PDA

View Full Version : MTB Content- Ibis DV9

fourflys
02-15-2019, 07:20 PM
So I'm getting ready to push the button on a new MTB and I was wanting to see if anyone had any thoughts on the new Ibis DV9... it seems like a great price for a carbon-framed "trail" hardtail...
https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/dv9/

Any thoughts on this bike or something similar that I need to consider? I'm looking at the NX build for $2,100 FWIW.

Thanks,
Chris

colker
02-15-2019, 07:47 PM
I like Ibis. I have a steel mojo hardtail and love the handling.
I hear the DV9 is light, stiff and fast.
A mountain bike has to match the terrain you ride.
When i bought the mojo i emailed them and they were very helpfull w/ all my questions. They are real cyclists there. Jeff Kendall Weed worked at Ibis and is one of the best mtn bikers out there. There is a video of him riding the DV9, i believe. You could email him maybe or call. He is still attached to the brand and could go w/ you about the aspects of the bike.
Good luck. Ibis builds outstanding mtn bikes.
I would love to get a Ripmo

nmrt
02-15-2019, 07:59 PM
timely thread.
i just bought a hardtail as well. here were my contenders:

1) ibis dv9
2) santa cruz chameleon carbon
3) commencal meta am ht
4) sonder transmitter carbon

the sonder won out. i know no one has probably heard of them. but the specs look very good. and for the type of riding that i intend to do, the transmitter carbon was the best choice. at least, i hope. since the bike has yet to arrive from the UK.

i gave a very serious look at the dv9. the only reason i went with the sonder was because i have a moots hardtail and if i had bought the dv9, there would have been overlap between the dv9 (29er) and the moots (29er).

but go for the dv9 if it suits the trails you like. looking at the geo, it is one hell of a ride especially given the price (compared to the carbon chameleon) and it take 29 X 2.6 tires!!!

EDIT:
lastly, if you can swing it, with your nx build, get the fox float 32 upgrade for your fork. methinks, the fox 32 factory is one great fork.

fourflys
02-15-2019, 08:25 PM
Good info, I'll check out the Sonder...

Good call on Jeff Kendell-Weed... he is just across the water from me so terrain should be similar. I actually reached out to him to ask about size since I'm right on the cusp between med and large. Per Jeff and Ibis, they both recommend the large.

Keep the info coming! :)

colker
02-15-2019, 08:30 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/horapjjR46w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chris7ed
02-16-2019, 08:10 AM
I'd suggest that you consider a fox 34 or pike fork. May force you to go 120. Not sure 100 available in those forks

fourflys
02-16-2019, 09:55 AM
I'd suggest that you consider a fox 34 or pike fork. May force you to go 120. Not sure 100 available in those forks

the "trail build" comes with a Fox 34 120, that's one of the reasons I like this bike so much. :D

heartattackride
02-16-2019, 01:08 PM
Been looking at Sonders also. Great value and good reviews. I’m on a budget hunt and the savings over Ibis and SC frame prices helps out.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/sonder-transmitter-gx-eagle-revelation-review-51940/

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/sonder-transmitter

I thought I saw a blue Sonder on here but can’t find it.

old fat man
02-16-2019, 01:51 PM
Kona honzo carbon or santa Cruz chameleon carbon

fourflys
02-16-2019, 01:55 PM
I looked at both and rode an al Honzo, it rode nice... but I don't think the carbon version of either come close to the Ibis in price, do they?

nmrt
02-16-2019, 01:57 PM
last week i bought just the sonder transmitter carbon frame. it has yet to arrive. i am going to build it up with lightweight used parts that i have been scouring for the past few months. i plan to get it to 23 lbs. I dont know if that is going to be possible with 2.8 in tires.

But yeah, according to the reviews, change the ballast wheels and you will have a fun, fast ride and a great price point.

Been looking at Sonders also. Great value and good reviews. I’m on a budget hunt and the savings over Ibis and SC frame prices helps out.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/sonder-transmitter-gx-eagle-revelation-review-51940/

https://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/hardtail/sonder-transmitter

I thought I saw a blue Sonder on here but can’t find it.

Pelican
02-16-2019, 01:59 PM
The Ibis DV9 is a great value in carbon hardtails that do more than just XC. I was looking at one for my son, but ended up with a 27.5" mtb instead. Would still consider getting one for myself if I ever go up to a 29er.

nmrt
02-16-2019, 04:05 PM
The Sonder Signal Ti bike is also a great value! It can take 29 X 2.6 tires and for $2165 you get a NX1 build with a Rockshox Revelation fork.

https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/bikes/sonder-signal-ti-mountain-bike-nx1-revelation

FierteTi52
02-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Kona honzo carbon or santa Cruz chameleon carbon

I'm a Santa Cruz fanboy as I own a 5010 and love it. The Chameleon is on my short list as SC offers a lifetime warranty, adjustable drop outs and a high re-sale value. You can also swap out the drop outs to run single speed or to obtain proper geometry when going from 27.5+ to 29er wheels. I wouldn't spend the extra cash on a carbon version and feel the aluminum S build is a great value for the spec. In addition the Chameleon is known for it's super short chain stays and compliant rear end.

I looked a the Ibis DV9 and the geometry is old school, steeper HA, shallow ST, and short TT by today's fad.

The Sonders bikes do look really nice for the price but I would think the re-sale wouldn't be as good as a SC.

Take a look at the RSD Middle Child too if you are looking for a steel slack HT.

Have fun, there's never a perfect answer!

fourflys
02-17-2019, 05:54 PM
So I had a chance to ride the Santa Cruz today and, well, I bought it! I just couldn't get over the fact I couldn't find the Ibis to test ride... the only thing I really had to think about was size as I'm right on the line between the medium and large. Luckily, River City Bicycles in Portland had both sizes, and a test track to try it out on... River City is awesome and I ended up with the large.

Thanks all!

mtechnica
02-17-2019, 06:05 PM
Nice choice, my girlfriend has a chameleon and I'm jealous of it even though I have a full suspension. There does seem to be a lot of hype around the ibis though.

heartattackride
02-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Congrats! Good choice. Color?

commonguy001
02-17-2019, 06:44 PM
So I had a chance to ride the Santa Cruz today and, well, I bought it! I just couldn't get over the fact I couldn't find the Ibis to test ride... the only thing I really had to think about was size as I'm right on the line between the medium and large. Luckily, River City Bicycles in Portland had both sizes, and a test track to try it out on... River City is awesome and I ended up with the large.

Thanks all!

I was going to push you towards the Chameleon but after looking at the prices decided to keep my mouth shut. I love the new Santa Cruz stuff and my wife has a green Chameleon she’s been riding and loving for a year or so.

Congrats!

noonan1970
02-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Congrats! Good choice. Color?

Kit? XO?

fourflys
02-17-2019, 07:18 PM
I got the "R" build with the NX in the orange "sunset" color... with the sale River City is about to have in March (they gave me the sale price early), I got the Santa Cruz for about the same price as the Ibis... (I got the Al version)

Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow!

joev
02-17-2019, 07:41 PM
I have the SC Chameleon in Skye Blue with the R+ build and love it! I bought with the intent of running it single speed but am having too much fun with the 12 gears. I have a Trek Top 9.8 SL from a couple of years ago and it is fast, full squish, and solid but the geometry of the SC seems dialed for me. I like the Fox 34 fork and set it and forget it.

The SC gives you some options fitting both the 29 and 27+ and single speed with those adjustable dropouts instead of an eccentric. I also like the external cable routing...personal preference...and it is quiet.

Hope you enjoy the ride! :banana:

FierteTi52
02-17-2019, 10:43 PM
I got the "R" build with the NX in the orange "sunset" color... with the sale River City is about to have in March (they gave me the sale price early), I got the Santa Cruz for about the same price as the Ibis... (I got the Al version)

Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow!

Nice choice on the R build and color. The Fox Rythm is an OEM only fork that has received rave reviews. My 5010 is a R build with the same fork and I’m impressed with it. Enjoy the bike and post a ride report after you have a miles on the bike.

Dirtdiggler
02-18-2019, 05:01 AM
great choice.. SC has the best warranty out there and the Chameleon model has been out for a while.

fourflys
02-18-2019, 09:07 PM
Got it home from Portland today, we had a ton of snow this last week so the trails are a bit soupy from what I understand... will hopefully get out soon! BTW- that's the carbon frame that you see the back of... just couldn't justify the extra $1,400ish extra.

Thanks for the advice all!

https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports/Cycling/i-dnqd4BB/0/ed4290f3/O/Santa%20Cruz.jpg

velofinds
02-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Cool! I want one. Those are 29" wheels on your build?

fourflys
02-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Cool! I want one. Those are 29" wheels on your build?

yep, decided to go with the 29er...