PDA

View Full Version : Everything you wanted to know about Ti

peanutgallery
01-31-2019, 10:23 PM
Fastners that is. No really OT, but moto

https://www.vitalmx.com/features/Everything-You-Wanted-To-Know-About-Titanium,6432

54ny77
01-31-2019, 10:57 PM
That was a great read, thx for the link.

Interesting reader comment in there at bottom:

"I don't agree with using anti-seeze or grease on threads if it's not specified by the OEM.

Lubricating the threads decreases clamp load with the applied torque remaining constant."

I have never given thought to that, at least as it applies to bikes.

unterhausen
01-31-2019, 11:15 PM
I noticed that SRAM is pretty specific about what they want lubed when a fastener has a torque spec. I am not sure about Shimano. In general though, lubing is a good practice. I would be more worried about low torque with un-lubed than high with lubed. I am pretty sure that any engineer that wanted a particular clamping force would discount the possibility that they should add stiction to the torque spec. This is consistent with what I have seen in engineering discussions of torque values.

K u r t
02-01-2019, 12:12 AM
A friend of mine once suggested I lubricate the lug bolts on my motorcycle. Guess what bolts backed out, and that I NO longer lube! :eek:

peanutgallery
02-01-2019, 07:33 AM
Got my digital caliper out last and did a little shopping

My 30 pound stumpjumper might now be 29.9999999 pounds:) But trick

Mark McM
02-01-2019, 11:05 AM
That was a great read, thx for the link.

Interesting reader comment in there at bottom:

"I don't agree with using anti-seeze or grease on threads if it's not specified by the OEM.

Lubricating the threads decreases clamp load with the applied torque remaining constant."

I have never given thought to that, at least as it applies to bikes.

A later reader comment corrects this comment:

"You have that backwards. Lubricating the threads will increase clamping load if the torque is constant. Dry torque is always higher than lubricated torque for that reason."

There are lots of places on a bike where this matters. Carbon parts (such as forks and handlebars) are quite sensitive to clamping force, so using the correct torque (based on fastener size and lubrication) can be quite important. And the affect of lubrication on required torque is a big part of the argument over whether the tapers on square taper cranks should be lubricated (yes, they should, and bolt torque should be reduced accordingly).

kingpin75s
02-01-2019, 11:47 AM
A friend of mine once suggested I lubricate the lug bolts on my motorcycle. Guess what bolts backed out, and that I NO longer lube! :eek:

I will sometimes use a combination of grease and purple loc-tite if I feel the need for lubrication but want to ensure it stays in place and still extracts easily, if needed.

wallymann
02-01-2019, 12:32 PM
"Lubricating the threads decreases clamp load with the applied torque remaining constant."

that seems counter-intuitive to me. if the threaded fastener has less rotational friction, then you should be seeing *higher* clamp load for a given applied torque-value.

Mark McM
02-01-2019, 12:39 PM
I will sometimes use a combination of grease and purple loc-tite if I feel the need for lubrication but want to ensure it stays in place and still extracts easily, if needed.

What is "purple loc-tite?" The Loc-tite company makes many products, and there are only so many colors to go around, so there are many Loc-tite products which are purple.

If the purple loc-tite is a threadlocker product, does the grease interfere with its function? And doesn't the threadlocker in liquid form also serve as a lubrication before it sets?

unterhausen
02-01-2019, 03:02 PM
somebody at work said they used loctite "blue glue" for something I was doing. Turned out it is one of many blue loctite thread lockers, but it works well as a temporary glue. The full loctite catalog is somewhat confounding.

Mikej
02-01-2019, 07:23 PM
that seems counter-intuitive to me. if the threaded fastener has less rotational friction, then you should be seeing *higher* clamp load for a given applied torque-value.

My impression as well - and I actually perform destructive/non destructive thread strength test on non-ferrous castings as part of my profession.

Mikej
02-01-2019, 07:26 PM
somebody at work said they used loctite "blue glue" for something I was doing. Turned out it is one of many blue loctite thread lockers, but it works well as a temporary glue. The full loctite catalog is somewhat confounding.

It is. If used as part of your profession, call a loc-tite rep to bring in samples at your place of profession. You will learn an incredible amount, and receive plenty of free samples!

marciero
02-02-2019, 07:44 AM
A later reader comment corrects this comment:

"You have that backwards. Lubricating the threads will increase clamping load if the torque is constant. Dry torque is always higher than lubricated torque for that reason."

There are lots of places on a bike where this matters. Carbon parts (such as forks and handlebars) are quite sensitive to clamping force, so using the correct torque (based on fastener size and lubrication) can be quite important. And the affect of lubrication on required torque is a big part of the argument over whether the tapers on square taper cranks should be lubricated (yes, they should, and bolt torque should be reduced accordingly).

Years ago, when carbon parts became ubiquitous and all of a sudden correct everyone "had" to have a torque wrench or the warranty voided, parts would fail, you were going to die, etc, I dont recall lube being mentioned often, even in the torque specs themselves. I discounted a lot of the discussion because of that. It would seem that even the type of lube would affect the clamping force. Add to that that some of the parts you were bolting to other carbon parts came with prepped with threadlock pre-installed vs others that had grease and it was meaningless to spec things down to the dyne-cm.

FriarQuade
02-02-2019, 10:59 AM
What is "purple loc-tite?" The Loc-tite company makes many products, and there are only so many colors to go around, so there are many Loc-tite products which are purple.

If the purple loc-tite is a threadlocker product, does the grease interfere with its function? And doesn't the threadlocker in liquid form also serve as a lubrication before it sets?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is bothered by simply referring to various thread locker products by their color.

222 is the common purple retainer, it's meant for smaller fasteners. Loctite makes several forumlas that are designed to be oil resistant. But I believe (don't quote me on this) they are intended for applications where you can't get the parts clean, not for blending with grease for a custom cocktail.