PDA

View Full Version : Open UP - Fender Setup

Sjambok
02-04-2019, 02:49 PM
I've had my Open UP and love it. My biggest complaint here in the PNW is the lack of fender mounts. Does anyone with one of these have a good setup besides using the SKS Raceblade Pro XLs. I find that the front fender on those doesn't cover far enough in front of the fork that I get a ton of road spray that flies up and then on to the front of me. Anyone with one of these have a better setup?

casparwhittey
02-04-2019, 05:02 PM
I've had my Open UP and love it. My biggest complaint here in the PNW is the lack of fender mounts. Does anyone with one of these have a good setup besides using the SKS Raceblade Pro XLs. I find that the front fender on those doesn't cover far enough in front of the fork that I get a ton of road spray that flies up and then on to the front of me. Anyone with one of these have a better setup?

Fellow PNW'er here and this has been the only thing giving me second thoughts on pulling the trigger on an UP frameset.... really hoping someone has some clever thoughts or experience to share on this!! :bike:

bironi
02-04-2019, 05:12 PM
That does look like a very nice bike, too bad they did not include a well designed fender option. Good luck with your search for a creative solution. I look forward to some pictures from some that are happy with their solutions.
I do know a local frame builder in Olympia, Wa. who is very good at fender installations.

rnhood
02-04-2019, 07:05 PM
I've done some credit card touring on my Tarmac using the quick release fender/rack adapters available on the internet. There are several types, all being similar, and while they do work, you might have to bend, twist or add a spacer or whatever in order to make it work. Why that UP company would make a gravel bike without the ability to attach fenders I don't know. Maybe they only intended it to be a gravel race bike. I certainly wouldn't buy one without the capability.

R3awak3n
02-04-2019, 07:50 PM
I also wish they had included fender mounts because why not. I have just embraced not having fenders, I hate them when I don't need them but loved them when I need them. In the PNW I can see why people like them. I know they are not in the cards for OPEN, I read somewhere that there i no plans for new future opens to have fender mounts.

As far as gravel bikes with fenders, I don't want fenders on my gravel bike, at least this kind of gravel bike. Ridding gravel without fenders to me is much better, not having to worry about rattles and stuff getting stuck btw fender and tire. Funny thing about fenders is, at the end of the ride, even with fenders my feed are still filthy, drive train still filthy...

Would love to see what people recommend here

John H.
02-04-2019, 07:55 PM
It is the "race bike" of gravel bikes- That is why it doesn't have fenders.

Ibis takes fenders- And I understand that it now comes with the new Enve fork that does have fender mounts.

Parlee Chebacco and the Norco also take fenders.

Or get a custom ti, that is what I did.
Full fender mounts and piles of clearance with short stays-

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpPjPMJFEwH/

AngryScientist
02-04-2019, 07:56 PM
I think it’s probably because (at least one reason...) is that the UP is billed as a real gravel bike and IMO good fitting fenders are a liability in real gravel. Pick up a stick or larger rock stick to your tire and you’re going to rip the fender off and maybe damage your carbon frame.

I totally get why one would want them and how one could definitely use them responsibly but I can also understand why they would omit them on this kind of frame.

rnhood
02-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Good points, however, with the addition of fender/rack mounts additional cycling venues are opened up. Credit card touring in particular, also greenway riding where the pavement is bumpy and not even, wet weather commuting, etc. If you're the type person that wants, and can afford a specific purpose bike for each type cycling venue then these specific purpose bikes are fine. But if you can't afford a fleet of bikes, I see no compromise in having additional features on a bike especially when there are virtually no disadvantages to said features. As mentioned, a person just needs to use the features responsibly.

Some of these "gravel bike" issues also apply to endurance bikes. Some have rack & fender mounts, some don't.

bironi
02-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Good points, however, with the addition of fender/rack mounts additional cycling venues are opened up. Credit card touring in particular, also greenway riding where the pavement is bumpy and not even, wet weather commuting, etc. If you're the type person that wants, and can afford a specific purpose bike for each type cycling venue then these specific purpose bikes are fine. But if you can't afford a fleet of bikes, I see no compromise in having additional features on a bike especially when there are virtually no disadvantages to said features. As mentioned, a person just needs to use the features responsibly.

Some of these "gravel bike" issues also apply to endurance bikes. Some have rack & fender mounts, some don't.

In total agreement. Why not provide the option.

dieonthishill
02-04-2019, 10:39 PM
SKS Raceblade Pro XLs...

R3awak3n
02-05-2019, 07:53 AM
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/speedrocker/

these seem pretty nice... but not coming out until March.

Sjambok
02-05-2019, 11:23 AM
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/speedrocker/

these seem pretty nice... but not coming out until March.

I think I found my setup, even will accommodate my 38mm G-One's. Thank you!

bironi
02-05-2019, 01:17 PM
Please report back with some pics.
Thanks much in advance.

R3awak3n
02-05-2019, 04:05 PM
I think I found my setup, even will accommodate my 38mm G-One's. Thank you!

Please report back with some pics.
Thanks much in advance.

yes please do. I am interested as well.

Sjambok
02-06-2019, 01:06 AM
yes please do. I am interested as well.

Will do!

dbnm
02-06-2019, 09:14 AM
I am assuming you've seen these?
https://ridepdw.com/collections/fenders/products/origami-rear-fender?variant=6852144070713

Clean39T
02-06-2019, 09:55 AM
If you do want to try PDW fenders, WesternBikeWorks has them on sale: https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/portland-design-works-full-metal-fenders?sg=503

They are the same company as forum sponsor BikeTiresDirect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk