A
11-28-2006, 12:38 PM
The faster you go, the easier that stuff is.So that's way dbrk would come barreling down the driveway.It's like surfing rocks...fun!But the penalty for falling is a bit more costly.