PDA

View Full Version : High end Chicago bike stores?

jonjones13
02-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Off to the Windy City for a few days from tomorrow - just wondering if there were any good bike stores worth checking out (primarily to drop over high end kit) in downtown Chicago (we’re staying in the Loop)?
Thanks
Jon

Heisenberg
02-15-2019, 04:29 PM
Velosmith!

Andy sti
02-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Agree with Velosmith. Tony's shop is great. I used to work at his dad's shop and rode for the Alberto's team for many years. Velosmith is a trek from the Loop though.

Honestly, Chicago doesn't have, and never really has had, fancy high end bike shops. Not as a destination shop at least.

likebikes
02-15-2019, 05:53 PM
get a grip?

are they still around? near downtown as well..

charliedid
02-15-2019, 06:11 PM
Agree with Velosmith. Tony's shop is great. I used to work at his dad's shop and rode for the Alberto's team for many years. Velosmith is a trek from the Loop though.

Honestly, Chicago doesn't have, and never really has had, fancy high end bike shops. Not as a destination shop at least.

get a grip?

are they still around? near downtown as well..

Areed on these. Chicago has never been a fancy bike town like others are. Get a Grip is the closest to downtown by a longshot. http://www.getagripcycles.com/

Velosmith is the shop you are looking for. It would be an hour drive to get to it.

If you want high quality on all fronts it's as good as any shop that exists. https://www.velosmith.com/

Irishgirl
02-15-2019, 07:39 PM
I second (or maybe 4th or 5th at this point) Velosmith.

Good thing you didn’t plan your visit when we had our “feels like” -50 degree temps!

Enjoy the city!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soupless
02-15-2019, 09:43 PM
If you’re after clothes there’s a Rapha there too, I think.

saab2000
02-16-2019, 03:40 AM
Sammy's Bikes in St. Charles blew me away the other day. Many Colnagos and other premium brands. Performance-oriented independent shop, but it's an hour+ west of downtown.

charliedid
02-16-2019, 05:08 AM
If you’re after clothes there’s a Rapha there too, I think.

Yes, Rapha is in Wicker Park.

I'd also add that Cycle Smithy and TURIN have the longest history and if you like Vintage the collection at Smithy is amazing. TURIN has been around since 1965 and certainly has some fancy bikes as well as some racing history etc. Both much more typical to what is considered a good bike shop in Chicago. Just not really boutique shops in the modern sense. If you like LAKE shoes TURIN is your spot.

https://www.turinbicycle.com/

https://www.cyclesmithy.com/

Both easy to get to from downtown via car or train.

Enjoy the city and remember we have some amazing museums, restaurants and architecture!

Uncle Cranky
02-16-2019, 05:23 AM
Does Tenspeed Hero have a retail spot? I think they're Chicago based.

charliedid
02-16-2019, 05:36 AM
Does Tenspeed Hero have a retail spot? I think they're Chicago based.

nope

Uncle Cranky
02-16-2019, 06:02 AM
Last time I was in Chicago my wife and I walked over to Old Town from the loop and stumbled upon Village Cycle Center. Not high end but we picked up some "chicago" souviner bike stuff. Jersey/hat/whatever. There was also a cool Dutch cargobike type place over there?

charliedid
02-16-2019, 06:18 AM
Last time I was in Chicago my wife and I walked over to Old Town from the loop and stumbled upon Village Cycle Center. Not high end but we picked up some "chicago" souviner bike stuff. Jersey/hat/whatever. There was also a cool Dutch cargobike type place over there?

Yes Village Cycle on Wells is 6 stories of bikes and is a huge Trek dealer. One of the biggest. They are the go-to low cost bike shop. Pretty amazing for what it is. At one time they were purchasing most if not all the previous years inventory form Trek and warehousing it. You walk in (no test rides) get fitted for a bike and walk out within an hour with a newly assembled bike and a free lock and helmet. Can't argue with the success of the place.

J.C. Lind is the Cargo/Dutch shop a few doors away. Worth a look for sure. Also a Brompton dealer if that floats yer boat.

Adam
02-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Hi,

Adam from Get a Grip here. We certainly serve a high end niche here at the shop through a service first paradigm. Half the shop is dedicated to Cycling Analysis and the other for maintenance and bike builds. The space is small but cool, brick walls, vintage wooden beams. As we are a fit first place, bikes on display are primarily projects we are working on for clients. We currently have Parlee, Moots, Seven, and Orbea bikes on the floor that are worth checking out. Happy to chat and introduce you to Chicago proper bikes and riding!

Adam
02-16-2019, 08:41 AM
nope

I believe TSH is in the process of opening up a small store front

charliedid
02-16-2019, 08:42 AM
I believe TSH is in the process of opening up a small store front

oooh nice....any idea where?

Thanks Adam

Gsinill
02-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Depends on where you draw the line on "Chicago".
If you include the burbs, there was Joie de Velo in Lake Bluff.
They were catering to the affluent Northshore crowd but shut down several years ago.

gavingould
02-16-2019, 10:00 AM
oooh nice....any idea where?

Thanks Adam

they got a space around CX nats but Luke hasn't been publicizing it yet. grand opening maybe this month?
if i'm not mistaken it's around Grand/Western? might be further west.

Adam
02-16-2019, 11:22 AM
Yeah, it is west for sure. When they are ready to go live we will know.

charliedid
02-16-2019, 01:15 PM
they got a space around CX nats but Luke hasn't been publicizing it yet. grand opening maybe this month?
if i'm not mistaken it's around Grand/Western? might be further west.

Yeah, it is west for sure. When they are ready to go live we will know.

Nice

jonjones13
02-17-2019, 05:13 AM
Just arrived (with jet-lag!), certainly plenty of options. Will have a wander around downtown today and see where we end up.

Love this community - thanks guys.

BobC
02-17-2019, 06:35 AM
Is Turin Bikes still around? that is where I got my first race bike.

And what about RRB?

charliedid
02-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Just arrived (with jet-lag!), certainly plenty of options. Will have a wander around downtown today and see where we end up.

Love this community - thanks guys.

Have fun!

Careful though if you are looking at going to shops, many will be closed. I'm pretty sure Get a Grip and Velosmith are.

Enjoy the snow.

Adam
02-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Get a Grip is open Tues thru Sat.

Plum Hill
02-17-2019, 12:42 PM
Colnago America is on West Adams. Not sure if you can just walk in, or what they might have on display.

gavingould
02-17-2019, 04:01 PM
Colnago America is on West Adams. Not sure if you can just walk in, or what they might have on display.

know a couple guys who work there, it's an office that sometimes/often has bikes inside, but not a showroom/not open to public.