PDA

View Full Version : Eeny meenie miney mo groupset choices

Tickdoc
02-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Any thoughts on comparing campy record 10 with new Potenza or Athena 11?

It’s time for me to plan my next build and I’ve got it narrowed down to those three groups and just can’t decide. Gotta be silver and gotta be campy.

Thanks in advance.

AngryScientist
02-14-2019, 12:58 PM
silver record-10? good luck with that.

for a bike i actually ride, i pick 11 speed over 10 any day of the week. it's all about gearing choices. with campy record 10, in silver regalia, you're stuck riding standard rings (unless you go for a triple i guess) and limited to using actual campy splined cassettes that go to 30T max.

with 11 speed, the world is your oyster. compact cranksets and shimano splined wheels, which opens up the potential for lots of different cassette gearing options.

bigbill
02-14-2019, 01:09 PM
Centaur looks intriguing. Velomine has a group minus cassette for $600. I've got 2012 Athena 11 with a UT crankset that works great (for escape). At least they've done away with the PT nonsense on the 11 speed groups.

93KgBike
02-14-2019, 01:36 PM
I picked up a silver Athena 11 group from a PL'r and really, really like the way it looks.

I prefer the shift-feel of my old Record 10 Pro, but I wouldn't compare them on that basis.

I don't think I'd tour on the Record 10.

The Athena has a beautiful conservative action of its own, plus it feels durable. I like the small idiosyncrasies of its feel and function and, of course, being able to repair it.

Generally, I prefer Campy despite some things that Shimano and SRAM might do better, or at least as well. (Except for my recent obsession with Dura Ace 7400)

I've seen Veloce, Centaur, Chorus and Athena in silver levers but never Record. Would be cool to, though.

Tickdoc
02-14-2019, 01:43 PM
silver record-10? good luck with that.

for a bike i actually ride, i pick 11 speed over 10 any day of the week. it's all about gearing choices. with campy record 10, in silver regalia, you're stuck riding standard rings (unless you go for a triple i guess) and limited to using actual campy splined cassettes that go to 30T max.

with 11 speed, the world is your oyster. compact cranksets and shimano splined wheels, which opens up the potential for lots of different cassette gearing options.

*Silver crank:)

Sounds like 11may get the nod here.

cgolvin
02-14-2019, 01:57 PM
I've been weighing a similar tradeoff, but it's about whether or not to swap my existing (compact) Chorus 10 for silver Potenza 11.

I agree with all of Angry's points, and would add the benefit of being able to switch chainrings (ok, expensive). I'm considering buying mid-compact and using Shim/SRAM cassette. My belief is that the RD would accommodate a 34 cog, perhaps with a bit of B-screw fiddling — has anyone done that? Mid-compact paired with 11-34 seems like the perfect balance for ascending and descending.

AngryScientist
02-14-2019, 02:04 PM
I'm been weighing a similar tradeoff, but it's about whether or not to swap my existing (compact) Chorus 10 for silver Potenza 11.

I agree with all of Angry's points, and would add the benefit of being able to switch chainrings (ok, expensive). I'm considering buying mid-compact and using Shim/SRAM cassette. My belief is that the RD would accommodate a 34 cog, perhaps with a bit of B-screw fiddling — has anyone done that? Mid-compact paired with 11-34 seems like the perfect balance for ascending and descending.

for where you live - great idea. i never liked the concept of a mid-compact, until i rented one last time i was in LA. mid compact out there is the jam.

this is my "going up" ring

this is my "going down" ring.

MoparPorsche
02-14-2019, 02:06 PM
I agree with 93k, I prefer the shift-feel of Record 10 Pro and have a pristine set waiting for my next build. Its all about what are you planning to do with the bike, I myself prefer the 53/39 10 speed setup when riding alone and training and the Campy Record shift is buttery.

Lewis Moon
02-14-2019, 02:24 PM
I'd pick 11 over 10 any day too. I absolutely love the Chorus 11 I have on my 'cross bike. Shifting is ultra crisp and I like the workman like demeanor of the steel fittings.
Because it's a cross bike, I run a 46 big ring and, frankly don't miss the uber high gears unless I'm topping out at 40+.

Dave
02-14-2019, 03:25 PM
I'd say Potenza 11, since the others are no longer in production.

oldpotatoe
02-15-2019, 08:26 AM
Any thoughts on comparing campy record 10 with new Potenza or Athena 11?

It’s time for me to plan my next build and I’ve got it narrowed down to those three groups and just can’t decide. Gotta be silver and gotta be campy.

Thanks in advance.

Centaur should be looked at..Less $ Potenza in essence.

bitpuddle
02-15-2019, 08:34 AM
Centaur should be looked at..Less $ Potenza in essence.

The silver Centaur and Potenza look really nice on the right bike.

ultraman6970
02-15-2019, 08:49 AM
If you dont need the hyper fast dump of record 10... potenza is a good choice. I have it in one bike and works ok IMO, have a new ride and I was thinking in getting another potenza group silver because i really cant pay for the new groups like chorus for example.

peanutgallery
02-15-2019, 08:49 AM
Get potenza and ship it to this guy

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/technspec/enigma-bikes-echelon-review-nahbs-best-campagnolo-winner/

ultraman6970
02-15-2019, 08:55 AM
Forgot this... potenza brakes with the potenza lever IMO work better than the record 10 ones, but it could be a problem with the rubber because my record 10s have the original rubber pads... gonna have to swith brake calipers to find out but at least the potenza I can lock rear wheel w/o much of a problem.