PDA

View Full Version : Sram Etap with Cannondale Si Cranks

ghammer
02-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Hello Folks,

Currently got a SuperSix Evo that I'll be swapping its current SRAM Red 10spd to Etap. I'll be getting the mini gruppo (levers, charger, blips, front and rear der). The bike has Cannondale's own Si cranks.

Question: Does etap work well with Si Cranks? I believe there shouldn't be much of an issue. Can someone pitch in with info? Things to look for, pitfalls, no-nos, etc.

Thanks,

G

vqdriver
02-04-2019, 12:47 PM
this pic makes me think no problem

https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8666/29429737155_13782815d1_b.jpg

Morgul Bismark
02-04-2019, 01:51 PM
That’s actually my EVO HiMod in the photo. After a little time spent doing the FD adjustment, I never had any shifting problems with the Cannondale SiSL crank. I was using the 50/34 SiSL2 spider-ring FWIW.

vqdriver
02-04-2019, 02:05 PM
You have a nice wall

MaraudingWalrus
02-04-2019, 06:57 PM
SRAM continues to require that etap have Sram cranks. They want and mean this strongly enough that Cannondale's bikes that come with etap have Sram cranks rather than Hollowgrams now.

The reason now is emphasized is that the first model year of bikes with etap they had Hollowgrams. Some front derailleurs got ripped off the bikes from contact with the crankarm. Seems like the "tail" of the FD is in the danger zone (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTBSJPcfAXusRsilNUtQ8icsC-BvhRIniUaM6a6MAZ2-q7ZFMkO) as a result of a sort of "overshifting" that happens with etap FDs - maybe the etap derailleur goes further outboard to execute an upshift than other FDs, and a crankset a tiny amount thicker/wider than what Sram designed it to work with is at risk. Maybe not at all times (in the work stand, normal riding it might be fine), but under some combination of flex there's a higher than another derailleur chance of striking.

I've seen two FDs ripped off bikes with this combination (etap FD + hollowgrams) with my own eyeballs. It's conceptually possible that there is a point of adjustment where it wouldn't happen. But Sram really means it. I've also seen a Venge have its FD+braze on ripped off following contact with DA9000 crankset.

As an aside, it's also sort of checking which cranks you have. In current (and last maybe 3 year) Cannondale parlance (https://www.cannondale.com/en/International/Innovation/cranksets.aspx) an SI crank is not the same as a Hollowgram SI crank is not the same as a Hollowgram SISL2. I'm speaking to bad situations with Hollowgram SI & SISL2s, but I seem to think the SI is even thicker, so strike risk might be greater.

I'd be leery of doing it. Sram really doesn't want it done, and most manufacturers seem to believe them after the first model years had some contact issues, and spec all etap bikes with Sram cranks, even if that manufacturer has their own house brand of cranks.

Edit: and that is a nice wall.

Morgul Bismark
02-04-2019, 07:47 PM
Maybe Cannondale has more of a problem since they normally spec semi-compact 52/36? (just a thought, I have no specific knowledge)

I was running 50/34 and used both the SiSL with an SISL2 spiderring and SRAM RED cranks.

SRAM RED was marginally easier to set-up but it was also my second time adjusting an eTap FD. Shifting into the big ring was better with the SRAM RED crankset. My change to the SRAM RED crankset was purely for weight reduction reasons.

One combination I never got to shift well with an eTap FD was SRAM RED Cranks with Extralite 50/34 rings.

Those were my data points. YMMV.

And I do love that wall. It belongs to my local library. I only go there to borrow the wall, never the books. :rolleyes:

benc
02-05-2019, 08:25 PM
I have etap on my evo with sisl cranks and it’s amazing.