PDA

View Full Version : How’s the riding on Hilton Head in March?

FastforaSlowGuy
02-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Taking the fam there for a week in mid March. We are driving, so schlepping a bike is an option if the riding is okay. I’ve never been there, so if anyone has ridden the area, I’d appreciate the intel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
02-06-2019, 11:31 AM
I have never ridden down there but used to live in Savannah (this was before I got into bikes). Was down there last year and actually saw a few people ridding. I would totally bring my bike down next time I go. The weather will be nice most likely.

RFC
02-06-2019, 12:32 PM
If it's like Ocracoke, expect stout and constant prevailing winds.

eippo1
02-06-2019, 01:48 PM
Been going there for 20+ years. As said above, expect lots of wind. Also, riding on the island is awful, unless you're riding to the store, bar, beach on the bike path and not actually trying to get a workout.

I would drive off the island and ride around Beaufort or Bluffton. Much less of a chance of getting run over, running over oblivious people, or getting eaten by an alligator. Both Bluffton and Beaufort are wicked pretty, have winding scenic roads, and some varied terrain. Though you may want to limit yourself to staying east of Okatie because the roads degenerate and you might start getting a bit more backcountry than preferred.

Ralph
02-06-2019, 02:02 PM
I would just get there and rent something for cruising around with whole family. Maybe your hotel has bikes. About any old rusty bikes OK for what I imagine you will be doing.

Ralph
02-06-2019, 03:51 PM
Now....if you had said Jekyll or Sanibel Island....different story.

saab2000
02-06-2019, 03:53 PM
Now....if you had said Jekyll or Sanibel Island....different story.

Is Sanibel acceptable riding?

Ralph
02-06-2019, 04:09 PM
Is acceptable. It's flat.....but you can get in good hard miles if you wish. We usually stay around the middle of the island near Bailey's store (West Wind Inn or last time...Song of the Sea), and I usually ride up to Captiva Island (think 10 mile time trial each way....nothing to slow you down) and back each AM before the family starts planning my day. Maybe detour thru Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge (with my National Parks pass) on way back. Maybe stop at blind pass (bridge that connects Sanibel Island with Captiva island) to see what's happening on bch. Go back there at sundown with family to watch a spectacular sunset. Ride all I want there. Plenty of bike paths for family. Ding darling National Wildlife Refuge is a good place to take family for a 1/2 day....ride bikes...or take bus tour.

I would not go there for a cycling vacation.....but it's a great place to take family....and still get in some decent miles. You can maintain your cycling fitness there. Some go up and down the bridge leading over there. We live about 200 miles from there, but go often. Go to Jekyll island also. And it's owned by State of George....and only 35% of island will ever be developed. Ride hard as you want there also. But flat mostly. But you can maintain cycle fitness there also. I dislike family trips where I eat too much and lose fitness.

Ralph
02-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Hopefully, you will have nice warm weather in Hilton Head in March.....but be prepared for cold and windy.