PDA

View Full Version : Merckx frame and fork question

DCilliams
02-10-2019, 06:52 AM
A question for the steel experts:

A few years ago I purchased a NOS Merckx Corsa Extra frameset, which somehow had a steerer tube that was too short to fit a Campagnolo headset, and didn't seem to fit Shimano either. Fortunately, I located a lightly used Merckx fork which I'm fairly confident is a Corsa or Corsa Extra (it's hard to tell which given identical fork crowns) and the bike seems to ride fine.

That said, the perfectionist in me wants to know if using a fork - albeit from the same or similar model - that was not original to the frame somehow alters the intended ride and handling of the bike.

speedevil
02-10-2019, 07:15 AM
If the rake matches, and the axle to crown matches, then the only real difference would / could be the material used to build it.

Since you have both forks, it shouldn't be too difficult to determine the geometry differences, if there are any. And there may not be any differences.

As to materials, that I can't say with any real knowledge. Weight may be a way to make a rough determination, but you'd need to allow for the longer steerer and I'm not quite sure how you'd do that.

Bottom line, it's a Merckx, how bad could it be after all?

DCilliams
02-10-2019, 07:27 AM
Good info. Thanks!

m_sasso
02-10-2019, 11:26 AM
How much stack height do you have on the original fork < 38.5mm?
Some thing like a Dura Ace HP7600 is 31.0mm

rallizes
03-26-2019, 08:35 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Merckx-MX-Leader-bicycle-fork-mint-maybe-NOS/233179829381?hash=item364a99d485:g:X30AAOSwO~ZcmrZ W

hmmmm

Pastashop
03-26-2019, 10:31 PM
If you don’t mind telling, what’s the frame size, the head tube length, and what are the steerer tube lengths that you are working with?