PDA

View Full Version : So now our bad behavior is being recorded and posted to YouTube

old_fat_and_slow
02-07-2019, 10:42 AM
Wow, this is really going to make motorists more sympathetic to bike riders. Now our bad behavior and "eff you" attitudes are being recorded and posted to YouTube.

I see bikers in SoCal use this stunt to run red lights all the time. Can't believe such an old duffer has such an entitled attitude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEKBI8kIdVI

It's only 4 minutes long. It won't kill you to watch it.

yinzerniner
02-07-2019, 10:51 AM
Wow, this is really going to make motorists more sympathetic to bike riders. Now our bad behavior and "eff you" attitudes are being recorded and posted to YouTube.

I see bikers in SoCal use this stunt to run red lights all the time. Can't believe such an old duffer has such an entitled attitude.

Everyone in that video is an assh*le through and through. Also the video is almost a year old.

The video contains zero percent new information that hasn't already been disseminated by people with agendas.

There are bad cyclists everywhere, just like there are bad drivers everywhere and there are bad people everywhere. However, just because you're a cyclist, driver, or person doesn't make you a dipsh*t.

Eff both these guys, seriously. To everyone else, stay safe out there using some common sense and remember mistakes intentional or not to further your knowledge and understanding.

Jaybee
02-07-2019, 10:59 AM
Not specific to this video, but I would assume anything that you do outside of a space that you are directly in control of (i.e. your house) could be potentially captured on video.

Welcome to the future.

93KgBike
02-07-2019, 11:13 AM
I can't believe such a (*ahem*) seasoned biker is can't find more sensible thoroughfare to commute on. If you're taking the shortest path between home and work, you are doing it wrong.

In that video, the cyclist is wrong and acting out rather than acknowledging it. But he does have a sensible commuter setup.

vincenz
02-07-2019, 11:55 AM
Gotta say cyclist is wrong here. He could’ve easily stopped at the red light. I can understand if it’s a quiet road at 5 am with no one around, but this is morning or afternoon at a busy intersection.

johnmdesigner
02-07-2019, 12:09 PM
I try to be a good motorist, cyclist and pedestrian.
Unfortunately good behavior is never rewarded.
Yesterday I chewed out an uber driver because he thought it was ok to drive into the crosswalk with a red light. A nice lady said "thank you" for speaking up.
That is the best I can hope for.
All 3 Classes of human are full of assholes.

R3awak3n
02-07-2019, 12:11 PM
Cyclist is definitely wrong here and I am not even mad at him for doing that however when you get called out you just have to admit you are in the wrong and move on.

azrider
02-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Cyclist rides like a d*ck.......I'd have no problem telling him the same thing the driver did.

Driver seems a little smarmy but whatever.

Big Dan
02-07-2019, 12:13 PM
That's all the rider did?
Hate cyclist because one rider is eating chit out there and cost you a 15 second delay?

:eek:

johnmdesigner
02-07-2019, 12:21 PM
Dash cam boy has a real chip on his shoulder and probably something loaded under the seat.
The intro to the YouTube has "dick" written all over it.
That said the cyclist is a real idiot. Stay in your lane and wait for the light.

54ny77
02-07-2019, 12:24 PM
This.

And really, who the heck has the time to record, edit and upload videos like this?

Dash cam boy has a real chip on his shoulder and probably something loaded under the seat.
The intro to the YouTube has "dick" written all over it.
That said the cyclist is a real idiot. Stay in your lane and wait for the light.

johnmdesigner
02-07-2019, 12:47 PM
History (NYC history that is) shows that if I have the right of way and am killed by a vehicle nothing is going to happen to the driver.
So I take my share of the road. If it's 2 lanes with cars parked on both sides I take the lane so as not to be killed by the idiots opening their car doors or sideswiped by someone with no manners. If you really want to kill me you have to hit me in the middle of the lane.
I put my foot down at the light and stand my ground. I don't ride in little circles in the crosswalk pretending to be something else.

Nomadmax
02-07-2019, 01:09 PM
The cyclist is wrong, plain and simple. He got mad and used foul language when interacting with the driver. He's lucky he wasn't hit by a car or that the guy in the car wasn't a CNN Minute who just lost his wife, GF, job, reason to live etc. Every driver on the road has a deadly weapon within their control at all times. What's worse, drivers who injure or kill cyclists rarely do any real hard time. Driving is sacred in this country and courts generally agree.

As cyclists, we can choose to overlook it or place blame with the driver who videoed the cyclist running a red light, then put his bike perpendicular to the direction of travel in the curb lane when oncoming traffic had the true "right of way".

OR

We can endeavor to ride within the law and encourage our fellow cyclists to do so as well. Always looking for a reason not to hold oneself accountable never really does anyone any good.

Ozz
02-07-2019, 01:30 PM
Yes, cyclist is wrong....

Yet, the driver sees him, knows exactly what is going on, and still instigates the confrontation.

BTW - did the driver actually come to a complete stop before turning right on the red light...at the very least he rolled thru the crosswalk to make sure he could confront the cyclist before the cyclist could run the light.

Lots of stupid for everyone involved.....

Why do cyclists hate driver: Cuz they are all very tough sitting in 3000 lb steel and glass cages with 250 hp on tap to get away.

unterhausen
02-07-2019, 01:34 PM
I always stop if there are witnesses. Other than just playing against type, it feeds my need to cause annoyance. I'm out there for exercise most of the time, so what's another start up from a stop? As often as not the motorist would have run the the stop sign or red light anyway. In this case, had the cyclist stopped in the middle of the lane, dashcam boy would have had a conniption. I have had people go into the other lane and run a stop sign at speed because they didn't want to stop behind me.

And anyway, what the cyclist did in that video seems like a good way to get run over.

PQJ
02-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Every time every one of us throws a leg over a top tube and rides out on a public roadway we are acting as an ambassador for every other one of us. Rule #2 of Cycling Club.

It matters not that camguy might be a doosh. The only thing that matters here is that cyclingguy is absolutely a doosh. Judging by his getup and the way he meandered into the crosswalk, he is experienced. He should know better. Shame on him.

Why do cyclists hate driver: Cuz they are all very tough sitting in 3000 lb steel and glass cages with 250 hp on tap to get away.

Maybe. Maybe not. Rules of the road are rules of the road. Some people might just get more miffed at scofflaws. I'm no saint (indeed - rules and authority should apply to everyone but me) but crap like that on public roadways gets my gonads every time.

jamesdak
02-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Both are wrong clearly!

Or is it ok to stop you vehicle in a lane of travel just to have a confrontation with someone else who is also wrong. :butt:

ultraman6970
02-07-2019, 04:56 PM
THe cyclist F-ed up, thats the short answer.

prototoast
02-07-2019, 04:59 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about blackface...

ultraman6970
02-07-2019, 05:00 PM
I have really funny answers for that comment, the issue is that i could be banned for being funny :D

Seramount
02-07-2019, 05:09 PM
yawn...it was a waste of my four minutes.

in a week's worth of riding, I could easily produce an hour-long docu of all the jacktard things motorists do.

aren't drivers ambassadors too...?

m4rk540
02-07-2019, 05:41 PM
THe cyclist F-ed up, thats the short answer.

He mis-timed a green light. That intersection has protected left turns. In some intersections they're protected in both directions; in others, only in the direction which receives higher travel volume. In this intersection the protected left turns seem to alternate. The gentleman thought he was anticipating the green to give himself a head start to get across that busy intersection to the bike lane, ahead of the more than likely aggressive vehicles in two lanes of busy traffic. My guess is that that the guy with the dashcam shot into the right turn lane to get him on video. That along with the comments unnerved the cyclist so he wasn't able to accurately state his position.

Paceline, the kind of place where....

ultraman6970
02-07-2019, 05:56 PM
Well to me the solution to what the cyclist wanted to do was easy... you stop right there in the line to go straight and wait for the green light.

He did not have to do what he did... go around in circles (pretty much) w/o getting off the bike, because to do so you have to go in turning lines and even cross the street a little with the problem of incoming traffic.

I did not hear the comments of the driver but what ever the driver said the cyclist IMO F-ed up. I do get he tried to show off a little but well... at least do it the right way... stay in the line w/o moving waiting for the light, dont "invade" into turning lanes neither in the incoming traffic lane cooming from his left...

I know what he did was nothing depending on how you see it but again, add like 100 of those suckers doing stuff like that for 365 days a year and heck... drivers will get pissed...

Cyclist did the wrong thing, he f-ed up... and I do agree he did not run the red light neither had the intention of it... stay in your lane, unclip and wait, or stand still in one place till the green kicks in. Going around was such a bad idea, a turning right car doesnt see him and he is done for. He f/-ed up.

Peter P.
02-07-2019, 06:08 PM
It matters not that camguy might be a doosh. The only thing that matters here is that cyclingguy is absolutely a doosh. Judging by his getup and the way he meandered into the crosswalk, he is experienced. He should know better. Shame on him.

Judging by his getup he is NOT experienced. If he was, he'd ditch the rack and the baggy jacket and look more "pro". :rolleyes:

Seriously; I get what the driver was doing, and I understand why he "violated the law himself": in an effort to confront the cyclist it was a necessary move.

The cyclist was NOT in a bike lane; the bike lane appears to start on the FAR side of the intersection, not at the stoplight and certainly not in the crosswalk.

I've been on my bike, stopped at a light, and had other cyclists blow by me and through the red light. Apparently they felt no shame in the contrast to my presence.

I agree with PQJ although I wouldn't call the cyclist a doosh. I'd call him a turd.

johnmdesigner
02-07-2019, 06:13 PM
He mis-timed a green light. That intersection has protected left turns. In some intersections they're protected in both directions; in others, only in the direction which receives higher travel volume. In this intersection the protected left turns seem to alternate. The gentleman thought he was anticipating the green to give himself a head start to get across that busy intersection to the bike lane, ahead of the more than likely aggressive vehicles in two lanes of busy traffic. My guess is that that the guy with the dashcam shot into the right turn lane to get him on video. That along with the comments unnerved the cyclist so he wasn't able to accurately state his position.

Paceline, the kind of place where....

Well what exactly is your complaint?
They both behaved like dbags.
We've all been in a position where breaking the law was better than being killed.
If he wanted to get away he should have done just that. Ride through the intersection and keep on going.
You're implying that cyclists don't stand by their equals when they're in trouble.
I'm willing to back up anyone who is being reasonable. You're calling him a "gentleman "? Really we need an explanation.

m4rk540
02-07-2019, 06:15 PM
You're calling him a "gentleman "? Really we need an explanation.

He's older than I.

m4rk540
02-07-2019, 06:21 PM
Well to me the solution to what the cyclist wanted to do was easy... you stop right there in the line to go straight and wait for the green light.

He did not have to do what he did... go around in circles (pretty much) w/o getting off the bike, because to do so you have to go in turning lines and even cross the street a little with the problem of incoming traffic.

Cyclist did the wrong thing, he f-ed up... and I do agree he did not run the red light neither had the intention of it... stay in your lane, unclip and wait, or stand still in one place till the green kicks in. Going around was such a bad idea, a turning right car doesnt see him and he is done for. He f/-ed up.

He did "f-ed" up. But once he was 5 feet beyond the crosswalk he realized he was going to run a red. Where does he go from there? At that point, some survival instincts kick in and he turns in the direction where you wouldn't expect a vehicle.

A few years ago, I was driving on a busy two lane street near Downtown. A toddler in diapers ran into the street. A few seconds later the parents caught up to him. I didn't scream at the toddler or the parents. For me, toddlers and elderly cyclists always have the right of way. I think that's what the gentleman was trying to get across to the guy making an essentially illegal right turn. Well, at least in California.

johnmdesigner
02-07-2019, 06:27 PM
You're never going to believe this but even though you have a drivers license and pay taxes when people see you as a cyclist you have NO RIGHTS.
All you can do when you are riding is look out for yourself and remember that no one is looking out for you.
And yes, age does not always impart wisdom.

johnmdesigner
02-07-2019, 06:32 PM
Cyclists will never have any rights until they are licensed, registered and carry insurance. Then they will be legimately realized as having a right to use the road.
Until then you're just cannon fodder.

SpokeValley
02-07-2019, 06:38 PM
All 3 Classes of human are full of assholes.

Good, Bad, and Ugly? :)

johnmdesigner
02-07-2019, 06:40 PM
[/B]

Good, Bad, and Ugly? :)

Finally someone gets it.

vincenz
02-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Cyclists will never have any rights until they are licensed, registered and carry insurance. Then they will be legimately realized as having a right to use the road.
Until then you're just cannon fodder.

I wouldn’t mind paying for it if it were reasonable and drivers were educated on the changes.

oldpotatoe
02-08-2019, 06:45 AM
Yes, cyclist is wrong....

Yet, the driver sees him, knows exactly what is going on, and still instigates the confrontation.

BTW - did the driver actually come to a complete stop before turning right on the red light...at the very least he rolled thru the crosswalk to make sure he could confront the cyclist before the cyclist could run the light.

Lots of stupid for everyone involved.....

Works both ways..

Why do drivers hate cyclists? Cuz they too have a sense of entitlement and think because they are on a bike, they can break the law.

Bottom line is if the cyclist had just come to a stop, waited for the light and then continued on, this video wouldn't have been made.

Blown Reek
02-08-2019, 07:36 AM
If you don't ride like an idiot, you don't get called out for being an idiot.

zap
02-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Personally I would have waited (track stand though righteous motorists get upset with that too) inline with the motoring lane but up some.....looks like the light to go straight was about to turn green....

....but.....

...I posted this before or something close....all cyclist can ride like angels and the motoring public will still treat us like the devil.

Nomadmax
02-09-2019, 04:36 AM
Works both ways..

Why do drivers hate cyclists? Cuz they too have a sense of entitlement and think because they are on a bike, they can break the law.

Bottom line is if the cyclist had just come to a stop, waited for the light and then continued on, this video wouldn't have been made.

That's the plain truth ^^^^^.