PDA

View Full Version : CX Worlds - SPOILERS creeping in!!!

mtb_frk
02-01-2019, 06:39 PM
No threads on this so, predictions? Thoughts on the course ?

Also worlds are coming to Arkansas in 2022. Not one of the hotbeds of cross for sure.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/news/how-arkansas-got-the-2022-uci-cyclocross-world-championships_483228

e-RICHIE
02-01-2019, 07:23 PM
No threads on this so, predictions? Thoughts on the course ?

Also worlds are coming to Arkansas in 2022. Not one of the hotbeds of cross for sure.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/02/news/how-arkansas-got-the-2022-uci-cyclocross-world-championships_483228

That little village in Denmark (pop less than 4,000) isn’t a CX hotbed either.

nalax
02-02-2019, 05:01 AM
cyclngfans has links to the races which are going on now.

2022 in Arkansas? At first I thought it was an Onion article or April 1.

Alan
02-02-2019, 07:01 AM
Looking forward to the races but it is a very fast course so not the best for KFC. Should be interesting. Just watched the under 23 race and it was very fast.

Alan

wtex
02-02-2019, 08:54 AM
Baller riding out there, great race!

Bruce K
02-02-2019, 08:57 AM
Very exciting women’s race

BK

oldpotatoe
02-02-2019, 08:58 AM
Very exciting women’s race

BK

VERY...Belgium, Dutch, Dutch, Dutch, Swiss..looks cold and wet...

bikinchris
02-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Wow. Great race. Did Alex ever answer?

Veloo
02-02-2019, 09:05 AM
Spoiler alert!

Coincidence that of the Dutch breakaway riders, Annemarie finished the "Worst". :banana:

LJohnny
02-02-2019, 09:28 AM
**spoiler**

Talk about a botched pit stop there. What was that mechanic thinking?

e-RICHIE
02-02-2019, 09:29 AM
**spoiler**

Talk about a botched pit stop there. What was that mechanic thinking?

He was thinking she should be unclipped before taking a clean bicycle. Her fault, sadly.

Elefantino
02-02-2019, 09:31 AM
Wow. Great race. Did Alex ever answer?

No. Alex was silent.

LJohnny
02-02-2019, 09:33 AM
He was thinking she should be unclipped before taking a clean bicycle. Her fault, sadly.

Well, shouldn't he be specifically looking at the rider's two feet on the ground before reaching back away with the bike>? I think the mechanic took the bike one step too early, ATMO ; - )

choke
02-02-2019, 09:35 AM
She certainly deserved that win.

Neff was looking really good, I wonder what happened to her.

That little village in Denmark (pop less than 4,000) isn’t a CX hotbed either.Perhaps not but at least it has hosted a World Cup before.

Elefantino
02-02-2019, 09:36 AM
Neff was looking really good, I wonder what happened to her.
I think she was ultimately cooked by that 6:36 lap.

e-RICHIE
02-02-2019, 09:37 AM
Perhaps not but at least it has hosted a World Cup before.

And before that, it didn't.
Plenty of real estate on the calendar between now and 2022.

e-RICHIE
02-02-2019, 09:39 AM
Well, shouldn't he be specifically looking at the rider's two feet on the ground before reaching back away with the bike>? I think the mechanic took the bike one step too early, ATMO ; - )

He should look at the stem and bars with laser focus. He's there so that they end up in his hands. That's what the catching pit crew person does.

I'm okay if we disagree.

LJohnny
02-02-2019, 09:43 AM
He should look at the stem and bars with laser focus. He's there so that they end up in his hands. That's what the catching pit crew person does.

I'm okay if we disagree.

:beer: :beer:

nooneline
02-02-2019, 09:43 AM

That's not really possible, not how it works. Not in my pit experience, anyway.

The receiving mechanic stands next to the handoff mechanic. They stay put. When the bike gets to you, you take it - you're watching the bike, not the rider's feet. If a rider is still clipped in by the time they're trying to dismount their bike and take a fresh bike, well, that's a problem that the mechanic can't solve. The timing is up to the rider, and it's why you often see riders err on the side of caution - dumping their bike before the receiving mechanic and taking several steps before getting their fresh bike. If the mechanic hadn't received the bike, Brand would likely have crashed into her fresh bike and that would have been worse.

Veloo
02-02-2019, 10:08 AM
Too bad the UCI Channel on Youtube only aired the elite women. The younger races can be more exciting.

Gummee
02-02-2019, 10:11 AM
My feed was glitching so badly, I missed lots.

Grr

M

Bruce K
02-02-2019, 10:40 AM
If you watch the replay in slo-mo, it appears Brand twists sideways and lands perpendicular to the path of travel/momentum.

There was no way she was going to stay on her feet in that position.

Her fault, I think.

Add that to her crash and she gave away enough time plus forced herself to ride harder to keep catching back up. Great effort but the cleaner ride/rider won.

BK

PaMtbRider
02-02-2019, 10:45 AM
The lousy bike exchange wasn't the only reason she lost today. She was on the ground a few times through no fault but her own. She rode great to make up lost time, but not enough to overtake an error free Sanne Cant. Sanne deserved the win today.

Red Tornado
02-02-2019, 10:46 AM
VERY...Belgium, Dutch, Dutch, Dutch, Swiss..looks cold and wet...

Yes, def a good race, as we would expect from the pro women. Typically they don't disappoint.
For all the talk of up-and-coming riders from other nations, this race was a Belgian/Dutch show when all said and done. All of the top 5 and 7 of the top 10 from those two countries.
Congrats to Kaitlin Keough, Jolanda Neff & Nikki Brammier for cracking the top 10. I look forward to some good racing years from the first two who are relatively young.

nooneline
02-02-2019, 10:57 AM
The lousy bike exchange wasn't the only reason she lost today. She was on the ground a few times through no fault but her own. She rode great to make up lost time, but not enough to overtake an error free Sanne Cant. Sanne deserved the win today.

Yeah. Brand was suuuuper strong, but Cant rode absolutely flawlessly. She was always comfortably and steadily in the front group. She never made a mistake that put her on the backfoot, she wasn't closing gaps, she didn't put in any wasted attacks.

I thought something was up halfway through when Vos was 5 seconds back and looking totally gassed - that was when I realized that the race was absolutely harder and faster than it looked, and that's when I figured that as strong as Betsama was looking at the time, constantly putting everyone under pressure, the race was gonna go to somebody who kept their powder dry - and up until then Cant was riding pretty anonymously. Super patient, super skilled victory.

weisan
02-02-2019, 11:55 AM
The strongest rider won.

BdaGhisallo
02-02-2019, 01:05 PM

That was a test event for the organizers to iron out any wrinkles before the World Championships.

BdaGhisallo
02-02-2019, 01:07 PM
Too bad the UCI Channel on Youtube only aired the elite women. The younger races can be more exciting.

I watched all three of today's races on the UCI channel on YT.

Men U23 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK_p_wmGOlE

Junior Men https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjtVy8Jn-iI

PaMtbRider
02-02-2019, 03:34 PM
The strongest rider won.

I think Brand was definitely the strongest rider today. Cyclocross isn't road racing though, and Sanne Cant beat a stronger rider by using her skills and experience.

Brendan Quirk
02-02-2019, 05:00 PM
She certainly deserved that win.

UCI is pretty strict on how event production works. For example, you have to run a USAC calendar event prior to running a UCI event. You need to run a UCI C1 or C2 prior to running a World Cup. Clearly, it's best to run a World Cup prior to a World Championship. Etc etc.

We will have a two-day C2 on the 1st weekend of October, 2019. We aspire to have a World Cup in 2020. Then Worlds in Jan 2022. We feel like we'll be tested & ready by then. In Bogense now, and walking around with UCI and USAC people has been a fantastic opportunity to learn.

Given what we've already accomplished in NW Arkansas vis a vis mountain bike infrastructure and events, combined with the folks we've partnered with on CX (Brook Watts is phenomenal), I think we'll do Worlds proud!

If any Paceliners ever want to come down to NW Arkansas to ride our trails or sample what's going on at Millsaps Mtn, I'm just one PM away. Dinner on me!

GregL
02-02-2019, 05:09 PM
UCI is pretty strict on how event production works. For example, you have to run a USAC calendar event prior to running a UCI event. You need to run a UCI C1 or C2 prior to running a World Cup. Clearly, it's best to run a World Cup prior to a World Championship. Etc etc.

We will have a two-day C2 on the 1st weekend of October, 2019. We aspire to have a World Cup in 2020. Then Worlds in Jan 2022. We feel like we'll be tested & ready by then. In Bogense now, and walking around with UCI and USAC people has been a fantastic opportunity to learn.

Given what we've already accomplished in NW Arkansas vis a vis mountain bike infrastructure and events, combined with the folks we've partnered with on CX (Brook Watts is phenomenal), I think we'll do Worlds proud!

If any Paceliners ever want to come down to NW Arkansas to ride our trails or sample what's going on at Millsaps Mtn, I'm just one PM away. Dinner on me!Congrats to you and the Fayetteville team for getting the 2022 worlds! It will be interesting to read your observations over the next three years as you prepare for the big event.

Greg

Hellgate
02-02-2019, 05:48 PM

If any Paceliners ever want to come down to NW Arkansas to ride our trails or sample what's going on at Millsaps Mtn, I'm just one PM away. Dinner on me!I've ridden both bicycles and motorcycles in Arkansas, it's really an unknown area for 2 wheels.

Rode the Bentonville Stage Race a few times, hot and humid as hell, but a wonderful race!

bikinchris
02-02-2019, 08:11 PM

If any Paceliners ever want to come down to NW Arkansas to ride our trails or sample what's going on at Millsaps Mtn, I'm just one PM away. Dinner on me!

I just moved to Little Rock and we will definitely want to hear more about the upcoming events. Is there a Facebook group to learn more?

wtex
02-02-2019, 08:28 PM
Brendan - keep us updated, I'm planning on attending. This is such a great opportunity for US CX!

bikinchris
02-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Ok, I see the Facebook group for @BikeNWA to follow.

choke
02-03-2019, 05:49 AM
The Women's U23 race was really good. What a finish.

GregL
02-03-2019, 08:21 AM
WOW! Two laps into the men's race and the pace is insane.

fignon's barber
02-03-2019, 08:38 AM

How are you watching? seems like all the usual outlets have been blocked for copyright restrictions.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2019, 08:49 AM

Gonna say the same thing..these guys are FLYING...

charliedid
02-03-2019, 08:53 AM
How are you watching? seems like all the usual outlets have been blocked for copyright restrictions.

I'd like to know as well.

oldpotatoe
02-03-2019, 09:05 AM
I'd like to know as well.

nbc gold for me..

might try tiz cycling...
https://tiz-cycling.live/

charliedid
02-03-2019, 09:09 AM
nbc gold for me..

might try tiz cycling...
https://tiz-cycling.live/

Right

Thanks

oldpotatoe
02-03-2019, 09:11 AM
This kinda effort and no water, for over an hour of all out..impressive..

HOLY crap..crash on last lap...

Lewis Moon
02-03-2019, 09:19 AM
Order is restored.

Elefantino
02-03-2019, 09:21 AM
The one off-camber section is where MVDP won the race, but even without that Van Aert bobble it would have been no contest. MVDP is just too damn strong.

Feel bad for Toon Aerts, he was one slip away from silver.

The podium is 24, 24, and 25 years old. Wow.

Can't wait to see the MVDP-WVA battle move to the road. Flanders is going to be fun.

nooneline
02-03-2019, 10:29 AM
The one off-camber section is where MVDP won the race, but even without that Van Aert bobble it would have been no contest. MVDP is just too damn strong.

Feel bad for Toon Aerts, he was one slip away from silver.

The podium is 24, 24, and 25 years old. Wow.

Can't wait to see the MVDP-WVA battle move to the road. Flanders is going to be fun.

for all the somewhat expected outcome, it was a phenomenal race. wout's initial chase and catch was pretty amazing, and that one offcamber let us really see where the difference was made. plus the slow-burn wout-toon plot was good, too.

dancinkozmo
02-03-2019, 11:41 AM
you have to wonder whether mvdp is juicing. he has the same deadpan expression pharmstrong used to have when on the attack . meanwhile the others are in visibly agony.

nooneline
02-03-2019, 03:16 PM
you have to wonder whether mvdp is juicing. he has the same deadpan expression pharmstrong used to have when on the attack . meanwhile the others are in visibly agony.

visible agony kind of like this?

i feel like facial expressions probably aren't the best antidoping test. and, VDP has on several occasions ridden himself so deep that he collapses after the race, so.

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2017/11/01/1/sptdw10017_670.jpg

dancinkozmo
02-03-2019, 03:59 PM
youre right...im sure he's clean as a whistle

JStonebarger
02-03-2019, 04:09 PM
I can't think of a pro bike racer that I'm sure isn't doping.

On the other hand, MvdP's history of performance is remarkably consistent. Despite his "deadpan expression" his biggest weakness has alway been mental. Meanwhile on at least one occasion he has challenged opponents (unsuccessfully) to more transparency by making public his medical history/TUE papers.

nooneline
02-03-2019, 05:25 PM
youre right...im sure he's clean as a whistle

I didn't say that. I don't know that. I'm just admitting that it's foolish to try to figure it out based on facial expressions. Sorry if that's a bridge too far for you.

Gummee
02-03-2019, 05:29 PM

Why would you show weakness? I've got the same expression on my face whether I'm hammering or toodling.

WvA was certainly working: the snot/spit on his mouth told that tale

M

choke
02-03-2019, 06:48 PM
for all the somewhat expected outcome, it was a phenomenal race. wout's initial chase and catch was pretty amazing, and that one offcamber let us really see where the difference was made. plus the slow-burn wout-toon plot was good, too.I have to say that I found it pretty boring. Yes, Wout's chase/catch was good but after he was dropped again it became quite dull for me.

livingminimal
02-03-2019, 06:52 PM
Im glad it was a better-than-average-euro-cross-duel between the two but please wake me up when its Flanders Time. (aka sexy time). (sexy ned flanders)

Lewis Moon
02-04-2019, 09:15 AM
Im glad it was a better-than-average-euro-cross-duel between the two but please wake me up when its Flanders Time. (aka sexy time). (sexy ned flanders)

https://i.imgur.com/53x1tqY.jpg

chiasticon
02-04-2019, 09:58 AM
you have to wonder whether mvdp is juicing. he has the same deadpan expression pharmstrong used to have when on the attack . meanwhile the others are in visibly agony.funny, last year after Wout won people said he looked like he was barely working, breathing through his nose, etc... but it's hilarious to me to judge whether or not riders are doping just based on their facial expressions. by that measure, Nairo Quintana must be the biggest doper there ever was!

mvdp made very few mistakes. I saw one slight bobble on that off-camber yesterday that cost him maybe two seconds (but he was 25+ seconds out at that point), and that's it. Wout slid several times there and elsewhere. same with Toon. same can be said for the women's race; Cant made zero mistakes, iirc. Brand and Vos had to chase back repeatedly because of theirs.

mvdp consistently hits nearly every course obstacle faster than the rest of them. and they have to close those tiny gaps over and over and over. he's taking each corner faster and putting a bike length into them, while recovering (not pedaling), and they have to close it. that adds up. and if he's not making mistakes, he's gone. of course they look like they're in agony chasing him.

Jaybee
02-04-2019, 10:45 AM
In any sport, there are people who make it look easy, and people who make it look hard. I'm not sure there is a real correlation between volume of snot+spit and performance.

chiasticon, IMO, is exactly right about MVDP being "technically" better than everyone else, which means everyone else needs that much more effort to make up those microgaps that accumulate throughout the race. The dude is a savant level bike handler.

I agree that no one in bike racing is above suspicion, but I don't see any special evidence to say MVDP is doping.

JStonebarger
02-04-2019, 11:08 AM
mvdp consistently hits nearly every course obstacle faster than the rest of them. and they have to close those tiny gaps over and over and over. he's taking each corner faster and putting a bike length into them, while recovering (not pedaling), and they have to close it. that adds up. and if he's not making mistakes, he's gone. of course they look like they're in agony chasing him.

So true. Just watch the barriers. No one rides them as well as MvdP -- he doesn't even slow down. Even the racers who've been riding barriers for years coast longer or even brake before. I don't think MvdP gives up any speed.

MattTuck
02-04-2019, 11:15 AM
I didn't say that. I don't know that. I'm just admitting that it's foolish to try to figure it out based on facial expressions. Sorry if that's a bridge too far for you.

Tommy V was the cleanest rider ever.

Gummee
02-04-2019, 11:22 AM
IF MvdP had made a mistake on that slippy off-camber, the race would have been lots closer.

He didn't.

WvA did (repeatedly) and thus the race was won.

I saw it happen the 1st time MvdP got over that stretch and WvA slipped and thought 'there's the race.' MvdP took off like a shot to make time.

The 2nd time WvA slipped, it was all over but the singing. You could see it WvA's riding.

At least Toon has the consolation of being Belgian Champion. ...w a fancy new paint job on his Boone too!

M

crankles
02-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Yeah. Brand was suuuuper strong, but Cant rode absolutely flawlessly. She was always comfortably and steadily in the front group. She never made a mistake that put her on the backfoot, she wasn't closing gaps, she didn't put in any wasted attacks.

I thought something was up halfway through when Vos was 5 seconds back and looking totally gassed - that was when I realized that the race was absolutely harder and faster than it looked, and that's when I figured that as strong as Betsama was looking at the time, constantly putting everyone under pressure, the race was gonna go to somebody who kept their powder dry - and up until then Cant was riding pretty anonymously. Super patient, super skilled victory.

totally agree on all points made here...and by e-ritchie. The exchange botch was all on Brand. I do not want anyone moving in the pit. Totally on me to be running a step or two before the hand off. The receiver has one job and one job only...catch my bike.

Cants win this year was most well earned of her career. I was rooting for Betsema, but watching the dutch team stick it to one another lap after lap was too much to take. It looked like Vos was the only one to sacrifice herself for the benefit of the team toward the end.

Lucinda was both the strongest and her own worst enemy that day and Cant proved she was adaptable to the situation, seizing the opportunity and not waiting for the last lap.

Such a great race.

auto_rock
02-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Has anyone seen any more info on Neff’s equipment? The announcers hinted she was on 12sp eTap, all but breaching the mentioned press embargo...

BdaGhisallo
02-05-2019, 11:47 AM
Has anyone seen any more info on Neff’s equipment? The announcers hinted she was on 12sp eTap, all but breaching the mentioned press embargo...

Hasn't Wout been running 12sp Etap for a while, along with Jeremy Powers State-side?

Simon Burney seemed to think he was letting the cat out of the bag on 12sp ETap, obviously not realizing that the cat escaped a few months back.

auto_rock
02-05-2019, 12:12 PM
I hadn’t noticed that cat escape either...

chiasticon
02-05-2019, 01:00 PM
yeah Wout, Powers and now Vos (as of 1st of the year) are on 1X12 eTap.

Burney kinda whiffed on that question, making it seem like they're all on 1X systems. not the dude winning the race! the majority of them are on 2X systems. except most of/all the Americans (Sram) and a few of the euro teams (Pauwels on Sram, Marlux on di2 1X). not sure about the British teams though, so maybe he was speaking to that...