PDA

View Full Version : 3T superghiaia

R3awak3n
02-13-2019, 12:08 PM
https://img.cyclingexpress.com/_img/pro_info/23897829_102306_y4o_zoom.png

Anyone have tried this 3T bar, the 3t superghiaiaiaiaiaiiiiiii

I have to give it to 3T, these are pretty innovative and kinda cool (although a bit ugly). They stay straight up top so they are like road bars and then they flare out into gravel bars.

Right now I got salsas with 12 degree flare, I like them but do wish for no flare up top. However, specially descending I love the flare on the bars so I understand why people like flared bars. I had 16 degree flared bars a while ago and just could not do it, hated the way my hands felt on the turned to the side hoods.

I really want a pair of these new 3Ts, the price is insane though. I messaged them about an alloy version and they told me "if you can find someone who will make them, let us know and we will have them make alloy versions". Apparently not easy to get that bed with alloy.

Babrassiler
02-13-2019, 01:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIbkUdWfKJI

R3awak3n
02-13-2019, 04:40 PM

Yes, I have watched that. Pretty cool. Well in a moment of weakness, and thanks to backcountry who gave me a crazy good deal on these bars and I could not pass.

Ended up going with the 44 ones which are ridiculous but if I am going to buy these I can't go with the non ridiculous option.

The thing that sucks is I wont be doing the internal routing because there is no way I am redoing all the cabling on my OPEN, that was the biggest PITA.

hobbanero
02-13-2019, 09:51 PM
I wish they made the 40cm bend in a 42 or 44.

Clean39T
02-13-2019, 11:15 PM
Yes, I have watched that. Pretty cool. Well in a moment of weakness, and thanks to backcountry who gave me a crazy good deal on these bars and I could not pass.

Ended up going with the 44 ones which are ridiculous but if I am going to buy these I can't go with the non ridiculous option.

The thing that sucks is I wont be doing the internal routing because there is no way I am redoing all the cabling on my OPEN, that was the biggest PITA.

Tell us moar about that backcountry deal... :help: :D

R3awak3n
02-14-2019, 06:45 AM
I wish they made the 40cm bend in a 42 or 44.

so do I... What I would ideally liked would have been a 42 (that is what I normally use and don't mind going to a 44 but do not want to go to a 40) with a bend btw the 40 and the 44. Not sure why the 44 bend is so ridiculous and I may hate it. I know I hate how it looks but I think when I will get in the drops it will be amazing so I am going to give it a try. I figured, if I was going to try them I wanted to get something super different than from my salsa cowbell, the 40s are almost like the cowbells but the hoods stay perfectly straight instead of a tiny bend (the cowbell bend is not terrible actually, I don't hate it)

Tell us moar about that backcountry deal... :help: :D

ahha, I really just did what my grandfather used to do back in the day. Messaged them and was super nice and chatted them up. I have always had good experiences and backcountry and they pulled my account and saw that I have been a decent customer over the years (I don't buy a lot there but have bought stuff over the years). He asked if to send him a picture of the OPEN with the crazy bars and he would give me the deal (%30 off)

Clean39T
02-14-2019, 09:45 AM
so do I... What I would ideally liked would have been a 42 (that is what I normally use and don't mind going to a 44 but do not want to go to a 40) with a bend btw the 40 and the 44. Not sure why the 44 bend is so ridiculous and I may hate it. I know I hate how it looks but I think when I will get in the drops it will be amazing so I am going to give it a try. I figured, if I was going to try them I wanted to get something super different than from my salsa cowbell, the 40s are almost like the cowbells but the hoods stay perfectly straight instead of a tiny bend (the cowbell bend is not terrible actually, I don't hate it)

ahha, I really just did what my grandfather used to do back in the day. Messaged them and was super nice and chatted them up. I have always had good experiences and backcountry and they pulled my account and saw that I have been a decent customer over the years (I don't buy a lot there but have bought stuff over the years). He asked if to send him a picture of the OPEN with the crazy bars and he would give me the deal (%30 off)I like that - Backcountry are good peeps [emoji481]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

hobbanero
02-14-2019, 12:12 PM
I like Backcountry's approach...except now there is probably no deal for a pic of the bars on my Open ;)

93KgBike
02-14-2019, 12:55 PM
+1

I've bought all kinds of gear from them over the years. They tend to have good prices on technical clothing and carry a lot of the big sewers.

sparky33
02-14-2019, 02:37 PM
the nice-guy-discount

amazing how often it works.

Those Supergirjdnbdhdije$ bars look swell. I dig the aggressive flare coupled with a flattened wide top, in carbon goodness.

ahha, I really just did what my grandfather used to do back in the day. Messaged them and was super nice and chatted them up. I have always had good experiences and backcountry and they pulled my account and saw that I have been a decent customer over the years (I don't buy a lot there but have bought stuff over the years). He asked if to send him a picture of the OPEN with the crazy bars and he would give me the deal (%30 off)

sparky33
02-14-2019, 02:42 PM

Rides of Japan is a terrific YouTube channel.
The perfect combination of fetish and mechanical education.
Peace!

wooly
02-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Has anyone considered the enve gravel bar? Or compared it to this crazy name bar? I have the Cowbell now and want something with a flatter top. Don't mind the crazy flare either.

R3awak3n
02-14-2019, 05:27 PM
I like Backcountry's approach...except now there is probably no deal for a pic of the bars on my Open ;)

:banana:

+1

I've bought all kinds of gear from them over the years. They tend to have good prices on technical clothing and carry a lot of the big sewers.

They have great CS, always very helpful. Last time they did not have something and called me and offered me a discount for not having it. They have been A+ in my book

the nice-guy-discount

amazing how often it works.

Those Supergirjdnbdhdije$ bars look swell. I dig the aggressive flare coupled with a flattened wide top, in carbon goodness.

Yeah, I think it is going to make for a SUPER comfy and awesome bar. Also 200g for the 44 is lighter than anything out there, the 40 is an impressive 180g.

Rides of Japan is a terrific YouTube channel.
The perfect combination of fetish and mechanical education.
Peace!

He is a good dude, I like his channel too. I also appreciate that the quality of his videos is top notch, good editing, good presentation.

Has anyone considered the enve gravel bar? Or compared it to this crazy name bar? I have the Cowbell now and want something with a flatter top. Don't mind the crazy flare either.

I looked at them yesterday actually. They seem very similar to the cowbells and what attracted me to the supergaiaaaiiaaaas is that the levers stay straight on the hoods just like a road bike and the enves also turn the shifters a bit

livesadventure
02-14-2019, 05:29 PM
I like the idea of these, I would only want flare while in the drops, and don't like my hoods flared. Looking forward to your report!

owly
02-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Satori (Taiwan) has recently come out with an alu bar a bit like these, but only 8 degree flare. Some different shaping also.

http://www.satoribike.com/pro.php?m=d&pid=154&cid=6&f=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEhDBebNW8

Good luck finding them for sale at the moment though :help:

Hilltopperny
02-14-2019, 06:03 PM
I really like this design. Flat tops with flared drops seems like a winning combo for a gravel rig. My only gripe with my Easton ec70 ax bars is that the tops are round.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
02-14-2019, 06:11 PM
I like the idea of these, I would only want flare while in the drops, and don't like my hoods flared. Looking forward to your report!

I will definitely do a report after I ride them a bit

I really like this design. Flat tops with flared drops seems like a winning combo for a gravel rig. My only gripe with my Easton ec70 ax bars is that the tops are round.

another reason I bought em, LOVE flat tops.

R3awak3n
02-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Satori (Taiwan) has recently come out with an alu bar a bit like these, but only 8 degree flare. Some different shaping also.

http://www.satoribike.com/pro.php?m=d&pid=154&cid=6&f=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFEhDBebNW8

Good luck finding them for sale at the moment though :help:

that is interesting, a bit different... I am surprised they can get that shaping with alu tbh.

Hilltopperny
02-14-2019, 06:13 PM
I will definitely do a report after I ride them a bit

another reason I bought em, LOVE flat tops.I almost grabbed the ergonovas you had for sale. I waited it out a bit too long. I run them on my drifter and find them to be ultra comfy.

SlowPokePete
02-15-2019, 06:13 AM
A bit intrigued by this bar.

I've always been curious about flared gravel bars, but as many said I don't like the position it puts the hoods in, which is generally where I am most comfortable, especially this time of year when I am layered up for the cold. I've never actually tried them though.

I picked up a set of Ritchey bars in silver for my Waterford, and had planned to use the FSA carbon bars from that bike on my Lynskey. That carbon bar id ten plus years old, though, and the Lynskey sees a lot of use, so I'm holding off on the swap.

Can't wait to hear...also kind of bummed that they don't have this in a "middle ground" 42 option.

Would love to see one in real life on a bike, especially to get an idea of the difference between the two sizes.

SPP

R3awak3n
02-15-2019, 06:40 AM
I almost grabbed the ergonovas you had for sale. I waited it out a bit too long. I run them on my drifter and find them to be ultra comfy.

well those are still not sold with a bazillion people in line for them lol, they were around for a minute no one wanted them so I put them on ebay, someone bought them and has not paid in 5 days. Opened disput and have to wait. I hate ebay sometimes. I never tried those bars but just in my hand I can tell I would like them, the tops on that is exactly what I like (which I assume will be very similar to the supergaigaaiaiaa)

A bit intrigued by this bar.

I've always been curious about flared gravel bars, but as many said I don't like the position it puts the hoods in, which is generally where I am most comfortable, especially this time of year when I am layered up for the cold. I've never actually tried them though.

I picked up a set of Ritchey bars in silver for my Waterford, and had planned to use the FSA carbon bars from that bike on my Lynskey. That carbon bar id ten plus years old, though, and the Lynskey sees a lot of use, so I'm holding off on the swap.

Can't wait to hear...also kind of bummed that they don't have this in a "middle ground" 42 option.

Would love to see one in real life on a bike, especially to get an idea of the difference between the two sizes.

SPP

I am with you Peter. I am surprised they did not do a 42, as it seems it is the most popular bar size. I feel like they did not want to do 3 bars (as to test if these will actually sell, seems like they are selling as a lot of people don't have them in stock). I would not be surprised if they will eventually do a 42 with the flare in the middle of the 40s and the 44s.

These should be here today, I will probably install them this weekend and give them a try next week.

If you want to try a good flared bar, I think the salsa cowbell is a good choice. 12 degree of flare is minimal so hoods will stay pretty straight but the drops feel super good (I miss that everytime I go to my road bikes with non flare drops). I will have a salsa cowbell deluxe for sale if you want to try em

SlowPokePete
02-21-2019, 08:40 AM
Any updates on the 3T bar?

Also, just saw that Lauf has something new that looks pretty good...more sizes, a little less pricey...

SPP

R3awak3n
02-21-2019, 09:40 AM
Any updates on the 3T bar?

Also, just saw that Lauf has something new that looks pretty good...more sizes, a little less pricey...

SPP

Its on the bike, actually does not look bad at all but have not ridden them yet. Just trying them out they feel amazing. Love the flat tops, love the fare on the drops but indeed the shifters stay perfectly straight.

As you know we just got fkn snow again yesterday and today is suppose to be freezing rain so I am waiting for a nice day to take that bike out... maybe this weekend. I will update, I promise.

wooly
02-21-2019, 10:51 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. Motivated me to order them to replace my cowbells. Should be here soon!

R3awak3n
02-21-2019, 06:41 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. Motivated me to order them to replace my cowbells. Should be here soon!
did you go for the 40 or the 44s?

Also, today was gorgeous, 50 degree February day, just after a cold snowy day yesterday. I just could not stay home so I got out for a few miles. Took the OPEN out in full gravel mode and got to try the bars.

I need more time with them but so far, I love them. I missed having flat tops, so comfortable, specially climbing on the flats. Nice that the hoods are straight, I did not mind a bit of flare but definitely prefer no flare what so ever.

The best part of course is the drops, so comfortable and so much control. I have to take these on more technical descends and gravel but just messing around on road descends and I even jumped on some snow and went on road shoulders that were sandy gravel and felt great... I really can see how the wideness of the drops can give you more control and confidence.

I definetely want to put more time of course but so far I am happy. Do wish they were 42cm up top though, that is all I use and I did feel a bit of a different when on the hoods... I think something I will have to get used to, by no means bad, just different.

wooly
02-21-2019, 10:51 PM
did you go for the 40 or the 44s?

Also, today was gorgeous, 50 degree February day, just after a cold snowy day yesterday. I just could not stay home so I got out for a few miles. Took the OPEN out in full gravel mode and got to try the bars.

I need more time with them but so far, I love them. I missed having flat tops, so comfortable, specially climbing on the flats. Nice that the hoods are straight, I did not mind a bit of flare but definitely prefer no flare what so ever.

The best part of course is the drops, so comfortable and so much control. I have to take these on more technical descends and gravel but just messing around on road descends and I even jumped on some snow and went on road shoulders that were sandy gravel and felt great... I really can see how the wideness of the drops can give you more control and confidence.

I definetely want to put more time of course but so far I am happy. Do wish they were 42cm up top though, that is all I use and I did feel a bit of a different when on the hoods... I think something I will have to get used to, by no means bad, just different.

I went with 44’s with the more exaggerated drop sweep. As you know the Cowbells are not very drastic but i have 44’s in those as well. I’ll report back on how the drops feel when they arrive and I get some time on them.

mt2u77
02-21-2019, 11:18 PM
How is braking from the drops? Looks like it would be a little weird with the lever out of plane with the drop. It looks like the tip of the lever would sit inboard of the drop, requiring one to reach inward to grasp the lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
02-22-2019, 05:54 AM
How is braking from the drops? Looks like it would be a little weird with the lever out of plane with the drop. It looks like the tip of the lever would sit inboard of the drop, requiring one to reach inward to grasp the lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braking from the drops feels great imo

wooly
03-07-2019, 11:03 AM
I got a call from my shop saying the bars are held up at the port. He asked if I wanted to go with the Enve gravel bars instead. Any one have experience with these? R3, did you give these a serious look? After reading the info below it looks like Enve did something similar with the bend of the drops to keep the hoods from angling out too much.

https://www.enve.com/en/journal/behind-the-product-g-series-gravel-handlebar/

R3awak3n
03-07-2019, 01:04 PM
I got a call from my shop saying the bars are held up at the port. He asked if I wanted to go with the Enve gravel bars instead. Any one have experience with these? R3, did you give these a serious look? After reading the info below it looks like Enve did something similar with the bend of the drops to keep the hoods from angling out too much.

https://www.enve.com/en/journal/behind-the-product-g-series-gravel-handlebar/

I did look at them but the shifter still gets angled so although is better than say, a salsa or a easton, you still get the angled hood... at least is what it looks like it does on the first row of pics.. on the second it looks straight so I am not sure.

I love the 3T though, that I know :)

Gphin
03-07-2019, 04:06 PM
My buddy just built up his Open with the same bars, sat on the bike and the bars are light as hell perhaps too light for big boy gravel riders. SPP you'll probably see Scot R. with the blue Open on the trail soon.

SlowPokePete
03-07-2019, 04:10 PM
My buddy just built up his Open with the same bars, sat on the bike and the bars are light as hell perhaps too light for big boy gravel riders. SPP you'll probably see Scot R. with the blue Open on the trail soon.

That is what i really need ... to see them installed on a bike an put my hands on them.

SPP