PDA

View Full Version : What's cooking for T-Day?

Too Tall
11-22-2006, 07:08 PM
Here are a couple recipes I'm cooking for tommorrow. The apple tart is all about the pan....use something heavy or go home.
==========================================
Tart Tatin:
Ingredients:
13 or 14 Red Delicious apples
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
8 oz puff pastry
Instructions:
1) Peel, halve and core the apples.
2) Break the butter into small pieces and place in 10-in ovenproof pan with straight 2
1/2-in sides. Add the sugar. Stand the apple halves upside down (fat end down) and
back to back, all around the edge of the pan. Fill the center of the pan, packing in as
many more standing apple halves as will fit. You will have half a dozen or so apple
halves remaining – these will be inserted later.
3) Place the pan over a low flame. Cook 5 to 10 minutes until the butter is melted, the
sugar is dissolved, and the apples have exuded some of their juice. Cook 1 1/2
hours. Adjust the heat if necessary to achieve a slow but steady simmer. The secret
here is a slow, even, patient cooking. Every 10 minutes or so, give the pan a sharp
turn, rotating the apples slightly to keep them from sticking, and to ensure an even
caramelization. After 20 minutes or so, the apples will have shrunk enough to allow
you to slip the first of the extra apple halves in between the others. After more time,
you’ll be able to fit all the extras in.
Tarte Tatin / 2
4) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
5) If, after about 1 1/2 hours of slow cooking, all of the apple halves have been fitted
into the pan, and the juice has thickened considerably and caramelized to a deep
golden brown, remove the pan from the heat. Otherwise, continue to cook until
syrup has caramelized before proceeding.
6) Cover the apples with the circle of puff pastry, tucking the edge slightly down inside
the pan. Bake in the hot oven 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is browned.
7) Remove from the oven and allow to sit 3-4 minutes. Then carefully invert the tart
onto an oversized plate. Smooth the apples with a spatula. Collect the extra
caramel in the pan and pour it over the top.
8) Serve the tart warm with homemade ice cream.
Serves 4.
===============================
Cranberry / Orange / Apricot Salsa
*I like to put a diced jalapeno in this. Make one day ahead if you can.

3 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup honey
2 large oranges, peeled, sectioned and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Directions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combine cranberries and honey in large bowl; mix lightly. Add oranges, onion, apricots, cilantro, jalapenos and lime juice; toss gently. Refrigerate several hours to allow flavors to blend.

manet
11-22-2006, 08:10 PM
still steaming _ both apple.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_3304.jpg

pdxmech13
11-22-2006, 09:44 PM
yummy, yummy yada yada.

justinf
11-22-2006, 10:13 PM
collard greens (potatoes, vidalia onion, sea salt, black pepper, cane sugar, canola oil, and two hours of simmer).

sans chitlins.

Steve Hampsten
11-22-2006, 11:41 PM
Little Know Fact: I once won a cooking contest with a Tarte Tatin recipe that I boosted from the Chez Panisse cookbook - but that's another story.

Cast iron pan. Don't be timid with the caramel - cook it.

I'm bringing the Cheese and Cabernet course.

Too Tall
11-23-2006, 05:41 AM
Steve, you are a mind reader. Lacking a decent shape Mauviel I tried using a heavy stainless pan that was the right shape...not so good. Carmel did not develop and the pot was not heavy enough to evenly heat :( Drove to the local odds and ends store on a chance and found a Lodge cast iron high side chicken fryer...sides are about 2 3/4 high :) Just right. I'll re-make this morning. FOODIES RUL

TimD
11-23-2006, 07:37 AM
2# carrots
1C heavy cream
etc.

Puree in food processor, garnish with parsley and white pepper.

Bright orange. Tastes like ice cream!

znfdl
11-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Deep Fried Turkey injected with Black Truffle Oil

Wild Rice and Wild Mushroom Dressing: 2lbs sh_takes and 2lbs Creminis and 1lb baby portobella mushrooms

Wild mushroom gravy

Broccoli and Cauliflower casserole

Mashed Garnet Yams

2003 Edmeades Zinfandel and a 2002 Williams Seylm Allen Vineyard Pinot Noir

Blueberry and Mincemeat Pies

Vanilla Ice Cream

1995 Kiona Ice Wine

rwsaunders
11-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Progress photos from Mrs. RW. Turkey pics to follow in 3.5 hours.

http://members.aol.com/Mike6099/sounds/An_turky.wav

big shanty
11-23-2006, 10:29 AM
This was our menu (give or take an item) the past ~4 years. Last year my girlfriend and I were cooking on Thanksgiving morning and I said, "Next year, we're going to Mexico and cooking a fish on the beach." Not going to Mexico, but heading out to Orcas island in about an hour for the weekend.

-Turkey basted in white wine and butter
-Mashed potatoes
-gravy
-Sweet potato souffle
-regular stuffing
-meat stuffing feat. 1 lb. each of bacon, ground sausage and ground beef (aka "meat pudding"). It is obscene.
-green beans w/ red onion & balsamic
-pumpkin cheesecake
-chocolate pecan pie
-sweet potato pie w/ bourbon whipped cream
-homemade cinnamon ice cream

Too Tall
11-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Blahdy nice job with the pie. My fav. for t-day :)
Preparations. Family's old wedgewood turkey platter and a modern rendition.

TimD
11-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Somebody had to do it ...

Ti Designs
11-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Ramin noodles - not in much of a thanksgiving mood today...

Too Tall
11-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Come on young man...pull up a chair, check out Kathy Lee and some lame football...you'll be in with the rest of us ;)

Ginger
11-23-2006, 12:09 PM
I'm not cooking.

This makes up for last year when I helped both with my families, *and* was called in to be a pseudo personal chef for my buddies wife who, at 36 had never ever cooked a whole Thanksgiving dinner and things were...um...chaos. How can you get to 36 and not know how to make decent gravy?

My neice is hosting T-day dinner for the very first time. Scheduled to be at 1... but well...my neice was shy of the turkey (no clue why, she rasied enough birds growing up...I guess cooking a turkey for "the day" is a bit more intimidating.) So my sister went over to help.

I'm taking clemintines, nuts, and I've whipped up a tarte tatin (gluten free) that will be making the drive...

After eating a "hierloom apple" the other day have a theory about why it takes so much longer than listed for the tart to cook down. Older apples and "hierloom" apples aren't as juicy as modern varieties.

Birddog
11-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Cornbread and Blue Corn Tortilla stuffing with celery, onions and green chiles.
Eat your hearts out. Brown Turkey gravy in a "swimming pool" formed from mashed potatos.

Birddog

sjbraun
11-23-2006, 03:30 PM
Here's my Mom's recipe, faithfully made by her children every year.

Marilyn Braun’s Wild Rice Dressing

Saute 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
4 oz finely chopped mushrooms
in 1/2 cup melted butter

In a separate pot, cook 9 oz wild rice in
5 cups stock (chicken, mushroom or vegetable,)
to which you have added ½ tsp sage (or poultry seasoning,)
1 tbsp chopped parsley
salt and pepper as you see fit.

After the wild rice has cooked for 30 minutes or so,
add 2 cups of bread crumbs.
When the rice is done, mix the sautéed ingredients with the rice mixture.
Place this mixture into a baking dish (You may need to add a little liquid at this point.) and bake covered in a 350 oven for 30-60 minutes.

Again this year, our kids, home from college, took ove most of the turkey responsibilities, allowing my wife and I a lively 40 mile ride with our friends.

Happy Thanksgiving to all

Steve
Tucson- where its sunny, calm and 79 degrees this afternoon

catulle
11-23-2006, 03:47 PM
Here are a couple recipes I'm cooking for tommorrow. The apple tart is all about the pan....use something heavy or go home.
==========================================
Tart Tatin:
Ingredients:
13 or 14 Red Delicious apples
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
8 oz puff pastry
Instructions:
1) Peel, halve and core the apples.
2) Break the butter into small pieces and place in 10-in ovenproof pan with straight 2
1/2-in sides. Add the sugar. Stand the apple halves upside down (fat end down) and
back to back, all around the edge of the pan. Fill the center of the pan, packing in as
many more standing apple halves as will fit. You will have half a dozen or so apple
halves remaining – these will be inserted later.
3) Place the pan over a low flame. Cook 5 to 10 minutes until the butter is melted, the
sugar is dissolved, and the apples have exuded some of their juice. Cook 1 1/2
hours. Adjust the heat if necessary to achieve a slow but steady simmer. The secret
here is a slow, even, patient cooking. Every 10 minutes or so, give the pan a sharp
turn, rotating the apples slightly to keep them from sticking, and to ensure an even
caramelization. After 20 minutes or so, the apples will have shrunk enough to allow
you to slip the first of the extra apple halves in between the others. After more time,
you’ll be able to fit all the extras in.
Tarte Tatin / 2
4) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
5) If, after about 1 1/2 hours of slow cooking, all of the apple halves have been fitted
into the pan, and the juice has thickened considerably and caramelized to a deep
golden brown, remove the pan from the heat. Otherwise, continue to cook until
syrup has caramelized before proceeding.
6) Cover the apples with the circle of puff pastry, tucking the edge slightly down inside
the pan. Bake in the hot oven 20 to 25 minutes, until the pastry is browned.
7) Remove from the oven and allow to sit 3-4 minutes. Then carefully invert the tart
onto an oversized plate. Smooth the apples with a spatula. Collect the extra
caramel in the pan and pour it over the top.
8) Serve the tart warm with homemade ice cream.
Serves 4.
===============================
Cranberry / Orange / Apricot Salsa
*I like to put a diced jalapeno in this. Make one day ahead if you can.

3 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup honey
2 large oranges, peeled, sectioned and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Directions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Combine cranberries and honey in large bowl; mix lightly. Add oranges, onion, apricots, cilantro, jalapenos and lime juice; toss gently. Refrigerate several hours to allow flavors to blend.

Not fair...!!!

The best I can aspire for here in the third world might be a poop sandwich and vanilla ice-cream with brownies for dessert.

Too Tall
11-23-2006, 03:55 PM
I'll feed you friend...come on downnnn :)
Bird's done. Woo Woo.

Karin Kirk
11-23-2006, 04:52 PM
Cozy day so far...

Karin Kirk
11-23-2006, 04:54 PM
We got some snow this morning! After I got the pie baked I went out and planted the last of the bulbs. I could smell yummy things coming from everyone's houses.

72gmc
11-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Yer killin' me, Karin. I was soooo close to applying to Montana State. No, they did not offer a major I wanted, but they did offer Bridger Bowl. I did not do it, and a life of ski bummery was traded for a UW education and a beautiful family... a fair trade but I still love Montana.

Doesn't help that we're late in the wettest month in the recorded history of Seattle. There's moss on my moss!

Mud
11-23-2006, 06:32 PM
Only restaurant that was open was Thai food-perfect for vegetarians. That is one thing about not eating turkey. The relatives don't want to come or invite you, makes for a stress free dinner. :banana:

Karin Kirk
11-23-2006, 07:54 PM
but they did offer Bridger Bowl.

I hear ya'. That's exactly why I went to MSU too! Don't feel too bad though. It sounds like you opted for the right things. Plus, there's hardly any snow so far this year. Big Sky just delayed their opening and Bridger is probably a ways from being able to open too.

Smiley
11-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Hey Karin , what's the cats name ... Terraplane :)

SManning
11-23-2006, 09:08 PM
We had a lamb shoulder roast, purchased from a local farmer, with mashed potatoes and green beans served with a Rutz Pinot Noir. Our daughter had squash and some mashed potatoes for her first Thanksgiving dinner. We then had Pineapple Upside Down Cake for dessert.

It was nice to have a non-traditional thanksgiving dinner, especially since there's 2 1/2 of us. I wasn't in the kitchen all day and we both were able to get bike rides in this afternoon. Overall, a beautiful and wonderful Thanksgiving.

Karin Kirk
11-23-2006, 09:49 PM
Hey Karin , what's the cats name ... Terraplane :)

That's Inga!

I wanted to take more photos but the camera battery died right at the Grand Moment when everything was on the table, the candles were lit, wine glasses full - and we hadn't made a mess of everything yet.

Oh well. Here's one more photo anyway - my favorite cranberry apple sauce.

Kevan
11-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Nice day, wasn't it? Course, here it was raining and kinda cold so the morning bike ride didn't happen, but I hung around the house, helped with the cooking, goofed around with the kids, made people their first drinks, hung up their coats, teased their appetites with hors d'oeuvres, made the gravy, (some with and some without giblets) and then sat down and toasted the occasion, and recognized our good fortune.

We didn't stray too far from what you folks did with your meals, ours just tasted a little different is all.

The sun returns tomorrow and I will go and ride.

djg
11-24-2006, 09:17 AM
I set about a billion calories on the table, but consumed only a million myself.

Wednesday evening I made two pecan pies, one chocolate and one plain. Before I went to bed I put the turkey in a bath of brine in the downstairs fridge. Nothin' fancy--organic free-range bird in brine made with kosher salt, just a little brown sugar, some peppercorns, and a sprig or two of rosemary thrown in.

Thursday morning, I made a sweet tater gallette (layers of sliced sweet potatoes, apples, and a little fontina and parma cheese, with just a bit of "bread" crumbs made from almond cookies as a binder. I also did a batch of the more typical mash, with just a bit of cream and brown sugar.

Continuing the festival of the carbs theme, I cooked a couple of pounds of yukon gold potatoes or so. I large bulb of garlic was roasted in the oven during the early part of the turkey roasting, and the roasted garlic, half & half, kosher salt, and a bit of dijon mustard were whisked into the potatoes.

Let's see, more carbs: corn bread stuffing with chantarelle mushrooms, a bit of turkey sausage, herb butter, and a little bit of port. Some for the bird, and the backup pile went into a casserole with a bit of chicken stock to substitute for drippings.

The turkey was dried and rubbed with herb butter (chives, rosemary, and just a little sage) and then loosely stuffed--a bit of water, some root vegetables, and a bit of white wine in the bottom of the roasting pan.

Cranberry relish was made with berries and whole oranges.

3 lbs of French green beans had been quick steamed earlier, and then got a quick run in the pan at the last minute with just a bit of olive oil, salt, and slivers of fresh ginger.

We also had broccoli with a little bit of lime butter.

As the turkey sat, the drippings were strained and thickened with a roux, and a bit of port. Gravy on the side, and the extra mushrooms not used in the stuffing were served on top of the sliced bird.

Store bought rolls, sorry. Kind of a tradition for the wife.

We opened a bottle of white burgundy when folks showed up, then a few of Kim Crawford's Sauvignon Blanc, and then added some of Vincent Dureiul-Janthial's Rully burgundy (Vinnie makes a nice wine) with the main dinner.

At the end we had coffee, pecan pie, pumpkin and berry pies (these latter two sorts brought by cousins) and, following its ritual beheading, a belgian chocolate costco turkey.

I ate too much. Not sure the half hour on the rollers quite covered it.