PDA

View Full Version : Any former Fondriest X-Status owners around?

tv_vt
02-06-2019, 07:59 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any riding/ownership experience with these steel bikes.

If so, what did you think of the bike?

smead
02-06-2019, 09:42 PM
Not a former, but a current owner -

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=102064&highlight=fondriest+x-status

Awesome steel frame, light, stiff, beautifully made. There was one for cheap in the classifieds here (a 58 I think) for months with a chump change asking price - don't think it ever sold - crazy.

johnniecakes
02-07-2019, 06:44 AM
I have a x status, mine is made with EOM 16.50 steel with carbon seat stays. It is a wonderful bike, one of the best I have ever ridden. I highly recommend it. Mine with a 6700 group comes in at 17.6 pounds.

cmg
02-07-2019, 09:03 AM
i had one similar in the link. Great bike but mine was the wrong size. Very rare in that paint finish. The black rubberized is more common. I believe the front triangle is eom 16.5 and the rear triangle is Reynolds 725 or something close. Mine had a steel fork. Where it really shined was when it was descending, rock solid, did it with confidence. Went over 40mph with no shake. Had a Colnago Mix at the same time and it made me go over the parts to see why the older Fondriest was faster.

spacemen3
02-08-2019, 09:53 AM
I've got an old Status, Megachrome, Reverso, and SF-1. Great riding bikes. I've never heard a bad word about the X-Status.

mack
02-08-2019, 03:29 PM
Another BIG plus on the Fondriest x-status!
Think mine is an '04 with Dedacciai Optimal MCDV 6HT tubing, carbon seat stay(s) and the black rubber-like finish which is unfortunately getting more fugly by the year.
Stamped 54, frame has a 55cm TT for me perfect fit....I would love to strip that finish and repaint the frame, I saw one done in white and I think I've seen frame transfers on ebay.
3.3 pound frame and a great ride, I've had four Fondriest frame/fork through the years, carb level plus(2), TF1 and the x-status is the one I kept.
mack

smead
02-08-2019, 04:26 PM
The photos from the link above from 2012 were terrible. Hopefully these will put this beauty in a better light.

SoCal Al
02-21-2019, 07:31 PM
Smead, now that's a dead sexy ride! I have the same colorway in a 56CM with carbon fork that my painter chromed so it looks stock (have the stock steel fork too). With Campy Daytona hubs/Mavic ceramic GP Pro 32H rims, pedals & cages the whole thing weighed in under 18 lbs.

Last June I received a Battaglin Power+ and pulled the Campy SR11 gruppo to build it up with.

I will say that with the X-Status there wasn't one ride (seriously not ONE!) where someone didn't stop me to admire or rave about it.

It rode sooo nice and literally when I put it up at the end of a 5-6 hour ride I still felt like I could go another hour or so. Handling was solid but damn those looks...

Plum Hill
02-21-2019, 09:28 PM
I dig the Bar Cons. Don’t see them much these days.

cmg
02-21-2019, 09:45 PM
she's a beauty, in great shape. so digging it.........

f2k2
07-12-2019, 03:18 AM
I have a NEARLY PERFECT , AS NEW 1999/2000 ?? 59cm xstatus I need to move out of the garage . Located on Long Island please email if interested f2k2@msn.com

Thanks
Bruce

gianni
07-12-2019, 07:42 AM
I’m current owner and have had the bike for 7 years. Same frame as Mack’s with Dedacciai tubes, mizuno fork and carbon rear triangle. The original finish was the black rubberized dirt collector. I had Allan Wanta strip and respray. Color is flat camel brown with black lettering. I agree with all the positive comments with regard to handling and comfort. Love the bike and would highly recommend.

speedevil
07-12-2019, 08:53 AM
Can anyone help me to nail down a year and model for this Fondriest frame? Shaped steel tubes, steel fork, and a really nice paint finish. I'm thinking Record or Super Record in black would look great on this frame. Maybe 30mm deep rims.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-3tVVPvb/0/b6f2c8f1/M/i-3tVVPvb-M.jpg