PDA

View Full Version : (cycling fitness != running fitness)

smead
02-03-2019, 01:41 PM
And baby I ain't born to run ... :rolleyes:

When I took up cycling in my late 30s I was a pretty strong runner, so of course assumed I'd be a hot s##t road rider. Got schooled there rather quickly, and it took years to develop some solid speed and stamina on the bike.

Almost 20 years later with all riding and no running ..., this AM I figured I get a good short ride in before heading to my brother in law's for plates of carnitas and beans refried in real lard. The rain didn't let up, so I figured I'd go out for a 3 mile brisk run. Although I'm old, I've logged more miles this winter than I can ever recall, and am in the best cycling shape I've been in for years. So how hard could this little run be?

Ouch. After 1/4 mile, both ankles hurt. 1 mile in my left shin is killing me, right knee hurts, back starts aching. At 2 miles my left calf cramps. I finish it off running like a penguin (tiny steps, straight up) to minimize the hurt.

The cardio certainly carries over - I'm not even winded and my heart rate is barely up. But my lower body is trashed. I know I need to ramp up some impact activities to prevent bone loss, but man this running stuff sure doesn't feel like it did 20 years ago!

Spaghetti Legs
02-03-2019, 01:50 PM
I was a runner and mountain biker until transitioning to road riding about 15-20 years ago. My running peak was a marathon in 1994. My running dwindled down to 3-5 mile runs before turning into the occasional up and down the basketball court. Whenever I would try to get back into it, the short runs would be OK but the day after stiffness and soreness in the quads was almost debilitating. A couple years ago I did manage to run through it, dirt and grass trails helped and got up to about 3 miles before life got in the way again and now it’s just riding and running only when chased or chasing something.

I did, last week however, play some half court basketball with some younger guys and managed to sprain my wrist and pull a hamstring. Played pretty well up until that point however.

I do do give advice to runners in their late 30’s and 40’s though. If you enjoy running, don’t stop, because it is very painful and challenging to start again once you start to hit middle age.

doomridesout
02-03-2019, 02:01 PM
I’ve been riding for about 10 years now but never did much running until this winter. Part of the reason why is that I’d be in pain after even little runs. This winter I actually eased myself into it as a way of cross training with less daylight and less time. I managed to acclimate and start to repurpose some cycling fitness into running without hurting myself! I ran the 8.75 mile race that was my goal yesterday and I’m feeling kind of hooked now.

TBLS
02-03-2019, 02:17 PM
I am a rider first, runner second. Need to run at least 2x week to avoid the pain curve. Your cycling fitness generally allows a swift adaption but need to give it a few weeks

Worth it for cross training and, if you are older like me, bone density

mattsurf
02-03-2019, 02:30 PM
My background is cycling, but took up running 4 years ago age 42. I now run about 20-30 miles per week and ride about 150 miles per week

I try to run one half marathon distance at a slow pace (about 1h45m), a 6 mile in about 50min and some interval training, usually 5 miles in 30 mins

My advice is to build slowly, you have stong cardio fitness, which means that you can probably push your body to breaking point pretty easily, initially run 3 miles in around 30mins, it will feel like you are harly moving. Do this 2 - 3 times per week, and gradually increase pace.... but not too quickly. Do not increase pace and distance at the same time

Over a 3 months period, your running will come back fine

FWIW, a fit person reaches their maximum pace at the age of 28, however, the decline is very slow, and someone who maintains good fitness should be able to run as fast at the age of 60 as they could at the age of 20

fignon's barber
02-03-2019, 03:02 PM
And baby I ain't born to run ... :rolleyes:

When I took up cycling in my late 30s I was a pretty strong runner, so of course assumed I'd be a hot s##t road rider. Got schooled there rather quickly, and it took years to develop some solid speed and stamina on the bike.

Almost 20 years later with all riding and no running ..., this AM I figured I get a good short ride in before heading to my brother in law's for plates of carnitas and beans refried in real lard. The rain didn't let up, so I figured I'd go out for a 3 mile brisk run. Although I'm old, I've logged more miles this winter than I can ever recall, and am in the best cycling shape I've been in for years. So how hard could this little run be?

Ouch. After 1/4 mile, both ankles hurt. 1 mile in my left shin is killing me, right knee hurts, back starts aching. At 2 miles my left calf cramps. I finish it off running like a penguin (tiny steps, straight up) to minimize the hurt.

!

Wait until tomorrow.:)
I think what you're feeling is pretty normal. I feel the same when I do my once-a-year Thanksgiving run. Basically, your muscles do the opposite movements when you compare running and cycling.

PSC
02-03-2019, 03:48 PM
FWIW, a fit person reaches their maximum pace at the age of 28, however, the decline is very slow, and someone who maintains good fitness should be able to run as fast at the age of 60 as they could at the age of 20[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, in my 20's I could easily run a sub 5 minute mile, today at 54 I can easily run a sub six.

zap
02-03-2019, 04:58 PM
oh man, my running abilities fell into the abyss.

Gummee
02-03-2019, 05:34 PM
I do do give advice to runners in their late 30’s and 40’s though. If you enjoy running, don’t stop, because it is very painful and challenging to start again once you start to hit middle age.

Just turned 51 this Jan and have been running 2x week most of the winter.

First few runs were teh suck. Started to get better and better. Still not where I was when I was running rather than riding (did the clean and jerk on my R1150RT wrong at the DMV) but it does get better.

Ran 4mi then rode 26mi this afternoon. Neither went particularly well, but I did it.

M

wc1934
02-03-2019, 09:22 PM
oh man, my running abilities fell into the abyss.
yup - for me, running is tougher than cycling - especially the older I get. And I have been a runner for over 40 years.

oldpotatoe
02-04-2019, 06:22 AM
I was part of the Jim Fixx, long, slow, distance era..started in 1975 or so...ran my first marathon in 1977(USMC)..loved the freedom, ease-shorts, shoes, go run. Ran all over, on aircraft carrier, HongKong, Philippines, Singapore, Japan, ...all over. Loved it. BUT injuries, achilles tendons...so stopped, but I miss the ease of running vs the complexity of cycling. Lots less $ too.

Nothing better than running in Ft Story path, VA Bch, during a gentle snow...SO quiet, beautiful, not cold..('cold? put on a hat')...miss it but 'returning', after not running since 1985(NYC marathon, 1985), not so sure about that. I am tempted to wander into Boulder Running Company and seeing what they say..about shoes for this .68 of a century guy..starting to 'jog' again, sure isn't going to be 'running'..but I miss it.
BTW-I was built for comfort, not for speed..I ran a half marathon same pace as a 5k..meaning the 5k was pretty slow BUT running a 16 miler on Sundays was no big deal..2 hours. Did a 8-12-8-12-8-16 schedule..took Monday 'off' but still jogged around a bit..Miss it.

Gummee
02-04-2019, 11:17 AM
I was part of the Jim Fixx, long, slow, distance era..started in 1975 or so...ran my first marathon in 1977(USMC)..loved the freedom, ease-shorts, shoes, go run. Ran all over, on aircraft carrier, HongKong, Philippines, Singapore, Japan, ...all over. Loved it. BUT injuries, achilles tendons...so stopped, but I miss the ease of running vs the complexity of cycling. Lots less $ too.

Nothing better than running in Ft Story path, VA Bch, during a gentle snow...SO quiet, beautiful, not cold..('cold? put on a hat')...miss it but 'returning', after not running since 1985(NYC marathon, 1985), not so sure about that. I am tempted to wander into Boulder Running Company and seeing what they say..about shoes for this .68 of a century guy..starting to 'jog' again, sure isn't going to be 'running'..but I miss it.
BTW-I was built for comfort, not for speed..I ran a half marathon same pace as a 5k..meaning the 5k was pretty slow BUT running a 16 miler on Sundays was no big deal..2 hours. Did a 8-12-8-12-8-16 schedule..took Monday 'off' but still jogged around a bit..Miss it.
You're in one of the most active towns in the country. finding someone with whom to run shouldn't be an issue.

Finding someone that isn't world class to run with may be different.

See also: the Hash House Harriers for people to connect with that are out to have a good time.

M

oldpotatoe
02-04-2019, 11:23 AM
You're in one of the most active towns in the country. finding someone with whom to run shouldn't be an issue.

Finding someone that isn't world class to run with may be different.

See also: the Hash House Harriers for people to connect with that are out to have a good time.

M

Wouldn't run with somebody for the same reason I don't like to ride with somebody..the who, what, when, where, how far, how fast..gig is tiresome plus all the testosterone....we'll see, kinda tired of riding right now..not much motivation to go thru the motion of riding.

wasfast
02-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Some of the bigger cushion shoes from Hoka might be a good starting point. I found it ironic that they appeared during the barefoot/minimalist shoe era a few years ago. Notice who's still around.......

Gummee
02-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Wouldn't run with somebody for the same reason I don't like to ride with somebody..the who, what, when, where, how far, how fast..gig is tiresome plus all the testosterone....we'll see, kinda tired of riding right now..not much motivation to go thru the motion of riding.

Cool thing about hashing is that no one knows how long you'll be out except the hares. Takes teamwork to make a hash work.

AFA the rest: running, especially winter running, misery loves company

M

Jaybee
02-04-2019, 02:55 PM
Some of the bigger cushion shoes from Hoka might be a good starting point. I found it ironic that they appeared during the barefoot/minimalist shoe era a few years ago. Notice who's still around.......

The minimalist shoe era worked alright if you have perfect running form and were under 80mpw. If you're even a little bit off, then welcome to an overuse injury.

I've found that I can translate my marginal on-bike fitness to a 5 mile run a couple times a week. But neither of those translate to my weekly rec soccer league, where the stop/start sprints wreck me for a good 36 hours afterword.

Climb01742
02-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Doing some sort of weight bearing exercise is important for bones strength. Can be running, some forms of weight training, hoops...something to load your bones/joints.

juliussharpe
02-05-2019, 09:35 AM
I was a pretty fast runner in my 20s and that was literally my only exercise - zero pushups, nothing. Now more into biking, with the occasional run (at 46) but two things really have me stronger and more pain-free than ever - kettlebell and foam roller. If you can learn Turkish get-ups, it seemingly works every tiny muscle and translates to every activity, and all those nagging little ankle/joint pains are way less. The rest you can knock out with a foam roller. At least this has worked for me, until I drop a 50 pound kettlebell on my own head.

benb
02-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Consider yourself lucky..

I have way more cycling gifts, I got the shaft with respect to running.

Not that slow and had great endurance as a kid playing soccer.. but as my teens wore on I just became an injury magnet with respect to running.

I have really flexible arches.. what a mess. Easy to mess up my back unless I wear orthotics, but it feels like if I try to run the orthotics have always made it super hard to not be a heel striker and transfer way more shock to my knees.

I would really really love to be able to run more.. it is so simple and cheap. But I'll take cycling, I was always fast even as a kid and had good luck right away as an adult as soon as I realized it was a sport.

I wish I lived somewhere warm and/or had gotten more into swimming as a competitive sport. It's fairly inconvenient living in NE though.. gotta pay for pool memberships and drive to the pool. I worked as a lifeguard & swim instructor when I was younger... just never made the connection that soccer & running were dumb sports for me and that I should have been swimming or something. Cycling probably never would have happened as a kid cause it's expensive.

Gummee
02-05-2019, 05:47 PM
Last nite's run was hateful. Legs did not want to work.

I was DFL in the group of 3 of us that went out.

...but I persevered and made it the entire 44ish min. Yeah, I said 44min like it's an accomplishment.

I'd gone and done gravel and did cruise intervals Sat
I'd gone running with the Fauquier running club Sun for 4mi then did 26mi of mixed surface. My legs were pretty well trashed before I started out last nite. I probably should have taken the night off, but I still feel 20-some!

Today I went for about an hour on the road bike. Didn't get over 101 BPM with most of the ride in the mid-80s.

Feel better, but not great. Tomorrow's a rest day, so I'll get back at it Thurs

M

Louis
02-05-2019, 05:54 PM
I know I need to ramp up some impact activities to prevent bone loss

Is this correct? That you have to do an "impact" exercise (which I guess means either running or jumping) to prevent bone loss in your later years?

So even if you're working like crazy on the bike or the rowing machine (or swimming or elliptical) that doesn't help with bone loss?

livingminimal
02-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Running improves my cycling in massive ways. The core strength, different muscles, the cardio, it's awesome. I try to do 2-3 runs per week, every week.

Cycling does not help or improve my cycling in anyway.

More and more I'm convinced that cycling, when compared to kettlebell work, plyometrics/crossfit is kinda crap for your overall health.

Louis
02-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Luckily for me (since my knees can't take running) there are a variety of other ways to work on core strength. In my case it's primarily rowing (erg) and a some other things like planks, leg raises and Turkish get-ups

vav
02-05-2019, 06:10 PM
Is this correct? That you have to do an "impact" exercise (which I guess means either running or jumping) to prevent bone loss in your later years?

So even if you're working like crazy on the bike or the rowing machine (or swimming or elliptical) that doesn't help with bone loss?

I think weight bearing exercises is a more accurate term. Swimming, cycling, rowing, running, etc are considered non weight bearing exercises that don't do much when it comes to sarcopenia and osteopenia. The simplest and easiest solution is to hit the gym 3-4 times a week and do a few big - compound exercises like back squats, deadlifts, barbell rows, bench and shoulder presses plus pull ups and chins. I think every woman or man over the age of 40 should do this to prevent frailty and grow old strong so you don't need help to get up from the toilet :p

Nomadmax
02-06-2019, 06:30 AM
I've always been a cyclist first and a runner second, by necessity because of my job(s). When I stopped racing bicycles I ran marathons and ultras but I never "enjoyed" it; they were just ways to test myself. I don't have any injuries or other conditions that preclude me from running now but I wouldn't run if you pulled a gun on me.

On topic, IMO the big difference between running fitness and cycling fitness are the surges, especially repeated surges. There's a huge range in which cycling occurs, from very low to very high; running seems to have a much narrower range. A good runner on a bike can get gassed after a few times on the front of a paceline, especially if they don't know where to be or how to make their body one with the bike. Many times, they look like a lumberjack chopping wood with their legs.