PDA

View Full Version : Help! Choosing a Cycling-Related Celebration of a Significant Milestone

exapkib
02-21-2019, 12:29 AM
I am reaching a particular long-anticipated point in my professional life at which I always told myself, “When ‘x’ happens, I will certainly celebrate with a meaningful cycling splurge.” Now that the time is on the doorstep (let’s just say the file passed through the department and college committees without a hitch, if you know what I mean. I should get word on the final decision in May), I’m unsure of what that splurge should look like. (Believe me—this is not because I haven’t spent lots of time daydreaming about possibilities . . . )

Budget is . . . complicated. It’s not unlimited, but there is a lot of stretch. Not “get on the waiting list for a new Firefly” kind of stretch, more like “scrimp and save for a really nice used frame” kind of stretch. To that end, I’ve got the following list of possibilities:

1. A titanium frameset? This was the original promise I made to myself, but it’s also the most expensive option on the table. I just don’t know if the outcome is worth the cost. If I decided it was, it would probably mean selling the Yamaguchi and I’m not sure how I feel about that, either. The dream was always to pick up a used Moots to mark successful passage through this process. It still holds great appeal to me. I am still thinking of just how much I could stretch the budget to make something like this happen. I’ve thought about the Merlin or the Duende (not Ti, but who would know?) currently listed in the classifieds, or something similar.

2. An outside-of-the-ordinary riding experience? Frankly, this is near the top of my list because it is is much less demanding financially, and it is also more appealing philosophically—I’m not necessarily a ‘stuff’ kind of a person. It would mean a bigger sacrifice for my family, and that’s where I’m hesitant. With little kids at home, it’s tough to disappear for more than a day. Were I to pull this off, it would likely crystallize into an extended bike-focused trip based in a spot where we have a ‘home base’ of sorts—probably Southern Utah or the Denver area.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4847/45420384834_83c7c2f4d2_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2ccDkZm)

I already know how much I like riding bikes in Southern Utah . . .

3. Wheels for the Yamaguchi (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=130123&page=6)? The current build has a pair of Record hubs built to some heavy old Mavic A119 rims. I’d love to shed some weight from the build, and this seems like the lowest hanging fruit. Plus, I’m curious about putting some more modern wheels on this frame to see how they might change the ride/handling/aesthetics.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4683/25316554938_c0607d3a0a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Ez8XLw)

(Gratuitous photo of the Yamaguchi)

4. Refinish/Repaint the Yamaguchi? I’ve toyed with this idea in the time that I’ve owned this fine frame, and maybe this is my chance to get it done. This would lead into an entirely different conversation about how this frame should be refinished, but that’s a conversation I’m willing to have.

5. Similarly, I’ve often thought about ordering a custom stem that matches the Yamaguchi’s aesthetics better and gets the bars where I like them. (I passed the custom stem in the above photo on as it was just too long for me. Dang it.) Seems like such a splurge, but this particular life event is the kind that leads a person to think about splurging just a little bit.

Apologies for the wordiness. Mostly just thinking out loud. Other thoughts/possibilities? (Clearly overthinking this, but where would online forums be without the overthinkers of this world?)

Louis
02-21-2019, 12:36 AM
If you have a family and can't do the "Dad's week away at cycling mecca XYZ" thing, then I'd go with a family vacation in a great cycling area with a few half-days built into the schedule for long rides.

To celebrate a big event I think wheels are a bit meh. A vacation, on the other hand, can truly be memorable for everyone involved.

Clean39T
02-21-2019, 01:20 AM
I'm hitting a milestone this year and doing this: http://www.oregontrailgravelgrinder.com. It's not a Cinghiale tour, which would have been my first choice, but also doesn't cost as much and is a lot easier to get to...

I also like Louis' idea of doing a bike-friendly family vacation - so long as the expectation is set up front that you're going to get the hall pass as often as you want it (get it in writing, or on video - :D).

As for the Yamaguchi - you may enjoy some TB-14 rims on there, a bit wider and more cozy with 25s or 28s if you can fit them. Or buy some cheap tubulars when they inevitably get posted - I think Teleguy57 has hinted at some Nemesis to silver Chorus being available - which would be perfect...

What about a Walt-Works gravel bike? Go take his class or partial class, get a new frame, and do some riding in Park City?

FlashUNC
02-21-2019, 01:33 AM
Keep the Gooch. Book the trip. A central location with the family gives everyone the best of both worlds.

CNY rider
02-21-2019, 05:36 AM
You already have a nice bicycle.
Take the experience with your family.

MoparPorsche
02-21-2019, 06:31 AM
Get a nice set of used wheels, and a little family trip where you can spend part of the day enjoying the bike and new wheels.

Lionel
02-21-2019, 06:46 AM
I'm hitting a milestone this year and doing this: http://www.oregontrailgravelgrinder.com. It's not a Cinghiale tour, which would have been my first choice, but also doesn't cost as much and is a lot easier to get to...

this looks like fun !

Joel
02-21-2019, 06:52 AM
For sure #2.

And here, https://www.velovercors.com/

I've been there three times, or maybe it's four...wonderful place and people!

timto
02-21-2019, 07:23 AM
I'd splurge on a custom stem. The yama is too nice to replace with a Ti frame, and a custom stem is a nice premium special thing that takes that bike to 11 and reinforces your commitment to it. Also your wheels are already bad @ss and a perfect compliment to that frame.

Combine that with a nice brunch out with the family to celebrate and your golden. No trip planning, no travel no time away, no big expense.

When my kids were younger I'd always feel too much guilt when I spent too much time on myself. During a year where I was doing many double centuries I'd always be thinking of missed time with the tots and partner guilt. Sounds like you have some of that too.

oldpotatoe
02-21-2019, 07:31 AM
Number 3..get somebody to build you a set of really nice tubulars..and eventually, you'll switch all your wheels to that tried and true, technology..

vincenz
02-21-2019, 08:03 AM
It seems to me you like your current bike. I wouldn’t buy another bike if you had to replace it, only if you could do n+1.

I don’t see anything wrong with the paint or wheels either and with the current components works well as a whole package. I don’t like the idea of respraying any bike unless the original paint job is badly damaged.

I would then go for both the trip AND the stem. A custom stem couldn’t be that much more compared to a new bike or wheels. I would go for a color to match the fork. Then go on that trip with the family with that bike.

Thank me later.

Matthew
02-21-2019, 08:14 AM
You worked hard. Screw the family. Get a Moots.

papa bless
02-21-2019, 08:20 AM
Bike trip for sure. Material possessions can get lost, broken, or boring. But an adventure is in your head forever, and will always be there for you to look back and smile on.

GregL
02-21-2019, 08:22 AM
Go for the riding experience / cycling trip. Looking back, my best memories are of the people and places that I have met and experienced through cycling. The bikes/toys were fun, but the people and places are the memories that make me smile.

Greg

pdonk
02-21-2019, 08:26 AM
I vote for trip and stem.

Having taken a dream cycling trip to Moab, it is in my head all the time.

For the stem, send Paul Brodie a message, he does runs of stems from time to time and they are quite affordable.

Then again, my new SV is a milestone was based on a work milestone, and my moots was my wedding present so things are good too....

T-Crush
02-21-2019, 09:09 AM
When I turned 40 I ordered a new Colnago. The wife planned a get-away with my closest riding friends to celebrate (the birthday, not the bike). An 85 mile ride to Laguna Beach (on the new 'Nag), met the wives down there for a great dinner and a night at a cool boutique hotel.

I remember the trip far more than the bike.

Irishgirl
02-21-2019, 09:28 AM
Thanks for posting as I’m at a life transition and looking to celebrate with a bike related expense/experience. Enjoying reading the suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gummee
02-21-2019, 09:44 AM

I also like Louis' idea of doing a bike-friendly family vacation - so long as the expectation is set up front that you're going to get the hall pass as often as you want it (get it in writing, or on video - :D).

As for the Yamaguchi - you may enjoy some TB-14 rims on there, a bit wider and more cozy with 25s or 28s if you can fit them. Or buy some cheap tubulars when they inevitably get posted - I think Teleguy57 has hinted at some Nemesis to silver Chorus being available - which would be perfect...

What about a Walt-Works gravel bike? Go take his class or partial class, get a new frame, and do some riding in Park City?

TB14s would fit the aesthetic of that frame to a T, but aren't notably lighter or more bling. I have a pair on my steel frame and they're very nice. As a bonus, they're not very expensive in the scheme of things

I'll bet both y'all need a vacation with young'uns around, so why not a half day for you in the AM and a half day for her in the PM at a resort somewhere where there's nice riding, etc? The kids will appreciate the vacation and may make some memories that will last a lifetime

M

Mzilliox
02-21-2019, 09:57 AM
You say its hard to leave your family, and I sorta understand that, but in reality, whats 3 or 4 days away from your family for self care time? Its not really a sacrifice to leave, its simply feels that way. Im sure your capable significant other is more than able to keep the young people alive for a couple of days while you are gone.

who knows, maybe they'd like some time to themselves, you've been around an awful lot lately.:eek:

Hawker
02-21-2019, 10:45 AM
As a guy whose children are just now presenting me with grandchildren...and realizing how quickly all that passes; I vote for doing something with the family WITH the understanding and agreement from your wife that it's just fine that you schedule some really great cycling time. Plan it out in advance so there is no confusion. However, whenever there are small children involved "things" can arise...to be prepared for that.

Also, that is one super gorgeous bike. I would love to see a painted custom stem. :)

ScottW
02-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Pre-congrats on your not-yet-accomplishment. BTDT, about 12 years ago for wifey and me (we met in school).

Professional milestones like these typically command a bit of a pay bump. You can probably afford to do any/many of those things if you prioritize and stretch them out.
You already have a nice bike, so N+1 or a different N+0 nice bike wouldn't top my list. From your photo it doesn't appear anywhere close to needing a repaint/refinish either.
Get a stem that fits how you want it to. Then a wheel upgrade if you want. Those two will pay dividends anytime you ride.

Then do as others have suggested and book a family-compatible trip with lots of cycling time built in for you. Family vacay costs more than you alone, but will be worth it. Wifey probably deserves some reward for supporting you in any number of ways during your educational pursuits, plus it avoids any potential bitching by her or guilt on your part about leaving her at home with the kids for several days.

CNY rider
02-21-2019, 11:19 AM
You worked hard. Screw the family.

That's what someone told Woody Allen long ago, but I think he took it the wrong way.

notsew
02-21-2019, 11:34 AM
Take the family on a trip. The key to success here, with little children involved, is to bring a grandmother. That way there is a helper around when you are out gallivanting on your bike and the guilt quotient is significantly reduced.

The limiting factor is of course your and your wife's relationship with said grandparent.

When we've gone on trips and taken grandma, I've been able to ride nearly everyday. An alternative that can also work well is to go with another family so the riders can ride and the non-riders can hang with kids then do something else when the riders aren't riding.

On the other hand, Moots are really nice bikes...

exapkib
02-21-2019, 12:25 PM
I sure appreciate the thoughtful replies. As with so many things that happen here on the forum, you responses largely confirm what I was already feeling--time is the only absolutely limited resource. I'm going to have to figure something out that creates some time to have a unique experience on the bike.

As any of you who have gone through this process (the road to tenure) know, the stresses and demands that it brings are not limited to the candidate alone, but spill out over everyone close to her/him. In many ways, I owe my wife more than she owes me at this stage of the game. Most of the time I'm just grateful we've made it this far into the process (started grad school 17 years ago, began my current job six years ago) in as good shape as we have. We both love the situation that we have ended up in, and if (as it appears) this review goes through favorably, we can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that I will be able to continue in this position for a long time to come.

I'm feeling more certain that some form of family get away in which I bring the bike along is the most feasible and appropriate option. Additionally, it can be accomplished on a relatively small budget, which means that springing for a stem may not be out of the question . . .

Thanks again for being such a useful sounding board!

tv_vt
02-21-2019, 03:13 PM
Talk to Eric at Winter Bicycles about that stem.

Pick up some Campy wheels - Shamals, or even Zondas. You'll be surprised how nice they are. Or just rebuild the hubs you have with some newer rims and keep the silver spokes. HED Belgiums are the obvious pick these days for rims, but I really like my old school Ambrosio Excellights a lot. DT has some nice rims, too.

And enjoy that trip.

You'll get that ti frame eventually.

exapkib
02-21-2019, 04:53 PM
Talk to Eric at Winter Bicycles about that stem.

Pick up some Campy wheels - Shamals, or even Zondas. You'll be surprised how nice they are. Or just rebuild the hubs you have with some newer rims and keep the silver spokes. HED Belgiums are the obvious pick these days for rims, but I really like my old school Ambrosio Excellights a lot. DT has some nice rims, too.

And enjoy that trip.

You'll get that ti frame eventually.

Yamaguchi isn't building separate stems any more, so Winter is definitely at the top of my list for the stem. I was chatting with David Kirk about stem building at NAHBS and he said that it's just not worth it to build stems separately--you can't charge enough to make it worth the time it takes.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

soulspinner
02-22-2019, 06:53 AM
For sure #2.

And here, https://www.velovercors.com/

I've been there three times, or maybe it's four...wonderful place and people!

looks amazing!

weisan
02-22-2019, 08:28 AM
exapkib pal, if I may, share some of my thinking on this.

I like to think of life as a sum total of "little" experiences or encounters added together. Some come in bigger chunks like main course, others more like side dishes or desserts. I LOVE side dishes and desserts! More so than the main dish. That's why my friends often see me eating my chocolate cake before the fried chicken is served.

What am I talking about here?

Well, there's really no right or wrong answer here and we all do it slightly differently based on our preference.

Instead of saving up for that dream bike, I like to buy mini dream bikes.
Instead of signing up for that dream tour, I like to go on mini excursions.

To me, time is the most precious and irreversible piece of the whole puzzle.

I believe one bird in the hand is better than two in the air.

I don't wait for the perfect opportunity to present itself, I like to seize the moment.

I try to take advantage of what's in front of me instead of waiting for the next thing to come forth. You just never know, they may never come.

Time waits for no man.

You can't buy time.

It's not for sale.

Everyone is given their rightful amount with respect to time.

Use it or lose it.

There's no refund or do it over.

Now.

Is.

The.

Time.

Do.

It.

Now.

R3awak3n
02-22-2019, 08:34 AM
the only bike you should replace that yamaguchi for is another yamaguchi. Keep the guchi and get some new wheels for it, you can get a nice set of wheels and still have plenty of money left for a nice bike trip (at least compared to buying a moots).

The other thing could be getting a bike that can take bigger tires so you could do mixed terrain rides (if you are into that stuff, otherwise nevermind).

exapkib
02-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Wise words, Weisan (or were they weis words?).

I'm definitely feeling that pull--as usual, it's mostly a question of balance. Balancing the things in this life that are truly limited--time, childhood, health, youth, etc.

TimD
02-22-2019, 10:24 AM
If you haven't done a tour, this might be a good one to start with. (https://www.adventurecycling.org/guided-tours/fully-supported-tours/2019-cycle-montana-missoula/)

bocobiking
02-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Last year was our 50th Anniversary. To celebrate, we planned a family celebration in a location relatively equidistant from us (Colorado), our son/family (Seattle), and daughter/family (Pasadena). The location happened to be Paso Robles CA (I said 'roughly' ). Which happened to be the location of L'Eroica, one thing on my bucket list. This event required building up a classic bike, re-learning toe clips, practicing on gravel, and training for the ride's length and climbing—a wonderful 5- month project.

We all did many fun things together in CA, including a big anniversary dinner, and then I had a great ride on that Sunday. Some of the answers above sound like it’s an either/or: either you celebrate with family or you have fun on a bike. For me, the family celebration made the bike ride much better, and the ride enhanced the celebration.