PDA

View Full Version : Gluing a Veloflex...

catulle
11-23-2006, 07:11 AM
Yesterday, I finally glued a pair of new Veloflex (Servizio Corse) tubulars to the wheels Mr. Ergott built for me (Reflex + Tune). Also, for the first time I used the Mastik glue.

Conclusions: After using Conti tubulars, switching to Veloflex is a dream come through. At least in terms of assembly. The Veloflex tubulars had been stretching on old rims for over six months, and they went over the Reflex rims almost willingly. Wonderful experience.

I placed two layers of glue on the rims and tubulars. I let the first application dry for two days and then applied the second layer which I let dry for another two days. After installing the tubulars and when truing the tires to the rims I've been left with the impression that another layer may be necessary. The Mastik doesn't seem to bond as strongly as the Continental glue I'm used to. I've let the wheels rest overnight with 40lbs of air pressure on the tubulars to see what the results might be today. I'm concerned, though, that with the tubulars going on the rims so easily and the glue not bonding so well I might be setting myself up for some road rash.

Finally, the overall result of the combination of Reflex and Veloflex is that I see a bit too much rim on the sides of the tubulars. That is, I think the Reflex is a bit wide for the Veloflex and the walls of the rim a bit thick. Nothing really untoward but the Veloflex seems to be a wee bit small for the Reflex. Maybe a Conti tubular would not provide the same impression.

All in all, excepting whether the tires are properly glued or not, I think I have a fancy pansy set of wheels which I'm looking forward to trying for performance. Once I get them on the road, I'll let y'all know the atmo. Thank you for reading.

atmo
11-23-2006, 07:27 AM
Thank you for reading.
we're here for ya' atmo.

zank
11-23-2006, 08:05 AM
catulle, I use Mastik for cross tires at 30 psi. Never rolled one off with similar gluing procedure. Rolling around at that pressure puts major stress on the bond. I think you will be fine!

I have begun usinig Mastik One tape in addition to the glue, but I never had a problem when I was using glue alone.

BigDaddySmooth
11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
Veloflex+glue+Mavic, you're living the dream, my brother!

coylifut
11-23-2006, 08:27 AM
pull it off, apply one more layer of glue to each surface and the super thin mastik tape. re apply while it's all still wet and that tire's not coming off. keep in mind that centering the tire is more difficult with the tape, but the bond is far better.

Serpico
11-23-2006, 08:39 AM
do you have a full shot of the wheel, with the tune hubs visible

terrytnt
11-23-2006, 09:36 AM
I've been using Mastik glue for years with no problems. My process is generous layer on both rim and tire, wait for 20-30 minutes and apply another layer on the tire (wait 20 minutes), then mount/ align. (To give you a relative measurement, that's slightly less than 1 tube per wheel.)

Some might say I've not been liberal enough with my glue, but I've never had any problems.

Here's the test for me, when you need to remove the tire, THAT'S FAR MORE WORK THAN MOUNTING, which tells me the tire has sufficient glue.

Big Dan
11-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Tico are those 700x20 or 700x22???

:cool:

gone
11-23-2006, 09:51 AM
If it's any comfort, I've got the exact same tire and rim and have never rolled it even with some pretty agressive cornering. I did put one additional layer (3 total) on the rim and, like you, two on the tire.

Too Tall
11-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Fit is fine. However the tyres have laytex on them that needs to be modified before gluing. Usually I go at them with a big mill file. Leave them be for a few days and than test the bond with 20 psi and see what you think. If the bond seems reasonable I'm sure what you did is fine.

PS - I glue tyres in exchange for Glocks or beer ;) Fed Ex is only a day away.
PPS - IF you decide to rip them off and reglue I'd switch to an aggressive cement such as panaracer or soyo...just one thin layer on tyre to cover the bald spots and same for rim to cover laytex contamination.

zank
11-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Yo TT, I just got a box of Soyo glue. Do you think it is more tenacious than Mastik One? I figure the Japanese track guys know how to make a tire stick. But I have Mastik One driven into my head by the cross guys. What should I use for my next glue job (along with the tubular tape).
Thanks!

Dude
11-23-2006, 10:54 AM
The Mastik glue actually says on the label that the glue should dry about 10 mins before you can put another coat on. Two days for each layer is a bit overkill (i guess if the tire doesn't roll its not overkill). I usually put one layer on the rim, let it sit for 15 mins or so, then apply a layer to the tire (conti's i'll do 2 layers on the base tape because the tape just absorbs the first layer) and then i put another layer on the rim. While it is still wet, i put the tire on. With it still wet, it is easy to center the tread of the tire.

The key is not to use too much or too little glue. Too little and you don't have a solid bond. Too much and glue gets all over the side of the tire and braking surface.

catulle
11-23-2006, 11:28 AM
Fit is fine. However the tyres have laytex on them that needs to be modified before gluing. Usually I go at them with a big mill file. Leave them be for a few days and than test the bond with 20 psi and see what you think. If the bond seems reasonable I'm sure what you did is fine.

PS - I glue tyres in exchange for Glocks or beer ;) Fed Ex is only a day away.
PPS - IF you decide to rip them off and reglue I'd switch to an aggressive cement such as panaracer or soyo...just one thin layer on tyre to cover the bald spots and same for rim to cover laytex contamination.

Beer would be far easier. For importing a firearm to the US you need:

-A hunting license and an invitation to a sporting event. It is a chore to get a hunting license from overseas.
-The abovementioned then goes to the ATF accompanied with a letter explaining why you are requesting a permit to import a firearm.
- Also, you need to fill out an ATF form (forgot the number).
- Then you may or may not get authorization from the ATF to travel with a firearm to the US.
- The above procedure applies when you travel with the firearm to the US. If you just want to send it, none of the couriers will touch a firearm. The local post office won't touch it either. Now, you might get the permit and so on if you're dealing with a shotgun. I was granted permission to travel with a shotgun last year. I doubt they'd let me travel with a pistol. Of course, you need to submit the firearm to the airline upon arrival to the airport, and the firearm must be packed in an ATF approved container.
- Been there done that, my friend. I guess I'll have to live with sticky fingers (no longer so sticky because now I use rubber gloves as per Atmo's suggestion).

You take good care now, ya hear.

catulle
11-23-2006, 11:30 AM
The Veloflex are 700 X 22. Enclosed a picture...

Too Tall
11-23-2006, 11:54 AM
Nice :) Rats, I though maybe you could kick a package off a plane for me???

Use the same glue your buds use. A working method is a good thing bro. Soyo is very aggressive meaning it's solvent is volitile and potent thus may be a good choice for a reglue in this situation...make sense?

djg
11-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Did you rough up the latex on the base tape? You don't need to get all of it off (I'm not sure it's possible to get literally all of it off), but a few minutes will remove a fair bit of stuff, and will give you a good rough surface and contact with the tape itself. You should get a good strong bond with the mastik if you prep the tire right. I just pulled a Veloflex tire (roubaix) from a rear wheel last week--I'd had it on there all year and it was still a bugger to get off.

I'd follow tt's advice--test the bond all around the tire at low pressure and see how it does. If it's solid, it's solid; if not, reglue.

catulle
11-24-2006, 06:22 AM
Nice :) Rats, I though maybe you could kick a package off a plane for me???

Use the same glue your buds use. A working method is a good thing bro. Soyo is very aggressive meaning it's solvent is volitile and potent thus may be a good choice for a reglue in this situation...make sense?

Dude, I live in the forest. No Soyo here. If I don't get a good bond, I'll reglue with Conti glue. Hey, thanx...!