PDA

View Full Version : School, Me, Please: Hooked Bead Rims

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2019, 12:58 PM
I just got some new Reynolds Attack carbon rims for my gravel bike. They are a second set to run with road tires. I am trying to mount Vittoria Rubino Pro 28's on them that I swapped off of my cross bike.

The tires are designed for hooked rims and listed as 70-100psi. The front one seated just fine to the bead when I pumped it up to 100psi--same as every other hooked bead tire I've worked with. Then I backed off to 90.

But I absolutely cannot get the rear tire to seat fully to the rim. I've deflated it and examined the bead and it looks good. I've re-inflated several times and still no go. I don't want to go too high on the pressure, keeping in mind the, ah, explosive consequences that might result.

Suggestions? Much appreciated.

Thanks!

BBD

R3awak3n
02-06-2019, 01:35 PM
I assume you are using a tube?

I have had some tires that do not want to pop into the bead, its really annoying. Eventually after inflating and deflating and adjusting they pop.

Maybe use some baby powder/talc, it will help the tire bead slide into place.

Cat3roadracer
02-06-2019, 01:52 PM
Dave,

Soap and water in a spray bottle. Massage the bead on, inflate.

BumbleBeeDave
02-06-2019, 05:04 PM
. . . and yes, I'm using a tube. Neither tube nor rim strip seem to be caught in there.

I think I've got some baby powder around here somewhere. Someone local suggested spraying some soapy water in there. So might try that.

Thanks!

BBD

keevon
02-06-2019, 07:40 PM
Try inflating the tire halfway and then using your thumbs to "roll" the tire away from the spot that won't pop. Sometimes you can massage a stubborn bead into place this way.