PDA

View Full Version : Redshift suspension stem ‘issue?’

zoom2zoom
02-07-2019, 01:00 PM
I installed a new redshift stem for preparation of my cross country ride in April

It’s installed on an elephant NFE and i tested out the stem this morning on my commute and i noticed that there is a noticable handlebar shake while braking going do a steep hill to a point where is kind of scary

Was it not installed correctly or is this a stem design issue as i don’t see any complaints on the internet

bobswire
02-07-2019, 02:18 PM
Define handle bar shake? I love mine but had to change out the elastomers to my preference, mine was too stiff and took a lot of downward pressure to get it to move. The only movement you should be getting is up and down as the stem absorbs bumps, not shakes.

fa63
02-07-2019, 03:20 PM
Did you retighten the headset after swapping the stems? That is one common cause of shaking at speed; a loose headset.

I have been using the Redshift stem for a while now (I believe it has been over a year) with no issues.

simplemind
02-07-2019, 04:33 PM
Installed one myself a week ago, and so far it's a joy! That said, the elastomers I used were the green(80) and yellow (50) just as recommended for my weight. When I try to compress, I can't get noticeable movement. However when riding I've noticed that I still feel the big bumps, however the trail chatter on gravel is noticeable improved. I'm loving it so far.

Question for Mr. OP, it's factory set for the +6 degree position. If you flipped it upside down, -6 degree, that could be an issue.