PDA

View Full Version : OT - home wifi network

Ozz
02-02-2019, 02:00 PM
OK, I am a luddite when it comes to computer / wifi / etc....

The wifi in our home is pretty spotty...primarily in our basement where our boys rooms are located, and where they do homework....

Not getting a wifi signal down there is frustrating for them, and expensive for me cuz my older son sets up his phone as a hotspot and connects to that....and then burns thru our cellular data plan.

I have an ethernet cable running from our cable modem to the basement that they use to connect their xbox to the internet....

I have found some wifi extenders, but it seems most of them depend on connecting to a wifi signal....are there any that I can plug into the ethernet cable?

Am I going down the right path with this? Any other solutions I should be aware of?

Thanks.

unterhausen
02-02-2019, 02:10 PM
get an access point or a router that can be set up as an access point. If you already have an ethernet cable there, you could also set up a local switch and run individual wires.

Gsinill
02-02-2019, 02:11 PM
All you need to do is to setup an access point in your basement.
It uses ethernet as input to create a WLAN (WiFi network).
You can keep the same SSID (the "name" of your existing WiFi) or create a new one, e.g. "basement".

JasonF
02-02-2019, 02:43 PM
Our house in LA has a weird setup: main house is really small (1,200sf) so the ISP-provided modem and router do just fine, despite the 100 year-old plaster walls.

The property has a detached guest house which is another 600sf or so with a second floor office that's as far away as possible from the modem/router. The kicker is the downstairs of the guest house was converted to a professional recording studio by the previous owner and the walls are really thick and completely sound-proof. Double doors throughout and built like a vault. So by the time you get out there the signal strength drops pretty dramatically.

I just installed an Eero mesh network (one base station with 2 "beacons") and now get blazing-fast speeds everywhere. It was a bit pricey but since I'll be working out of the detached office knowing there's a fast connection is a plus.

I'm inept when it comes to anything tech or home-improvement related and the network was up and running in 15 minutes.

Ozz
02-02-2019, 02:45 PM
Like this: TP-Link EAP225 V3 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point?
(https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-EAP225-V3-Wireless-Supports/dp/B0781YXFBT/ref=pd_sim_147_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0781YXFBT&pd_rd_r=15f363a7-272b-11e9-a720-93fce9026ffb&pd_rd_w=dkm0l&pd_rd_wg=CXMtF&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=WX380HHTBJN93T1BKFSB&psc=1&refRID=WX380HHTBJN93T1BKFSB)

Thanks.

Gsinill
02-02-2019, 03:04 PM
Like this: TP-Link EAP225 V3 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point?
(https://smile.amazon.com/TP-Link-EAP225-V3-Wireless-Supports/dp/B0781YXFBT/ref=pd_sim_147_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0781YXFBT&pd_rd_r=15f363a7-272b-11e9-a720-93fce9026ffb&pd_rd_w=dkm0l&pd_rd_wg=CXMtF&pf_rd_p=90485860-83e9-4fd9-b838-b28a9b7fda30&pf_rd_r=WX380HHTBJN93T1BKFSB&psc=1&refRID=WX380HHTBJN93T1BKFSB)

Thanks.

Yep, that should work.

Wait... Might actually be a little overkill since it supports POE (Power over Ethernet).
This means you could power it through the ethernet cable coming from your router or cable modem if they as the source had that feature - doubt it though.
Otherwise you need to use the included PoE adapter but IMHO that is more cable clutter than having an access point with a direct power input.

paredown
02-02-2019, 03:12 PM
Our house in LA has a weird setup: main house is really small (1,200sf) so the ISP-provided modem and router do just fine, despite the 100 year-old plaster walls.

The property has a detached guest house which is another 600sf or so with a second floor office that's as far away as possible from the modem/router. The kicker is the downstairs of the guest house was converted to a professional recording studio by the previous owner and the walls are really thick and completely sound-proof. Double doors throughout and built like a vault. So by the time you get out there the signal strength drops pretty dramatically.

I just installed an Eero mesh network (one base station with 2 "beacons") and now get blazing-fast speeds everywhere. It was a bit pricey but since I'll be working out of the detached office knowing there's a fast connection is a plus.

I'm inept when it comes to anything tech or home-improvement related and the network was up and running in 15 minutes.
Installing a mesh setup will by my next step--we have thick plaster walls and a long rambling house. I've got a location set up to pull a Cat5e cable from the existing router to join the two elements of the mesh--but it's not a huge priority until some more of the rough construction is done..

radsmd
02-02-2019, 03:32 PM
We just put in a 4 unit Velop mesh system and have been very impressed with the speed and reliability as well as coverage. We also attach a router (used as a switch) to set up the time machine function that we were using the Apple AirPort Extreme for previously.

It is pricey, but very user friendly and easy to set up.

sitzmark
02-02-2019, 03:35 PM
If you can get Ethernet to each level or key locations set up a Ubiquiti network and your wireless devices will perform as best they can. Some of Ubiquiti’s models come with a power injector (PoE) so you don’t need an outlet to power the access point.

More $$ than a mesh network but much better performance. Easier to install would be an Orbi Mesh - proprietary wireless between access points for less interference. Won’t pass through speeds as well as the Ubiquiti network but will give strong signal and good throughput.

dgauthier
02-02-2019, 03:41 PM
You can keep the same SSID (the "name" of your existing WiFi) or create a new one, e.g. "basement".

^this

unterhausen
02-02-2019, 09:04 PM
if the game system running on wifi isn't acceptable, then using a router in access point mode is the best choice. Run the existing ethernet to the AP, and then a second ethernet cable to the game system

sfo1
02-02-2019, 11:24 PM
As mentioned, you are candidate for mesh network. Google wi-fi with three pods is a great product, anyone can set it up.

rkhatibi
02-03-2019, 03:19 AM

^ this. You already have a hard line so dropping in an new Access Point is the simplest solution. I usually buy two the same wifi AP and set them with the same SSID. Hand off between them will take a noticeable lag depending on the client device. Some gear has "fast switching" between APs, but it's a relatively new feature. Whatever you buy for the basement, make sure it has a few extra ethernet ports for the xbox, TV, and anything else you might want to directly connect.

Couple of thoughts on some of the other options.

Mesh - works well in a square, less so in a shotgun apartment or in a linear path (aka not a mesh). In a house you'll likely need 6 nodes rather than 3 depending on size which can push the price.

Ubiquiti - Use it myself, really nice tho pricey. Also advanced networking capabilities which I wanted. I went with the security gateway, PoE switch and two PRO APs. Lot's of how-tos online, but I have a networking background from early in my career so can't see how easy they might be to follow.

Sidenote: Would recommend Ubiquiti's free mobile WIFIman app to check signal strength. Often adjusting the AP location or "hey don't sit in the corner behind the metal refrigerator" can make a big different in usability. Easy to see this with a tool that can show you signal strength as you walk around.

tigoat
02-03-2019, 06:18 AM
I have been using Netgear's Orbi Whole Home Wifi system without problems. The main unit is on the first floor with a secondary on the second floor and one in the basement. I have compared them with a very consistent signal/speed with virtually no loss.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/default.aspx

C40_guy
02-04-2019, 09:50 AM
I have been using Netgear's Orbi Whole Home Wifi system without problems. The main unit is on the first floor with a secondary on the second floor and one in the basement. I have compared them with a very consistent signal/speed with virtually no loss.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/default.aspx

I do pretty much the same thing with three Apple Airport Extreme towers, one on each floor, all hardwired to a 16 port switch connected to my cable modem. All the demanding devices (Tivo, VOIP phone, my desktop machine, etc.) are hardwired to the switch. Easy to manage, consistent coverage...

I'm not jogging around the house with my laptop, so I'm not overly concerned about access point handoffs.

Not sure what the newer mesh networks would do for people with straightforward house setups...

unterhausen
02-04-2019, 10:57 AM
it's weird how spotty the wifi in our house is, but I can walk around with my bluetooth headphones and have very few dropouts.

huck*this
02-04-2019, 11:39 AM
it's weird how spotty the wifi in our house is, but I can walk around with my bluetooth headphones and have very few dropouts.

Two different things.

vqdriver
02-04-2019, 11:45 AM
not to be patronizing, but sometimes it's easier if you visualize what needs to happen. here's a super technical drawing of what will fix your ills.
upside - easy to do, not terribly expensive, quick fix
downside - you will have 2 wifi connections to toggle between when going from upstairs to downstairs and back and forth.
alternatively, you can simply do the same thing but add an additional access point upstairs that's mesh compatible (and use a duplicate downstairs) to create a mesh network that allows you to move back and forth.

weaponsgrade
02-04-2019, 12:07 PM
not to be patronizing, but sometimes it's easier if you visualize what needs to happen. here's a super technical drawing of what will fix your ills.
downside - you will have 2 wifi connections to toggle between when going from upstairs to downstairs and back and forth.
alternatively, you can simply do the same thing but add an additional access point upstairs that's mesh compatible (and use a duplicate downstairs) to create a mesh network that allows you to move back and forth.

Yes. This is my exact setup. I ran an ethernet cable from upstairs where my modem and first wi-fi router is located to downstairs and into a switch. The switch then connects to my second wi-fi router that is also downstairs. The switch has a couple outgoing ports so I can have either a wired connection or wireless via the wi-fi when I'm downstairs. Both wi-fi routers are Apple Airports and Apple makes it easy to setup so that I have a single wi-fi network name.

Ozz
02-04-2019, 12:36 PM
No, I was actually mapping it out already....Here is what I plan. I will need a new splitter as current one only has 5 ports. Look OK or is there a better option?

P.S. - yes, I am slightly embarrassed by the excess gaming capacity....

vqdriver
02-04-2019, 12:44 PM
that's fine.

sitzmark
02-04-2019, 01:25 PM
I do pretty much the same thing with three Apple Airport Extreme towers, one on each floor. Easy to manage, consistent coverage...

I'm not jogging around the house with my laptop, so I'm not overly concerned about access point handoffs.

Not sure what the newer mesh networks would do for me...

If you just replace one for one, it will depend on placement and design/performance of the access point. The Extreme towers perform well for consumer grade stuff. I have them running on a gigabit network and they function without issue as gigabit switches and bridged WiFi access points. The internal antenna has an OK wave pattern and reasonable signal output to reach radially in a space. If you don't get too far away, signal strength will be good. How much the signal strength overlaps the wave output of the other AE towers depends on where they are in relation to each other. "Mesh" systems are designed to self-manage set up and hand off. They are still very dependent upon placement and signal overlap. The most promoted systems don't require ethernet satellite connection and use a proprietary frequency to communicate with each other so they aren't competing for "space" on the same 2.6/5.0 GHz spectrum as all of your other devices in the home.

The Apple Extreme towers are gigabit capable and do a fairly good job with signal handling. Near an AE tower I can get 300-500Mbps throughput to my ISP (FIOS gigabit). VZ's quantum router will produce similar throughput. Move 20 feet away from either and data rates start to drop fairly quickly. These consumer grade access points/switches/routers will provide OK coverage, with decreasing performance with distance. At the far reaches there may be pockets in a home/building where signal is weak and performance drops. Another bridged AE located nearer the weak zone would eliminate the problem - AE tower has 6 internal antennas that "beam form" which allows the AE to prioritize wave pattern to where it detects devices. Where the wave pattern reaches and how strong (like all WiFi nodes) depends on surrounding construction of home/building.

The Ubiquiti Networks equipment is commercial grade and has more robust internals/functionality. The access nodes are dedicated and don't included switches/routers - they have one function ... sending and receiving WiFi. WiFi throughput on a Ubiquiti node with the same mobile device is at the upper range - 400-500+ Mbps and for greater distances from the access point. That's the advantage of the commercial grade stuff. But still it doesn't compare with 800-900Mbps throughput of wired ethernet.

unterhausen
02-04-2019, 02:28 PM
I just have back-to-back routers, one upstairs connected to the cable modem and also feeding the downstairs router. Nobody cares about two different SSID's, it's easy enough to switch. I have thought about a mesh system, but I'm not really motivated to do that. A router usually contains a 4 port switch as well.

The only time it caused any problems is when Netgear decided to change my subnet on both routers. Things stopped working, so I logged into the router in the basement, which is hidden in a messy closet. There was a message that my ISP wanted my non-routeable subnet to be changed. I have no idea why netgear or comcast thinks that my subnet is any of their business, but they didn't feel compelled to ask me before they switched it. I can think of a number of routing issues that might come up using this setup, but it has never really affected us.

Ozz
02-04-2019, 03:26 PM
OK - other than Amazon, where is a good place to buy this equipment?

unterhausen
02-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Newegg?

Best Buy will have something you could use

livingminimal
02-04-2019, 05:18 PM
CAnnot stress enough how much I love our Google Mesh system.

https://store.google.com/us/product/google_wifi_learn?hl=en-US

veloduffer
02-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Orbi fan here. We only have a 2-piece and it covers the three floors of our house, which had numerous deadspots. One is on the top floor and the other is on the second floor. We have high speed internet and now the entire house is covered with consistent speed throughout.

ariw
02-04-2019, 09:56 PM
Don’t create a 2nd network or use another access point with the same ssid, this will typically not perform well. The ubiquiti consumer stuff is excellent and doesn’t have the expense and expertise requirements that their commercial line has.

https://www.amplifi.com/

Mesh systems, at least the good ones, are better than any of the workarounds

Ari

Gsinill
02-05-2019, 08:27 AM
Don’t create a 2nd network or use another access point with the same ssid, this will typically not perform well. The ubiquiti consumer stuff is excellent and doesn’t have the expense and expertise requirements that their commercial line has.

https://www.amplifi.com/

Mesh systems, at least the good ones, are better than any of the workarounds

Ari

Isn't this the setup at any larger facility?
It's also how I configured my Unifi network at home:
APs on every floor including the basement, same SSID, different channels.
Works absolutely perfect with literally zero issues/conflicts and performs really well.

Just curious...

harblhat
02-05-2019, 09:43 AM
I also use a Ubiquiti UniFi access point at home, and it is excellent. Having one or more wired access points which actually broadcast their own signals instead of a mesh/repeater which just recycles an existing signal will generally be faster and more reliable.

hoonjr
02-05-2019, 10:17 AM
https://inwall-hd.ui.com/

Wouldn't this work? It looks to be an AP and 4 port switch in one. The one hiccup is that you'll need a POE switch upstream to power it.

I have Ubiquiti equipment in my house. Just one AP covers my entire 3 floor house. It's been a fantastic investment. I've had 0.00 downtime since I installed it, other than power outages to the entire house.

ariw
02-05-2019, 04:05 PM
I knew I shouldn't have stepped in here, this is one of the things that I do for work :-). Any of the "systems," which include both Unifi and the mesh systems (Google, Orbi, etc...) have the ability to track clients (your laptop, tablet, smartphone) and move them between access points based on signal strength, load balancing, etc.. Some of them also can provide bandsteering, i.e. pushing clients from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz. This configuration works well from an end user perspective because of the tracking mechanism and intelligence. The WiFi mesh systems also use multiple radios so that some channels are dedicated to backhaul (connection to the base) and other channels service clients.

If you setup 2 separate systems with the same SSID, your client (tablet, laptop) will have a tendency to "hop" between them, diminishing performance. Unifi is a system that uses controller software (we manage this for a few dozen customers totaling a few hundred separate units), which you can run at home. Each of the Unifi units has the ability for a direct, wired connection to the network, some of them also provide additional, switched wired connections as well. You can also uplink units wirelessly if you don;t have an Ethernet connection to that location.

Amplifi is their consumer line that incorporates a lot of the Unifi smarts into a product that doesn't require a separate software controller. It works pretty damn well and is easy to set up and troubleshoot. Nothing wrong with using Unifi at home, lots of people do it, the hardware is cheap, but setting up and running a controller is something that is over the heads of most home users. If you absolutely want the highest possible performance though, wired where possible, then Unifi is the way to go.

-Ari

Ozz
02-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Amplifi is their consumer line that incorporates a lot of the Unifi smarts into a product that doesn't require a separate software controller. It works pretty damn well and is easy to set up and troubleshoot. Nothing wrong with using Unifi at home, lots of people do it, the hardware is cheap, but setting up and running a controller is something that is over the heads of most home users. If you absolutely want the highest possible performance though, wired where possible, then Unifi is the way to go.

-Ari

So, I pulled the trigger on a simple access point to put a wifi signal into the basement per the diagram above. Nothing fancy...(about $25 (TP-Link (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UBU8IE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)))..but it was cheap.

The Amplifi system looks interesting, and for a longer term solution looks like it might be the way to go.

For now, I need to get my kid to stop burning thru our cellular data plan.

Thanks all for the input!

Cheers.