PDA

View Full Version : wider toe box?

verbs4us
02-03-2019, 08:55 PM
After 6 months of an annoying numbness in a area between my toes and ball of my foot, the doc finally does the Dx as Morton's neuroma--a thickening of tissue around the nerves leading to your toes. Mostly likely cause is cycling shoes that are too tight. ("Honest, Hon, I need to get new shoes on doctor's orders..."). For years I have loved my Sidi Genius shoes--no hot spots, no cramps, no foot pain. Great fit--except maybe my nerves think otherwise. What shoes would you recommend with a wider toe box than the Genius?

bigbill
02-03-2019, 09:00 PM
Sidi Megas? I've got a pair of Dominator Mega and they're almost too wide. The wide Shimano road shoes are good too, they're my go-to.

prototoast
02-03-2019, 09:02 PM
I have wide feed and both sidi mega and wide shimano are too narrow for me. I really like the Lake shoes in wide.

bjf
02-03-2019, 09:22 PM
Diadora also is pretty wide in the toe box.

54ny77
02-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Shimano shoes in a "wide" version make my feet happy. Very important regardless of shoe: don't cinch down or strap down the shoe buckles/straps on the foot with problems. Keep it just barely snug, if not just a tad loose. Too tight can pinch a vein and cause a bunch of ouch once moving along, esp. in hot weather.

ultraman6970
02-03-2019, 09:53 PM
Lake and bont, in that order.

donevwil
02-03-2019, 10:34 PM
Lake or Bont, sidi mega toe box is narrow. Wide at the ball, but narrows rapidly thereafter. Shimano is narrower at the ball, doesn't narrow as rapidly to the toe as Sidi, but still narrower than Lake or Bont. Lake does tend to Have a wide heel however.

I suggest you try them all, everyone's feet are different. You might find a shoe with a perfect toe box and end up with a sloppy heel.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

vqdriver
02-03-2019, 10:46 PM
Lake wide was very narrow for me
Specialized wide a lil better
Sidi mega is inconsistent shoe to shoe
Shimano wide is good for my wide feet

unterhausen
02-03-2019, 10:57 PM
the other thing to consider is that you probably need orthotics with a metatarsal bump, so your new shoes have to fit that.

I just re-read the OP. Is this doc a podiatrist? For one thing, a podiatrist would have known about Morton's right away. I get the impression that the OP's doc took a while to figure it out. I would go see a podiatrist and they will probably want to make you some orthotics. It's amazing how much difference that can make. I have Mortons because of hammer toe, which is a natural consequence of getting old

scoobydrew
02-03-2019, 11:15 PM
Lake wide was very narrow for me
Specialized wide a lil better
Sidi mega is inconsistent shoe to shoe
Shimano wide is good for my wide feet

My wide Lake MX237s aren't wide enough for my feet either. They're only slightly wider than the standard width Shimano XC90s that they replaced. I'll have to check out wide Shimanos for my next shoe.

Mustangski
02-04-2019, 12:00 AM
I have wide feet as well, I was on Lake wide shoes for the past five years or so and loved them.

I recently ordered a pair of custom Luck shoes, the experience was amazing with very quick communication from the company. Shipping wasn't great but I live in Japan so can't really comment on how fast to the states.

rnhood
02-04-2019, 04:55 AM
Another vote for the wide Shimano shoes. They replaced my Sidi Megas a good while back and work better for me, being a little wider and more comfortable footbed.

bianchi10
02-04-2019, 05:54 AM
Bont shoes for the win. I also hear good things about Lake.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2019, 06:07 AM
After 6 months of an annoying numbness in a area between my toes and ball of my foot, the doc finally does the Dx as Morton's neuroma--a thickening of tissue around the nerves leading to your toes. Mostly likely cause is cycling shoes that are too tight. ("Honest, Hon, I need to get new shoes on doctor's orders..."). For years I have loved my Sidi Genius shoes--no hot spots, no cramps, no foot pain. Great fit--except maybe my nerves think otherwise. What shoes would you recommend with a wider toe box than the Genius?

Dejavue all over again..I thought I had Morton's Neuroma, got a steroid shot..then podiatrists said no, maybe a hairline crack in second toe, which is now a hammer toe..anyway..rec was Lake shoes..have some CX-1s coming 'someday'...also used Sidi Genius for a long time...BUT look at Lake..

quattro
02-04-2019, 06:51 AM
the other thing to consider is that you probably need orthotics with a metatarsal bump, so your new shoes have to fit that.

I just re-read the OP. Is this doc a podiatrist? For one thing, a podiatrist would have known about Morton's right away. I get the impression that the OP's doc took a while to figure it out. I would go see a podiatrist and they will probably want to make you some orthotics. It's amazing how much difference that can make. I have Morton's because of hammer toe, which is a natural consequence of getting old

Totally agree with above as I hadMorton's Neuroma and have hammer toes, and no fat pad under my metatarsals of my left foot from cortisone shots.
If you are going to have custom orthotics made, make sure the person making them has a cycling background, regular orthotics are not the answer. Put a metatarsal pad on, it will greatly help, non't over tighten.
I have Lake 241 wides and love them, they have two boa dials, they are wide and have a high toe box and great adjustability, here is a very good review and details about Lake shoes. http://biketestreviews.com/lake-shoes-nite-ize-mini-reviews/
Good luck!
quattro

batman1425
02-04-2019, 07:03 AM
My wide Lake MX237s aren't wide enough for my feet either. They're only slightly wider than the standard width Shimano XC90s that they replaced. I'll have to check out wide Shimanos for my next shoe.

I'm a little surprised by this. My wide Lake MX237's are have more room than my wide R320s. I'm sure it largely depends on where you need the room though. My 5th metatarsal bump is the source of my problem, if I have enough space for that, the rest of the shoe can be reasonably narrow.

unterhausen
02-04-2019, 08:04 AM
I really wish someone would make shoes with a wider toe box. I have some Giro "High volume" shoes and they are just okay. What I have found since going to larger shoes is that they don't really slow me down at all. And having a tight toe box isn't going to give you any extra speed, that seems pretty obvious.

ls1togo
02-04-2019, 08:24 AM
After years of Sidi Genius, Ergo's and finally Shot's..I developed a "tailor's Bunion and metatarsal pad issue..after some research, I went to Lake CX237's and haven't looked back!...and yes, a metatarsal pad is required on the insole which are Lake's heat moldable ones. I can't say enough about the fit, quality and soft leather..they just don't have the bling of my Shot's!!..:)
btw, if you need even a wider shoe, Lake makes a extra wide!!

OtayBW
02-04-2019, 08:29 AM
..after some research, I went to Lake CX237's and haven't looked back!...and yes, a metatarsal pad is required on the insole which are Lake's heat moldable ones...
Just a point of clarification in that the Lake CX-237s do not come with the heat moldable insoles. Lake makes an add-on (Raven 0.3 carbon fiber heat moldable insole) for that shoe. Their CX-402 does come with the heat moldable insole.

ls1togo
02-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Just a point of clarification in that the Lake CX-237s do not come with the heat moldable insoles. Lake makes an add-on (Raven 0.3 carbon fiber heat moldable insole) for that shoe. Their CX-402 does come with the heat moldable insole.

That is true!, didn't mean to mislead...I bought the heat moldable insoles separately as the ones provided with the 237's were inadequate...

sjbraun
02-04-2019, 08:51 AM
I clicked the wrong link last week and ordered a pair of CX 237, size 46, wide. instead of the MX 237s.

I can send them back to the retailer, but if I'm sending them anywhere, I might as well send them to a Paceliner. The shoes were tried on once and when it became apparent that they were road shoes and not two bolt SPP shoes, they went back in the box.

$250 covers my costs and shipping to your door.

PM me if interested.

Steve

verbs4us
02-04-2019, 11:37 AM
I have wide feet as well, I was on Lake wide shoes for the past five years or so and loved them.

I recently ordered a pair of custom Luck shoes, the experience was amazing with very quick communication from the company. Shipping wasn't great but I live in Japan so can't really comment on how fast to the states.

Thanks for this tip. I thought "Luck" was a typo for "Lake" until I discovered there is indeed a mfgr by that name: https://luck-bike.es/en/ Anyone else used Luck shoes? Consensus seems to be moving toward Lake, esp with the moldable parts. Catch is I have a narrow heel as well.

vqdriver
02-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Thanks for this tip. I thought "Luck" was a typo for "Lake" until I discovered there is indeed a mfgr by that name: https://luck-bike.es/en/ Anyone else used Luck shoes? Consensus seems to be moving toward Lake, esp with the moldable parts. Catch is I have a narrow heel as well.

wow, that's cool. not sure i'd know how to order a pair without going to a fitter...

Mustangski
02-04-2019, 01:15 PM
wow, that's cool. not sure i'd know how to order a pair without going to a fitter...

It was an interesting experience, I measured my feet according to their site and even sent in pictures of my feet so they could do the varus/angle of the shoe. The shoe turned out very comfortable, although I went with a half size larger than their recommendation. If I had it to do again, I would stick to the recommended size as these are just slightly too big but still very comfortable.

Highly recommend Luck shoes, shoot them a message to get it rolling. They respond very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quattro
02-04-2019, 01:33 PM

The Lake241 wide have a heat moldable heel cup as do a number of their shoes.
Also note that different model Lake shoes use different lasts, one is narrower. Their web sure is very helpful.