PDA

View Full Version : Beating a Very Dead Horse: Wheel Question

ThasFACE
11-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Switching to campy and need an all-around/every-day wheel that is bomb-proof and light and awesome and such. As far as pre-built clinchers go (considering customs, but focusing on pre-built for the moment), what would you guys recommend?

I weigh about 200, but I'm decently fit and won't get much lighter. I'm interested in the Eurus, but saw something on an old thread that suggested that the new Eurus isn't as durable as it was even a few years ago. Should I just get a set of Neutrons? Or Nimble Horseflys?

Apologies if this question (that has been asked a million times) annoys.

steelrider
11-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Hi, I also weigh 200 and stand around 6' 2". I love my Neutrons. The streets here in SF are terrible. I have yet to true my wheels. I think they look great as well.

djg
11-24-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure about the new Eurus wheels, but my one remaining set of clinchers are Eurus from 2003 or 2004 and they've been very dependable wheels. At the same time, it's hard to go wrong with neutrons (just bought a second set of older nucleon tubbies, because the price was right and I was so happy with the first set).

I'm also one of the very few people on the board who actually likes Ks--I sold mine (the older Ksyrium SSCs, the last year before the rim shaving) a while back, but I got good use out of them in all sorts of conditions--they were very stable and dependable wheels.

You might see what total cycling is clearing out from last year or so--sometimes they have pretty good prices.

Dan Le foot
11-24-2006, 10:09 AM
I was running the older Euros. (2004) They were bomb proof. And looked great with the large Campy logo. But a little heavy at 1650+ grams or so. And I just wanted to go a bit lighter for something different.
So I sold them ($300) and bought the Easton/Velomax Orions. 1485 grams.($650 from an online dealer)
The bonus I got on these hoops was a much more comfortable ride than the Euros or my Ks. I wasn't really expecting it.
Good luck.
Dan

ERDR
11-24-2006, 10:20 AM
the new eurus wheels are just as durable as the old ones. i have both and a pair of nucleons(older verion of neutrons). my feeling is the eurus wheels are more durable. my nucleons would need a little tweaking now and again, while my eurus wheels (both pair) were/are bullet proof. i am your size. go with the eurus.
s.

labratmatt
11-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Seems like it's hard to go wrong with a pre-built Campy hub to Aerohead/Mavic rim. Pleaces like Excel Sports or Performance generally have these for not too much money. Someone here will probably whine about them being machine built, but whatever.

Also, the new Campy Ventos cost next nothing and are great training/all around wheels. The new ones sell lost two or three hundred grams.