PDA

View Full Version : A (Dis)taste of Amateur Racing in 2019

m4rk540
02-19-2019, 03:02 PM
If you have Instagram check out Cory Williams's 2nd story captioned, "The most disrespectful thing I've ever seen in a race."

www.instagram.com/nationsnumber1beast

dbnm
02-19-2019, 03:18 PM
revoke and suspend that fool.

redir
02-19-2019, 03:28 PM
Definite grounds for a suspension.

unterhausen
02-19-2019, 03:59 PM
All this over telling him to close a gap he let open.

Blue Jays
02-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Maybe a wasp flew into his mouth and he freaked out? :banana:

ultraman6970
02-19-2019, 04:48 PM
"The most disrespectful thing I've ever seen in a race."

And where is that?

Skenry
02-19-2019, 04:54 PM
Didn't notice anything bad. Just men racing, everyone wants to win and yet all of them, but one, will lose.

FlashUNC
02-19-2019, 05:09 PM
"The most disrespectful thing I've ever seen in a race."

And where is that?

Didn't notice anything bad. Just men racing, everyone wants to win and yet all of them, but one, will lose.

Don't spit on people in pacelines. If you do, don't be surprised if you're dealing with another kind of problem after the race.

ultraman6970
02-19-2019, 05:15 PM
Not spiting, is that i do not see where in the world is the section they want us to see... :) looks like there is a video and where is it? :) Just cant find the section that takes me to the video or pictures in question.

Peter P.
02-19-2019, 05:40 PM
All I see are photos-which Instagram post are we referring to?

KarlC
02-19-2019, 05:59 PM
All I see are photos-which Instagram post are we referring to?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0U1InH53Pg&feature=youtu.be

The issue starts at :50 and then at 1:07 it happens .

fourspin
02-19-2019, 06:03 PM

As a side note, that video quality is really great! I wish my crappy little camera performed that well.

Peter P.
02-19-2019, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the link, but I couldn't tell what happened, so please clue me in. Obviously, someone was bleeping mad about it!

unterhausen
02-19-2019, 08:01 PM
it's pathetic, he really should be sanctioned for spitting. I'm not sure what he was doing before that, just kinda sat up and got in everyone's way. I think he got upset that the race got too close to him while he was JRA.

The finish was pretty interesting. The guy in the white jersey is a monster, but he had no chance.

I was also unimpressed by the crash right at the beginning of the video

quickfeet
02-19-2019, 08:25 PM
In the rest of the Instagram story the poster said they called him a re**rd when he let a gap open up and he reacted by spitting on the guy in the video. Both actions are sh**ty and don’t belong in racing. The poster said the guy who spit needs to be able to take name calling, which is also a dumb arguement. No one is in the right here in my eyes. Reminds me of the guys in that American Crit video that made the rounds last month. All the people involved in this make crit racing suck.

m4rk540
02-19-2019, 08:58 PM
My DMs (Instagram Direct Messages) were blowing up this morning after Cory Williams posted the video. The resolution in the Instagram story wasn't as sharp as the video CW posted on youtube. Initially, I was under the impression that Justin Williams was spat on and the video reflected that greater egregiousness or racism. Turns out it was one of the Caucasian teammates who was victimized. Further developments revealed a witness claiming to have seen Cory W punch the spitter in the head at an earlier point in the race.

echappist
02-19-2019, 09:17 PM
My DMs (Instagram Direct Messages) were blowing up this morning after Cory Williams posted the video. The resolution in the Instagram story wasn't as sharp as the video CW posted on youtube. Initially, I was under the impression that Justin Williams was spat on and the video reflected that greater egregiousness or racism. Turns out it was one of the Caucasian teammates who was victimized. Further developments revealed a witness claiming to have seen Cory W punch the spitter in the head at an earlier point in the race.

as is with most things, better to let the story develop more fully before making an initial judgment

that said, i find the whole crit scene a bit baffling. Of course, there was that (in)famous Keough v Bahati incident going back about 9-10 years, and hot heads will do what hotheads do. Which is to say, unless we are talking about serious infractions here (think Theo Bos sending someone into the barriers), it's just all parts and parcel of bike racing (though spitting and punching both technically constitute battery...)

FlashUNC
02-19-2019, 09:23 PM

So guy gets punched, and his reaction is to spit on another dude on the team, passing the puncher in the process? Sure. Because that makes sense.

Kids an U23. USA Cycling should put him in timeout for a bit and move on.

tctyres
02-20-2019, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I was going to say that something happened off camera. #5 is waiting at the corner and then comes through looking for a specific racer.

#69 is a monster on that last lap. It's informative to see him control the lines. At one point, he holds another racer along the curb --- not running him off the road, just holding him in place.

tctyres
02-20-2019, 05:51 AM
Duplicate. :fight:

oldpotatoe
02-20-2019, 06:18 AM
Thanks for the link, but I couldn't tell what happened, so please clue me in. Obviously, someone was bleeping mad about it!

#5 spit on #37....:)

William
02-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Crit racing is a different animal, people in close bumping and jockeying for position...it can get hairy. Tempers can flare, but for the safety of all that kind of crap should wait until after the race if you've got a problem. Sure, everyone should be adults and refrain from BS like that, but just like being on the internet or driving in a car, some people will do or say crap that they would never say to you in person standing face to face.

I did a lot of crit races back in the day and the fields were generally pretty big. I had a few instances of someone saying or doing something in the race, and I would wait until after before I confronted them. I never saw the point in endangering everyone else to get back at someone in the race. In the race I get back at you by making sure I beat you to the line. Anything else happened after.

As an aside, I remember one of the Mt Tabor series races where one guy was causing some BS and pissing people off. At one point in the race, after you crest the top and are descending around the right hand turn into the straight before you hit the climb again, this guy was on the outside and turned to his right and started yelling at someone and not paying attention to his line. He gradually veered off line into the grass and then quickly disappeared out of sight down the steep grass hill. The whole peloton was quiet for a second processing what happened...and then burst into laughter that carried on until we hit the base of the climb. No need to talk to that dude after the race.:)

W.

bathsalts
02-20-2019, 08:28 AM
Crit racing is full of type-A jocks and hot heads. Exhibit A as to why it's dead in the US. What I've read about the Williams bros leads me to believe they're a positive influence so until there's evidence of Corey punching the spitter he gets the benefit of the doubt.

William
02-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Crit racing is full of type-A jocks and hot heads. Exhibit A as to why it's dead in the US...

I can only speak for myself, but when I was racing most of the time everyone was pretty cool and in control. I can't speak for the current state of crit racing since I've been out of it for a number of years now. I would agree that it takes a certain mindset/personality to be comfortable elbow to elbow jockeying for position in close quarters at speed.

W.

slambers3
02-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Crit racing is full of type-A jocks and hot heads. Exhibit A as to why it's dead in the US. What I've read about the Williams bros leads me to believe they're a positive influence so until there's evidence of Corey punching the spitter he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Crit racing is dead? News to me. What other type of racing is “alive” in the US? Gravel lmao

oldpotatoe
02-20-2019, 08:55 AM
Crit racing is dead? News to me. What other type of racing is “alive” in the US? Gravel lmao

How many of these are real 'races', sanctioned, with licenses and such and how many are types of 'races' like running events?

nooneline
02-20-2019, 09:15 AM
Crit racing is full of type-A jocks and hot heads. Exhibit A as to why it's dead in the US.

lol
what

William
02-20-2019, 09:38 AM
In retrospect, the folks who usually caused an issue were recent upgrades who thought they were the next up and coming MartyMigeLance NorthDurainStrongahStein.:rolleyes:

Live and learn.

W.

54ny77
02-20-2019, 10:08 AM
So true. "Back in the day" everyone would allow plenty of room in tight corners, share some finger sandwiches and crumpets on the first lap, and discuss world politics whilst in a double paceline.

Crit racing is full of type-A jocks and hot heads. Exhibit A as to why it's dead in the US.

William
02-20-2019, 10:15 AM
So true. "Back in the day" everyone would allow plenty of room in tight corners, share some finger sandwiches and crumpets on the first lap, and discuss world politics whilst in a double paceline.

...and don't forget the espresso or tea after every prime. :no: I wouldn't want anyone thinking we were uncivilized.

W.

echappist
02-20-2019, 10:42 AM

to be fair, so is road racing...

unterhausen
02-20-2019, 10:54 AM
I would like to see footage from the guy that came in second. That was closer than it had to be

redir
02-20-2019, 11:53 AM
My take on the dangers of crit racing - the free lap. Ditch the free lap. If you crash you are done, move aside and tell the ref you are out of the race. The free lap incentivizes risky behavior. Why not? You get a free lap.

m4rk540
02-20-2019, 12:29 PM
What I've read about the Williams bros leads me to believe they're a positive influence so until there's evidence of Corey punching the spitter he gets the benefit of the doubt.

And he's too smart to risk his livelihood.

54ny77
02-20-2019, 12:54 PM
I don't believe all this spitting nonsense. In fact, it appears to me that the gentleman rode up along side and asked his fellow racer if he happened to have some Grey Poupon.

...and don't forget the espresso or tea after every prime. :no: I wouldn't want anyone thinking we were uncivilized.

W.

William
02-20-2019, 03:58 PM
... it appears to me that the gentleman rode up along side and asked his fellow racer if he happened to have some Grey Poupon.

:)

r_mutt
02-20-2019, 10:19 PM

Yes, road racing is dying a slow death: https://www.tobedetermined.cc/journal/gravel-road-rasputitsa-state-sport-cycling-numbers-analysis

tctyres
02-21-2019, 10:39 AM
Yes, road racing is dying a slow death: https://www.tobedetermined.cc/journal/gravel-road-rasputitsa-state-sport-cycling-numbers-analysis

Those numbers are a bit misleading because they are indexed to Rasputitsa and they are dominated by the TBD club numbers. TBD is a team within the CRCA (a club of clubs) in the NYC area. TBD still dominantly races road, however.

earlfoss
02-21-2019, 11:23 AM
IMO the Williams brothers shouldn't complain too loudly about dangerous riding after some of the crap they've pulled in the recent past. All this positive influence stuff they're posting is a recent thing. Even Roy Knickman called them out the time they tried to crash out a few of his juniors. Reap what you sow!

r_mutt
02-21-2019, 11:50 AM
Those numbers are a bit misleading because they are indexed to Rasputitsa and they are dominated by the TBD club numbers. TBD is a team within the CRCA (a club of clubs) in the NYC area. TBD still dominantly races road, however.

Certainly not dominated by the TBD riders. It’s a study of all registered riders from Raputitsa and what kinds of events they participated in before and after doing Raputitsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93KgBike
02-21-2019, 12:52 PM
IMO ... Reap what you sow!

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fperennialreflection.files.wordpre ss.com%2F2011%2F05%2Fhaterade.png&f=1

Wasn't this thread about #5 spitting on his teammate?