PDA

View Full Version : OT: Renewing (or not) computer support contracts

smontanaro
02-11-2019, 10:35 AM
I have a Dell laptop which I purchased a couple years ago. At the time, I purchased a support contract which proved useful, as I had a couple issues during that year. I renewed for a second year, but haven't used it.

As I approached and passed the two-year mark, I (of course) began getting all sorts of email from Dell alerting me to the impending (and now passed) expiration of the service contract. My experience with computers (I think I bought a Mac SE in 1982) suggests that they sometimes have early life failures, but once settled in, tend to be pretty much trouble-free. This is especially true now that SSDs are taking over more and more for rotational disks. About the only mechanical bits on the computer which get much exercise are the keyboard and fan. I think I can handle keeping them clean or paying to have them replaced if necessary. Long story short, I am disinclined to pay for another year of support. If something catastrophic happens to the electronics, I have backups. I'm willing to bite the bullet and just replace the computer.

How do others approach the issue of computer support contracts over the course of multiple years?

MattTuck
02-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Depends where you are and how critical the machine is to your life. If it is a work machine with no available back up, having next day support could be worthwhile.

If it is a personal machine, and you have everything backed up, I'd consider it fully depreciated over 2 (maybe 3, if it was a top of the line system) years, so I wouldn't spend anything else on it.

smontanaro
02-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Depends where you are and how critical the machine is to your life. If it is a work machine with no available back up, having next day support could be worthwhile.

If it is a personal machine, and you have everything backed up, I'd consider it fully depreciated over 2 (maybe 3, if it was a top of the line system) years, so I wouldn't spend anything else on it.Thanks. Sounds like I'm thinking about the problem the right way. It's a Precision 5520, which I bought in preference to the (I think) equivalent XPS-15, not because it was for work but because I could order it with Linux installed. That it was no more expensive at the time and came with a commercial support contact were bonuses. Still, it's really a personal machine and only sees any work duty on the rare occasions when I work from home.

Llewellyn
02-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Well FWIW I found that my Dell support contract was worth jacks**t when I needed it. That aside I think the reason companies offer extended support contracts is because they know they will make more money from people buying them but not using them than it will cost to provide the service.

Most extended warranties/service contracts are a waste of money IMO and do more to provide a purchaser with some sort of peace of mind.

Ralph
02-11-2019, 03:58 PM
My daughter has one (Dell). I believe hers is soft ware support only.....no hardware or parts. She calls them time to time with a soft ware problem or question. And they do provide good service.
They call her quarterly to ask if everything is OK. And go over her computer...updating drivers, software, apps, and such. Cleaning it out.

I also have a Dell laptop, but without any service contract. Can usually figure out any issue. But daughter is a big shopper....and sometimes gets "infected". Especially, it seems, from coupon shopping sites. They (Dell support) fix her right up. So to her....it's worth it.

Bob Ross
02-11-2019, 07:11 PM
My daughter has one (Dell). I believe hers is soft ware support only.....no hardware or parts. She calls them time to time with a soft ware problem or question. And they do provide good service.
They call her quarterly to ask if everything is OK. And go over her computer...updating drivers, software, apps, and such. Cleaning it out.

Holy crap, how come I've never been able to find ^^^that kind of support when I buy a computer?!?!

I don't want hardware support, because as OP suggested, most early-life failures are within the warranty period, and the out-of-warranty catastrophes are exactly that: Catastrophes. And hence, comparatively rare.

But those "oh****bluescreenofdeath!" episodes happen way too often, and for many years after purchase; I want the support for those snafus.

Guess I oughtta check out Dell.