PDA

View Full Version : More Garmin Edge 305 questions...

SoCalSteve
11-22-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi all,

This may have been discussed before...But, I'll ask again.

2 questions regarding the Garmin Edge 305:

1.) How large is it really and besides mounting it on the stem, are there any other places-ways to mount it?

2.) The Polar software is pretty cool (especially when you have all the sensors connected). Is the Garmin software as cool? If not, is there 3rd party software that can be bought (or Freeeware) that is as good or better than Garmins?

They seem to have come waaaay down in price (on ebay). Is it being discontinued? (ok, third question).

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

1centaur
11-22-2006, 01:02 PM
It's length is vaguely the width of my mid-sized hand, though I presume the actual dimensions are on the Garmin site. Contrary to early expectations I don't find it large looking at all.

I think it looks best on the stem, but the mount allows you to attach it to the bar instead if you wish.

As a side note, the mount is designed for a round base, but most of my stems are Deda Magic and have a spine in the center of the top. I cut off little strips of the rubber thing included in the mount package (for building up undersized bars) and superglued them on the underside of the mount, creating a gap in the middle into which the Deda spine fits perfectly. That solution works great. I think I have the mounts for about 9 bikes at this point.

Doubt highly they'd be discontinued. Their success was a notable part of Garmin's success as a stock this year, and just about everybody likes theirs There have not been a ton of software upgrades lately, so it seems well out of beta phase.

malcolm
11-22-2006, 04:02 PM
I like mine and use the motion based web site to down load data although I suspect I don't use it any where near its fullest potential. It looks best mounted on the stem in my opinion although it can be mounted on the bars. It will fill up the shaft part of a 100-110 stem and doesn't appear large when mounted this way at least to me. The display can be customized and reveals alot of info on one screen. My only complaint is charge life. Garmin claims 12 hours without measuring I think it is more like 8-10 hours which is usually ok but if you forget to charge it you may loose power. Mine just happened to be lying on the desk so I measured it and roughly it is 9.5 cm long X 4.5cm wide X 2 cm thick at the widest points. I've used virtually every computer you can think of and this is by far my faovrite no problems with any function including wireless cadence.

swoop
11-22-2006, 04:47 PM
oops. i posted in t he wrong thread.