PDA

View Full Version : Removing painted "Brake" on top tube

jamesdak
02-09-2019, 09:09 PM
So, for some reason my beautiful CSI has "brake" or "brakc" painted on the top tube. Never have figured out why. It's winter and I'm bored so I got thinking about this again. Anyone have any idea of a safe way to remove it without damaging the original paint?

Or a reason why it's there and not to remove it? ;)

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166698288.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166686538.jpg

weisan
02-09-2019, 09:21 PM
Just need a couple more strokes and you can transform it into a Peg...

Chris
02-09-2019, 09:24 PM
Find a local body shop (we have one owned by a cyclist) that does some detail work and have them airbrush over it. My guy touched up a nasty scratch on mine and you can’t tell there was ever a scratch or that it was touched up. That’s too classic of a paint scheme to nit do it right.

charliedid
02-09-2019, 09:24 PM
So, for some reason my beautiful CSI has "brake" or "brakc" painted on the top tube. Never have figured out why. It's winter and I'm bored so I got thinking about this again. Anyone have any idea of a safe way to remove it without damaging the original paint?

Or a reason why it's there and not to remove it? ;)

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166698288.jpg

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/166686538.jpg

The bike is from the future and that is where to TT is going to fail. :):eek:

ntb1001
02-09-2019, 09:31 PM
If someone added that on top of the clear coat...I think rubbing it with a rag soaked in Varsol should erase it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaronf
02-09-2019, 09:34 PM
To me, that definitely looks to be “user” added, i.e. not from factory. So it’s likely on top of the clearcoat. I’d first try rubbing alcohol then mineral spirits then acetone for removal. Neither should damage the original finish/clear if just applied with a towel/rag and not allowed to stand for hours.

vincenz
02-09-2019, 09:41 PM
Maybe a fixey hipster got ahold of it at one point in its life.

Hawker
02-09-2019, 09:59 PM
That almost looks like it could be nail polish?

Acetone will remove all sorts of things....be careful before you try on the TT. Maybe try underneath the BB first? Or just ask a body shop. Gorgeous bike though.

m_sasso
02-09-2019, 10:17 PM
Yes, before you go at it with acetone and destroy the clear coat try some Meguiars Mirror Glaze #2, Professional Fine Cut Cleaner. It will take some arm work if done by hand and should cut the "Brake" paint off the clear coat. The glaze will will not damage the clear coat unless used/worked excessively.

And while your at it go over the rest of your frame with the glaze and you will be amazed how good your frame/paint will look!

bjf
02-09-2019, 10:28 PM
To me, that definitely looks to be “user” added, i.e. not from factory. So it’s likely on top of the clearcoat. I’d first try rubbing alcohol then mineral spirits then acetone for removal. Neither should damage the original finish/clear if just applied with a towel/rag and not allowed to stand for hours.

This. It looks like nail polish to me.

ultraman6970
02-09-2019, 11:08 PM
If on top of the clearcoat just sand that off... Easy to know if over the clear tho, touch it :p Use like 600 wet sand paper and something that can act like a block so the strokes are even and straight. When done polish it and good to go.

vqdriver
02-10-2019, 12:38 AM
Methinks acetone will dull the clear.
Try alcohol and maybe goof off on a rag.

KarlC
02-10-2019, 04:16 AM
Yes, before you go at it with acetone and destroy the clear coat try some Meguiars Mirror Glaze #2, Professional Fine Cut Cleaner. It will take some arm work if done by hand and should cut the "Brake" paint off the clear coat. The glaze will will not damage the clear coat unless used/worked excessively.

And while your at it go over the rest of your frame with the glaze and you will be amazed how good your frame/paint will look!

Do this

retrofit
02-10-2019, 02:09 PM
Some suggestions here:

How to Remove Nail Polish Without Using Remover (https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Nail-Polish-Without-Using-Remover)

54ny77
02-10-2019, 02:19 PM
If this method doesn't outright work, continue this method but splash a little bit of acetone on the rag while still being generous with the polish so it's diluted and there is a lubricant (in the form of the polish). Keep adding more acetone with successive tries until it's gone. That's the safest route.

MURDERF4CE
02-10-2019, 04:01 PM
Definitely just nail polish.. I would try rubbing alcohol first

Uncle Cranky
02-11-2019, 06:29 AM
There is a Goof Off product called "graffiti remover" that is "safe for some auto finishes" for whatever that's worth... I've user it to remove housepaint from vintage bikes. Always leaves the original paint, decals, pinstripes but those are not cleared.

tctyres
02-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Rubbing alcohol ... either isopropyl or ethanol. Go quickly, with elbow grease. Rinse with a wet rag when it's off.

jamesdak
02-11-2019, 07:54 AM
Well, it just laughed at the alcohol. I'll get some Meguiars Mirror Glaze #2 and try that next.

zmudshark
02-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Mineral spirits (paint remover).

Uncle Cranky
02-11-2019, 09:33 AM
This is the stuff I use. Only the pro strength seems to work for me.

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/chemicals-and-cleaners/paint-strippers-and-removers/1385723

Dave
02-11-2019, 09:39 AM
Not many paints can be removed with mineral spirits or even goof-off. Nail polish requires lacquer thinner or acetone.

If the base paint is a modern urethane, lacquer thinner won't hurt it, but you should test a spot under the BB. It's usually easy to tell if a dab of acetone softens the paint.

The idea of using fine sandpaper and then some buffing compound is sound, but I'd go finer, like 1500 grit. When modern urethane is buffed out, the wet sanding has to conclude with 1500-2500 grit or modern buffing compounds won't remove the scratches. I know, from painting a hot rod and using the latest high quality compounds from Meguiar and 3M. In the old days, wet sanding was done with 600 grit and the compounds used to remove the scratches were much coarser.

Hawker
02-11-2019, 09:45 AM
Since we seem to have a consensus here that this is nail polish, perhaps your wife's nail polish remover should be tried before straight acetone? I love acetone because it really works....but it also REALLY works so, be careful. Sometimes all you need is just a hint of the stuff on a rag.

MURDERF4CE
02-11-2019, 11:40 AM
Use nail polish remover...Just hit it with some polishing compound after you finish

tctyres
02-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Well, it just laughed at the alcohol. I'll get some Meguiars Mirror Glaze #2 and try that next.

Normally, it's got to soak into the nail polish a little before it starts to move ... maybe 5-10 min. After that, it will come off. I've removed plenty of decals and nail polish with alcohol.

benb
02-11-2019, 02:34 PM
I thought nail polish remover WAS acetone.

I would not be going near it with Acetone myself.. if the bike meant that much I'd pay someone who knew what they were doing.

Having used acetone I agree with the comment about it REALLY working.

Hawker
02-11-2019, 02:39 PM
OK, what we need now is a live video stream while the OP attempts the ultimate nail polish removal. Winter is getting long huh?

Lewis Moon
02-11-2019, 02:57 PM
2000 grit sand paper and/or polishing compound. For the sand paper, use alcohol as a lube. You're not gonna do this w/o some damage to the paint. You can minimize it but the damage has basically already been done.

jtbadge
02-11-2019, 03:07 PM
I thought nail polish remover WAS acetone.

I would not be going near it with Acetone myself.. if the bike meant that much I'd pay someone who knew what they were doing.

Having used acetone I agree with the comment about it REALLY working.

Yeah, nail polish remover is acetone, but usually at a lower concentration as to be gentler on skin tissue. You can find 100% acetone pretty easily, but it's usually marketed differently.

bigman
02-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Klasse
Great product - I've used this for scratch removal with great results.
If no clear coat this should work with a slightly abrasive towel and elbow grease.

m_sasso
02-11-2019, 04:05 PM
When you go at it with the Mirror Glaze use something like a microfibre, cotton towel or old cotton T shirt for a rag and a different colour than the paint being removed. White or a light coloured rag will give you the best contrast and indicator the glaze is working.

Be sure to shake the glaze before use, the glaze will have a milkshake, watery clay consistency/viscosity.

Apply the glaze to the rag, enough to dampen the area of the rag to be used.

Use a light hand pressure, back and forth "polishing" motion for a minimum of at least 2 to 4 minutes before assuming it is not working.

You may say to your self, "this is not doing anything", check your rag for colour.

The glaze is extremely mild and cuts very slowly so it will take some work to remove the offending paint.

Be aware if you continue to go at it by hand the glaze is a very gentle abrasive and capable of cutting completely through the clear coat and into the base paint however it will take work and time.

cnighbor1
02-11-2019, 04:48 PM
try acetone if not under clear coat

foo_fighter
02-16-2019, 08:33 PM
If the acetone alone doesn't work. Try acetone + Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It's astonishingly effective. Just used it to remove a bunch of spray paint covering logos.