PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Gordon Rock and Road experience with wet /mud?

d_douglas
02-06-2019, 10:11 PM
I am honing in on some fat 650 knobbier for my CX bike and the Rock N Road tires have come up as an option. They get stellar reviews and are certainly OG, but how do they do in mud and actual offroad riding?

I live in the PNW and the conditions are often muddy. As these tires were bred in SoCal, I am not sure they are cut out for this type of terrain, but I want to know others feedback, as they certainly are cool.

If not these tires, does anyone know of 650b x 45mm knobby tires that would do the job? Not looking for gravel, but more on the offroad side of things. The WTB Sendero looks cool, but I haven't loved the one set of WTB tires that I previously owned.

Thanks for any advice.

R3awak3n
02-06-2019, 10:31 PM
I think compass now makes a threaded 650b tire so that could be an option. Also schwalbe thunder burt is a popular tire too with some thread.

d_douglas
02-06-2019, 11:01 PM
Yes, those are two good options but I think the Schwalbe is too wide and the Conpass Stuff got the thumbs down from my favourite shop, saying that they fall apart. I am not sure if I can take that as gospel, but these guys serve people who ride a lot and said they’ve tossed plenty of expensive ruined Compass tires...

What about the Bruce Gordons? I kinda want them just because they’re cool :)

geordanh
02-06-2019, 11:39 PM
I have them in 650b and 700c and live in the pnw. Not awesome in the grease, but fun as hell on hero dirt. When it’s dry they are a capable mtb tire in a I want to feel like an 80’s mtb magazine cover photo sort of way. The set I have in 650b has not been ridden much. Pm if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornfed
02-07-2019, 09:31 AM
I was a dedicated RnR rider for all things dirt ... until I tried the WTB Resolutes. Lighter, faster, quieter, smoother, and tubeless. I rode them on the GAP/C&O last fall where there were numerous long stretches of 6-inch mud and they gripped and shed like champs. Bonus: tanwall. :)

MikeD
02-07-2019, 10:00 AM
Gravelking has a mud tire. Have you looked at that?

I rode Rock & Roads for a while, but in dry conditions. I don't think they would shed mud very well. We've got sticky clay soil around here so no tire works.

v531xc
02-07-2019, 10:12 AM
I like my Rock 'n Roads in both 650b and 700c. For deep mud, I don't think they're great. For average mud mixed in to tacky trails and some dry roads, I've been fine. I also use Soma Cazaderos which have been great in all conditions, but might not be the best strictly for mud. I feel they're comparable to the RnRs for mixed riding, though a bit lighter.

The WTB Resolutes look like a good alternative option as are the Compass Pumpkin Ridge. You might just want to keep them as options given the relatively limited number of >40mm/<47mm 650b knobby tires.

fishwhisperer
02-07-2019, 10:18 AM
Seconded on the WTB Resolutes. Great tire in the slop and much better on pavement than the Bruce Gordon’s. They have a rounder profile as well which lends a bit more confidence in the corners than the shoulder-heavy RnR

d_douglas
02-07-2019, 12:48 PM
Thanks all. I am actually curious about the WTB Sendero, but need to calculate whether they'll safely fit in my frame and fork. It'll be tight.

The Resolutes would be fine and theyre on the list as well.