PDA

View Full Version : Grouppos etc

plumbsew
11-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Thanks to all on the Concours bottom bracket replies. Having been off road bikes for some time my knowledge is decent at best. Any suggestions on component sets? I'll start with the age old Shimano vs Campy? What do those who have experience with both have to say on the comparison? Saddles? Fizik vs. Selle Italia? Clincher wheels? Tires? Any input will be greatly appreciated. I would classify my riding goals as recreational with an emphasis on fitness. Cost will be a factor. I'm looking for versatile parts that deliver a decent bang for the buck. Thanks.

stevep
11-24-2006, 11:29 AM
shimano stuff is great. campy stuff is terrible.
i am pretty sure all the forum members agree with this.
easy choice.

Climb01742
11-24-2006, 11:31 AM
easy choice.

+1

catulle
11-24-2006, 11:31 AM
We'll reach agreement on the correct answer to this question right after we decide exactly how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, atmo.

Louis
11-24-2006, 11:44 AM
Thanks to all on the Concours bottom bracket replies. Having been off road bikes for some time my knowledge is decent at best. Any suggestions on component sets? I'll start with the age old Shimano vs Campy? What do those who have experience with both have to say on the comparison? Saddles? Fizik vs. Selle Italia? Clincher wheels? Tires? Any input will be greatly appreciated. I would classify my riding goals as recreational with an emphasis on fitness. Cost will be a factor. I'm looking for versatile parts that deliver a decent bang for the buck. Thanks.

This is nearly as complicated as the "meaning of life" thread Climb started the other day...

plumbsew
11-24-2006, 11:51 AM
Nothing posted in reply will hold up in a court of law. Just looking for what everyone likes or doesn't like based on past or current experiences. Thanks.

trophyoftexas
11-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Shimano and Campy, both good stuff just different. I like them both for different reason. Building up old stuff, Campy! Building up new stuff, either. Now, how's THAT for driving down the middle of the road! I think Shimano feels a little smoother but I also like the solid, "click feeling" of Campy. I guess it boils down to if you want to use your fingers or your thumbs! Wheels, I'm a clincher-type guy only. Saddles, man, what ever fits your butt...way to many choices to consider. As in the Campy/Shimano answer, if I'm building old stuff, Brooks! If I'm building new then I'd try most anything that I've seen posters here advise I try.

bostondrunk
11-24-2006, 12:04 PM
+1

+725

Tailwinds
11-24-2006, 12:06 PM

bostondrunk
11-24-2006, 12:11 PM
tubulars rule
clinchers sucketh

pdxmech13
11-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Ultegra or Centaur (yesterday's chorus)
and some hot smoking wheels.

joes
11-24-2006, 12:35 PM
I've beer on Shimano for the last 6 or 7 years, prior to that road only off road, and just built a bike with Campy. As others have posted they're both great but they do feel quite different, one of the guys at the bike shop compaired it to driving cars with an auromatic or standard. Campy has a very solid feel that I like a lot, I think I'd use it from now on.

joes
11-24-2006, 12:37 PM
Beer was a typo but maybe I was thinking about things besides Shimano vs Campy

davids
11-24-2006, 12:39 PM
...here are my preferences. And that's all they are: my preferences.

I use Shimano. Campy shifter buttons are right where I want to hook my thumbs, so the ergonomics don't work well for me.

I like Ultegra 10. Ultegra seems like the price/performance sweet spot. Don't ask me to quantify this, though. As far as "10" vs. "9" - I like the new hoods more than the old ones.

Saddles are intensely personal. Fizik works for me, as does Selle San Marcos. Selle Italia doesn't, at all (I used a Flite for about a month. It hurt.) I have had success with SSM Regal and Rolls, and even more with the Fizik Arione.

I prefer clinchers. I'm too old to start effing around learning how to stretch and glue tubbies. That's just how I roll. My favorite clincher tires are Michelin ProRace 2s and Veloflex Black/Pave.

As far as wheels, I am a strong, strong proponent of getting a talented wheelbuilder to make 'em. I think this makes sense for the same reason as a custom-made frame: The wheels will be made for you - your size, weight, preferences, riding style and roads. And as a bonus, they will be less expensive, and better in every way, than the high-zoot factory wheels from Mavic or Campy! We've got several excellent builders as members here. Odds and Endos is another great builder. Or your local shop, perhaps?

...you didn't even mention handlebars! I've got a small stash of 3ttt Forgies, because they feel right to me. Lots of folks are still searching for their Holy Grail handlebars. I'm lucky.

Stem and seatpost should match, atmo. Unless they don't.

Pedals? I've been very happy with the Ultegra SPD-SLs. Easy clip in/out, solid platform, great reliability.

I've been listening to the experts here, and playing with various options for about 5 years. So, please take all of this for what it's worth - very little!

Good luck!

William
11-24-2006, 12:43 PM
I like the solid click shift of Shimano during my racing days. I still prefer it over the Campy I've tested. Plus, Campy is for people with petite, delicate, soft, easily damaged hands. Shimano is for MAN sized meat hooks. :D

William

SoCalSteve
11-24-2006, 12:58 PM
easy choice.

Post of the day!

Serotta PETE
11-24-2006, 02:54 PM
You definitely know how to toss a bee hive into the outhouse and watch the sh*t fly......................................... :butt: ;)

easy choice.

Bradford
11-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Shimano is for MAN sized meat hooks. :D
But these guys love Campy :D

Ahneida Ride
11-24-2006, 06:23 PM
. Shimano is for MAN sized meat hooks. :D
William

I ride Campy. I appreciate it's clock like precision. However, the hoods are atrocious. I am constantly twisting the rubber outa shape. :butt:

I had the distinct pleasure of demoing a Dura Ace equipped LARGE Ottrott
recently. I honesty can't say that one manufacturer is "superior" to the other.

In the end, it all boils down to Aesthetics and Ergonomics. Demo both
and decide. Compelling reasons exists to install either make.

Don't forget a Brooks Saddle !!!!!

PS. If the opportunity presents itself to demo an Ottrott. Go for it. WOW !

Sandy
11-24-2006, 06:27 PM
I like the solid click shift of Shimano during my racing days. I still prefer it over the Campy I've tested. Plus, Campy is for people with petite, delicate, soft, easily damaged hands. Shimano is for MAN sized meat hooks. :D

William

That is preciesly why it is called ShiMANo. :) :)

Shimano Sandy

PS- I think a critical issue in the Shimano versus Campy is how the ergonomics and shifting feels to YOU, noot to anyone else. As they say, both are excellent.

zank
11-24-2006, 09:24 PM
Go with whatever lever fits your hand better. That is what I tell people. Try the SRAM lever too. It's all the freakin' same after that.

sg8357
11-24-2006, 09:31 PM
easy choice.

Merde, Simplex, Huret & TA are the ne plus ultra.
Campy has sucked since the Paris-Roubaix system was discontinued.
Shimano sold out when they binned AX.

Scott G.

steelrider
11-25-2006, 07:14 PM
easy choice.

Forgive them Lord, they know not what they say. Or something to that effect!

catulle
11-25-2006, 07:46 PM
Merde, Simplex, Huret & TA are the ne plus ultra.
Campy has sucked since the Paris-Roubaix system was discontinued.
Shimano sold out when they binned AX.

Scott G.

Merde...? :eek: