PDA

View Full Version : Worn dropout?

fa63
02-02-2019, 05:48 PM
I recently noticed something on one of my bikes. I only noticed because I was trying to run a larger tire, and noticed the tire sitting closer to one side than the other.

Here is how I can describe it: if the bike is upside down and the wheel is just resting in the dropouts, it seems the wheel naturally wants to sit closer to the NDS chainstay. There also appears to be some play; as in the hub ends can move around just a smidge in the DS dropout. I can manually set the wheel to be centered by putting some pressure on the rim and forcing it to the middle prior to tightening the QR, but of course the wheel just goes back to its preferred state when I start riding.

The quick release is Dura Ace, so I don't think it is lack of clamping power. It is a steel frame. Could it be that the DS dropout is somehow worn out; hence the play? If not, any thoughts on what could be causing this?

ultraman6970
02-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Steel bike?

Long or short dropouts?

If long, well one of the dropouts got stretched out

fa63
02-02-2019, 06:36 PM
They are typical vertical dropouts.

charliedid
02-02-2019, 06:43 PM
Could be that the rear end is out of alignment.

John H.
02-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Are you 100% sure the rear triangle is in alignment?
Is wheel perfectly dished? Do other wheels show the same issue in this bike?
Is hub in adjustment?

steelbikerider
02-02-2019, 07:50 PM
I once had a DA skewer wear and develope enough play that it would no longer clamp tight enough. Try a new skewer.

fa63
02-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Are you 100% sure the rear triangle is in alignment?

Is wheel perfectly dished? Do other wheels show the same issue in this bike?

Is hub in adjustment?It is a nice steel frame, built by a very reputable builder. That said, I haven't verified frame alignment independently.

Wheel is perfectly dished; it sits straight in two other bikes.

I will check the hub; I suppose if there is a little play, it could allow some movement?

fa63
02-02-2019, 08:04 PM
I once had a DA skewer wear and develope enough play that it would no longer clamp tight enough. Try a new skewer.Noted; I will add it to the list of things to try.

John H.
02-02-2019, 08:12 PM
Regardless of who built it- It could still be out of alignment. Something could have happened after it was built.

It is a nice steel frame, built by a very reputable builder. That said, I haven't verified frame alignment independently.

Wheel is perfectly dished; it sits straight in two other bikes.

I will check the hub; I suppose if there is a little play, it could allow some movement?

Ralph
02-02-2019, 08:44 PM
Flip the wheel around. See if it sits in the same spot.

unterhausen
02-02-2019, 08:49 PM
I've seen some pretty crazy dropout wear, but if you had enough wear to cause a problem you would be telling us about it, not asking about it.

If you push the wheel forward in the dropouts is it centered? Builders do file dropouts occasionally.

Peter P.
02-02-2019, 08:53 PM
All the above suggestions are very good.

Add to the list to measure the dropout slot width and compare left side to right side.

I had a drive side dropout open up on me although I can't recall what caused it. I had to fit a pipe over the dropout and bend it so it measured the standard 10mm.

fa63
02-04-2019, 04:03 PM
So I think I figured it out; it appears to be caused by a worn derailleur hanger... I have a new one on order; let's see if it does the trick. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Ralph
02-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Put a 1 MM or .5 MM spacer on wheel axle and see. Just stick it on and insert wheel. No need to put it behind lock nut to see. Cheap washer at hardware store. Flipping the wheel around and locking it down with skewer will tell you if dish is slightly off. Also if it is a steel frame, originally built for 5, 6, or 7 speed, that was spread to 130 MM, maybe not spread equal both sides. And to clear the cassette, the drive side chain stay sometimes begins flaring out close to the BB.