PDA

View Full Version : Co-Motion experience anyone

Johnnysmooth
02-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Was in LBS recently and they had a few Co-Motions on display. Nice looking bikes, thoughtful build for touring, gravel grinding etc.

Anyone have direct experience with company and can share their opinions, likes, dislikes, etc?

Spinner
02-04-2019, 06:54 PM
A great company and great products. You won't be disappointed.

zap
02-04-2019, 07:01 PM
We have 2 CoMo tandems, the oldest is a fillet brazed frame that we ordered 27 years ago. Took it out for a fastish 55 mile ride Saturday. Our other tandem is S&S coupled.

Solid bike frames with great racing tandem (especially the old DE) handling.

I have no experience with their single geo but looking at the online specs, looks solid for the given app.

bikinchris
02-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Co-Motion has a stellar reputation in the tandem and touring bike world. You should have no problem.

gasman
02-04-2019, 07:23 PM
I’ve got a steel fillet-brazed cross/gravel/commuter that has taken a beating without a problem for over a decade.
Great company. They are local so I got to check out my bike as it was being built. The employees and owners are passionate about bikes.
You can’t go wrong.

eddief
02-04-2019, 07:41 PM
i took a 45 minute tour at the HQ and was blown away by how they do what they do. To some degree off-the-shelf gorgeous "production" bikes, but they can make jewelry if you know what you want and you are willing to pay the price.

PaMtbRider
02-04-2019, 09:51 PM
I have a Co-Motion Nor'wester that I have been very happy with. I've had it since 2007, have flown with it several times, and the paint still looks good. We have also had a Co-Motion tandem. They have probably made more S&S coupled bikes than all others combined.

colbyh
02-04-2019, 11:25 PM
Very happy with my Co-Motion Lucifer (alu CX racer) turned into an allroad beast. Classy touches mixed with utilitarian features that all add up to a really fun bike to ride.

ORMojo
02-04-2019, 11:34 PM
I have, or have had, multiple Co-Motions, including one tandem. I'm also local to the company, and have been on-site multiple times.

Nothing but extremely positive things to say about the bikes, people, and company.

Go for it!

nooneline
02-05-2019, 07:50 AM
I had a Ristretto, an aluminum road bike. It was absolutely lovely - welds, paint, and ride. I think it may have been the best-balanced all-around road bike I've ever ridden, though I wasn't a particularly accomplished or discerning rider at the time I had it. It was just felt excellent in ways that I haven't always seen in other bikes.

raygunner
02-05-2019, 08:57 AM
I have a second-hand Americano and before that a second-hand Cascadia.

I'm between sizes and I wanted to order a custom Americano but their dealer network in my area is sparse. It seems like East Coast & West Coast has a good batch of dealers. But in my area one of the dealer shops is (or was) a Trek shop (it seems like a bunch are) and after speaking they didn't inspire confidence as they only sold a few Co-Mo's a year and don't use a size-cycle for fitting. So for now I'm going to stick with my second-hand Americano.

For touring, my Americano (while a little large for me) is a little heavy but it's a smooth ride. It's great both loaded and unloaded.

Cons include: flared chainstays so you're feet will knock them at times. Also the design of the fork drop-out makes it a PITA for removing the wheel skewer if you've mounted a front Tubus rack (numerous threads about this online).

Previously, my touring bike was an Indy Fab Independence and I think it was a better ride.

Next time I'm going with a Waterford T14...I'm saving my money now!

Johnnysmooth
02-05-2019, 09:20 AM
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. Will dig a little deeper and start figuring out how to unload/sell a bunch of gear to help afford a Co-Mo

Then again, always like IF and they are local to me...

raygunner
02-05-2019, 07:12 PM
Also, they only do disc.

And for the cost of a stock frame you can have something custom elsewhere.

I haven't ridden one of their frames with the beer can headtube but thy look boss!

bikinchris
02-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great feedback. Will dig a little deeper and start figuring out how to unload/sell a bunch of gear to help afford a Co-Mo

I love IF and I currently ride an S&S Independence. Really great bike.

Bradford
02-05-2019, 09:57 PM

You have good taste. I have two IFs and a Co-Motion tandem...great bikes. My Co-Motion has been a joy to ride and my interactions with the folks there have been fantastic. My IFs have been just as much fun to ride. You really can't go wrong with either, just get the bike that works for the type of riding you do.

If you ever come across a Co-Motion 2005 catalog, that's my bike on the cover.

flydhest
02-08-2019, 03:38 PM
I am a fan. I have owned two of their tandems, including the S&S coupled one in Zap’s possession. Great bikes. Great company to deal with.

The tandems were amazingly easy to ride and master and yet the more I rode and better I got, I never felt like I was outgrowing it.