PDA

View Full Version : Is this made by Serotta?

WickedWheels
11-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm about to purchase this bike. I've never seen another one like it, but the seller thinks it may have been built by Serotta. It has Columbus Max OR tubing and on the BB it's stamped "TS113"

Any thoughts on this?

Personally, I'm buying it because I really like old "Z" stuff and because this is so unique, not because of the Serotta factor. I know that his old Ti bikes were made by Litespeed and by Clark Kent, and the carbon MTBs were Calfee-made, but I have no idea on welded steel. I didn't even know there were any steel MTBs around.

WickedWheels
11-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Here are the pictures.

Big Dan
11-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Hey, I have no clue who made it. Sure looks like a cool bike.....

Serotta PETE
11-22-2006, 07:26 PM
I do not ever recall them making any Lemonds.

WickedWheels
11-22-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm pretty excited to be getting this... even if it is in "road" form right now. I don't think I've ever seen a mountain bike with internal cable routing.

David Kirk
11-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Nope.

Dave

Serpico
11-22-2006, 07:54 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a mountain bike with internal cable routing.

klein

davids
11-22-2006, 08:39 PM
I don't think Klein was making bikes with Columbus Max.

DarkStar
11-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Had a Lemond mountain bike back in 1986, different model, almost identical to a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, except constructed from Tange Prestige. Hell of a bike, should have kept it.

WickedWheels
11-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Klein! Of course! They do it a little different, though. This looks like a sleeve for cable and housing. Klein, at least in the post-Trek era, runs only the cable through the inside. I can't think of any mountain bike company doing this, though. It doesn't seem like a great idea. I would assume that it would only get bogged down with dirt after a while.

Thank you for the LeMond Super Challenge picture. I used to have a magazine with a write-up of LeMond and his mountain bikes. They mentioned ti and carbon, but not steel (although it looks like he's riding a steel bike there). They also talked about how much better his time on the course was and how tough he was to beat. If I remember right, they had him ride a course. Then his "pacers" would ride the course and compare the time. Then the "pacers" would ride their local loops, attach a handicap to the time to guess-timate LeMond's time on the course, and then anyone could "race against LeMond".

Bill Bove
11-23-2006, 12:58 PM
I used to work at Ten Speed Drive Imports when they were the distributor for LeMond, some of those were built in Italy by Rossin and some were built on the west coast by Santana.

Changster
11-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Della Santa had a few NOS on display in San Jose earlier this year.

Bill Bove
11-23-2006, 05:21 PM
Della Santa had a few NOS on display in San Jose earlier this year.
Della Santa :rolleyes: it was a long time ago :D Santana/Della Santa, I was almost there.

We did a lot of those up for Sammy Hagar too, red for The Red Rocker :banana:

WickedWheels
11-23-2006, 11:42 PM
I recently found out that my LeMond "Z" road bike was built by Billato. I asked Greg a few weeks ago, he couldn't remember the name, but said it started with a "B" and then someone else filled me in. The mountain bike is an enigma for me.

I'd be pretty excited if it was made by Della Santa or Santana. I wonder if the "TS" on the serial number means Santana. I'll try to get in touch with them, I guess.

Thanks for the help. Any more info would be much appreciated.