PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Force Failure

Rover-Rich
11-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi guys, thought you might be interested in this.

I built up my Kirk last week and went out for my first ride yesterday. About 1/2mile into the ride I shifted into my big chain ring and back down. Just running the gears to make sure everything was ok. After the first downshift, tried to shift up again to the big chainring, but it wouldn't shift. I rode back home thinking a cable slipped, but no. I checked the cable and no problems.

I pulled back the hood and examined the shifter, turns out the internal mechanism of the shifter had cracked!!! There is a plastic cam through which the cable runs and this thing just failed. The shifter was new and basically shifted up and down less then a dozen times. Called SRAM today and they have never heard of this problem. Gotta send it in and get a replacement, bummer.

Anyway you guys and gals are always a good resouce and I wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this problem? Thanks.

Tailwinds
11-24-2006, 09:34 AM
What a bummer. :butt:

Did we miss something -- aren't you supposed to take pix of the new Kirk BEFORE you ride it? :rolleyes: Where are the pix?

Rover-Rich
11-24-2006, 10:05 AM
What a bummer. :butt:

Did we miss something -- aren't you supposed to take pix of the new Kirk BEFORE you ride it? :rolleyes: Where are the pix?

You're right, but the temptation was too great :rolleyes: Besides, I'm still waiting on some Fujitoshi grip tape to finish her off. Be patient grasshopper, pics to follow....

Jason E
11-24-2006, 12:43 PM
We know a guy that is in LOVE with his Pedalforce ti/carbon bike and can't understand why his front SRAM derailleur doesn't work.

I think it's cause he's in at over 250lbs and the bike is a noodle.

Other then that no problems yet. Goodluck, keep us up on the customer service feedback from them.

(He compared it to an Ottrott frame and someone almost had a heart attack.)

http://pedalforce.com/online/images/fusion.jpg

oldguy00
11-24-2006, 12:59 PM
well....it does look like an ottrott.. :rolleyes:

Rover-Rich
11-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Ok, follow up on the SRAM force:

Took Brifter to LBS, they made the call to SRAM and shipped it off to them. Got new shifter and cables back Tues, that is 2 business days from the time I dropped it off to the LBS! Can't beat that for service, THANKS SRAM.

I got the brifter installed tonight and will decide on grip tape tomorrow. Should be ready to ride just in time for our first snowstorm of the year :rolleyes: . Pictures to follow!

H.Frank Beshear
11-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Hey Rich you know where to send the high res pics right :D I hope we get a chance to ride blackjack next year. Frank

Rover-Rich
11-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey Rich you know where to send the high res pics right :D I hope we get a chance to ride blackjack next year. Frank

I'm there for sure!

KDay
04-13-2008, 09:37 AM
I experienced the same thing on my brand new Force shifters (chainring side)...10 shifts out of the box and without warning, no more shifting. I hope I can get the same service from Sram as you did. Did you get any feedback as to why this is happening? Bad run of parts perhaps?

Unpredictable
04-13-2008, 07:26 PM
I had the exact same thing happen on a Red shifter at our shop. The shifter had less than 200 miles on it.

rwsaunders
04-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Time to call Ralph. I have it on good word that he's backing off his campaign run.

Unpredictable
04-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Sram's customer service is excellent. They replaced the shifter promptly and sent a prepaid ship label for the broken shifter.

Rover-Rich
04-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Sorry guys, I never posted a follow up, my bad.

I found that SRAM's service was perfect. I called them up, they had me drop off the shifter at my LBS, who by the way were so awesome to deal with and eager to help, and with in a week I had a brand new shifter to pick up at the LBS. :banana: I have had no issues with it since (>1000 miles).

Cheers!