PDA

View Full Version : Who has done DK200?

false_Aest
02-09-2019, 04:40 PM
I'm interested in what worked and what didn't work for you.

Nutrition.
Hydration.
Bags.
Tires.

Maybe more importantly, those of you that didn't finish, what do you think you did wrong + what advice would you give to a 1st timer?

Uh, asking for a friend.

jischr
02-10-2019, 10:48 AM
From a couple youtubes I watched a while back-
#1 mental toughness
#2 nutrition and hydration, one vid had several suggestions
#3 tubeless tires

godfrey1112000
02-10-2019, 02:45 PM
Manly ride

Usually hot rainy muddy windy and all other things that end in “y”

Been invited several times, no go
Ride reports proved I was right
If you finish you are great

https://dirtykanza.com/dk200-dk100-dk50-dk25/

You can pick your poison distances

jdh
02-10-2019, 04:03 PM
I'm interested in what worked and what didn't work for you.

Nutrition.
Hydration.
Bags.
Tires.

Maybe more importantly, those of you that didn't finish, what do you think you did wrong + what advice would you give to a 1st timer?

Uh, asking for a friend.

I got to go last year.

I used a 3l Camelbak with Inifinit GoFar and Gu Roctane mixes. Alternated between the two at the first rest stops. Also took water bottles with plain water. Still ran out of liquids on the longer section. Supplemented the liquid nutrition with mixed nuts, PB&J, and had a sandwich at the halfway point.
I also took a frame bag with tools, spares, etc. Didn't need any of it and would leave it off if I got to go back.
Used Specialized Triggers with Orange Seal Endurance. I'd do the same thing again. Had a puncture at some point but never noticed until I saw the sealant on the frame while cleaning it up days later.

I couldn't stand the nutrition mix after 150 miles and just did the last refill with water leading me to not eat enough and had a tough time getting enough calories in.

For reference, I'm old, slow, overweight, and have been biking for about 4 years.

Didn't get the lottery pick this year so I'm kinda sad.
I would be happy to pay any transfer fees/expenses if your 'friend' should decide they can't make it!

John

93KgBike
02-10-2019, 04:35 PM
Well done, John.

It's on my bucket list.

jdh
02-10-2019, 06:01 PM
For reference, I'm old, slow, overweight, and have been biking for about 4 years.

John

This might be misleading about how hard the event is. It was in reference to how much I drank/ate/etc for my 'shape', such as it is, not in that it is easy enough that any old fat guy can do it. I put in over 9000 miles last year, 8500 the year before.

John.
(still looking for a DK200 transfer)