PDA

View Full Version : RIP - Frank Robinson

wc1934
02-07-2019, 06:42 PM
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25946566/frank-robinson-mvp-first-black-manager-dies-83

Hall of Fame, MVP in both leagues, Triple Crown, first black manager, etc. etc.
A true gamer.

Hellgate
02-07-2019, 06:43 PM
Pretty amazing player and person.

John H.
02-07-2019, 06:59 PM
On man- My wife and her family are life long Orioles and Frank Robinson fans.

Here is a picture of a picture from 1969 at Camden Yards of Frank belting one.
My mother in law is near his elbow putting on lipstick.
My wife's family had season tickets in that spot for many years.

ElvisMerckx
02-07-2019, 07:44 PM
On man- My wife and her family are life long Orioles and Frank Robinson fans.

Here is a picture of a picture from 1969 at Camden Yards of Frank belting one.
My mother in law is near his elbow putting on lipstick.
My wife's family had season tickets in that spot for many years.

Lifelong O's fan myself. Frank played and his number was retired when Baltimore played at Memorial Stadium, Camden Yards wouldn't open for another 20+ years.

Sad news for sure.

John H.
02-07-2019, 08:03 PM
Ah- Right. It was before my time.

Lifelong O's fan myself. Frank played and his number was retired when Baltimore played at Memorial Stadium, Camden Yards wouldn't open for another 20+ years.

Sad news for sure.

Rada
02-07-2019, 11:33 PM
Worst trade the Reds ever made.

elcolombiano
02-08-2019, 12:07 AM
I grew up in Baltimore in the sixties and seventies. I remember watching Frank Robinson. My father and I would go to the ball games. We had good seats about 10 rows up behind home plate.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2019, 06:33 AM
Very sad, a great person and player. The game of baseball and america was better because of him..RIP. When I was just starting to watch baseball..late 60s, I watched on our black and white, little bitty TV with my Grandfather in Cleveland..He sat right in front with the volume ALL the WAY UP..but great to hear him yell at the TV..neither of us Knew he would eventually play for and manage the Cleveland club..

Elefantino
02-08-2019, 06:49 AM
Of all the personalities I met in my years as a sportswriter, Robby was one of the prickliest. He and print reporters had an adversarial relationship, for the most part. I was a young cub covering the Giants and admit that he scared the **** out of me because of the way he reacted to questions he didn't like. He ruled over his players with an iron rod, too, but many would have run through a wall for him.

Ironically, across the Bay at the time was Billy Martin. I got to cover the A's quite a bit one year and Billy, whose temper was legendary, was very nice to me and almost mentor-like, although he once destroyed a urinal with a bat in front of me!

wc1934
02-08-2019, 08:44 AM
Of all the personalities I met in my years as a sportswriter, Robby was one of the prickliest. He and print reporters had an adversarial relationship, for the most part. I was a young cub covering the Giants and admit that he scared the **** out of me because of the way he reacted to questions he didn't like. He ruled over his players with an iron rod, too, but many would have run through a wall for him.

Ironically, across the Bay at the time was Billy Martin. I got to cover the A's quite a bit one year and Billy, whose temper was legendary, was very nice to me and almost mentor-like, although he once destroyed a urinal with a bat in front of me!

With race relations as they were at that time, that says a lot.