PDA

View Full Version : OT: Hiding Threads?

charliedid
01-31-2019, 10:27 AM
I know (I've never) you can hide or block people but does the forum software have the functionality to simply hide threads?

TIA

Bruce K
01-31-2019, 10:49 AM
We can delete a thread but what would be the purpose of hiding threads?

BK

Mikej
01-31-2019, 10:54 AM

BK

Being triggered and unable to control yourself when somebody asks if shimanos 10 spd cass. will work with campy 11..

charliedid
01-31-2019, 10:54 AM

BK

Thanks Bruce,

Just to simply manage what I (or anyone sees) as a way to reduce clutter if you will. I don't know if you use Facebook but you can simply hide certain posts you don't want to constantly see in your newsfeed.

Just curious.

Bruce K
01-31-2019, 11:26 AM
Oh

I thought you meant do we hide threads?

Your question would be best answered by Keith

BK

Blown Reek
01-31-2019, 11:31 AM
Are people really that sensitive on an internet forum that they actually block people? I mean, are you so sensitive that you just couldn't bear to read someone's responses? Sheesh.

54ny77
01-31-2019, 11:35 AM
I would like to hide threads in classifieds that mention 54/55cm frames. It will cut down on silly rationalization thought processes.

:D

ultraman6970
01-31-2019, 11:36 AM
It happens. A dude a few years ago said that he was going to kill me (or sorts)... was funny to read tho because dude went ballistic for some reason, that's when you have to remember that is just the internet, but for some is more than serious...

There is a feature where you block a user, that helps in those cases because you dont read what the blocked user said. Never used it... some from the litle ive read use it, so yes... it happens...

Are people really that sensitive on an internet forum that they actually block people? I mean, are you so sensitive that you just couldn't bear to read someone's responses? Sheesh.

Tony T
01-31-2019, 11:38 AM
Can this thread be hidden?
I really didn't want to see it ;)

old_fat_and_slow
01-31-2019, 11:40 AM

I'm pretty sure that feature (blocking people) is available on many internet forums. People get pissed, and act irrationally. That's life.

makoti
01-31-2019, 12:34 PM

Thankfully, not so much here but I have been on a list where, if you wanted to follow a conversation & not get 500 messages a day you pretty much had to filter out 2 guys who would argue all day amongst themselves. That was a list that gave email notifications, but the idea is the same.

Ralph
01-31-2019, 01:06 PM
I do regularly "unfollow" some friends on FB. Some are extended family. Don't unfriend, just unfollow them. They spend all their day surfing and sharing their "wonderful" political ideas with their FB friends, and my inbox is filled with their stuff, crowding out more ordinary social media stuff from friends and family.

zmudshark
01-31-2019, 01:20 PM

I block people who have been known to be less than forthcoming on the for sale forum. If they are in my block list I know not to be tempted to buy from them.

It has nothing to do with my sensitivity level for idiotic posts.;)

charliedid
01-31-2019, 01:40 PM
Can this thread be hidden?
I really didn't want to see it ;)

Touche!

unterhausen
01-31-2019, 03:48 PM
I have blocked someone on another forum. But a lot of times I would see a quote of their smarmy, trollish posts and the whole thing became pointless. I have thought about learning grease monkey to see if I could build a really effective block list. There is a political forum I frequent where someone wrote one, and it works really well. But there are much more serious trolls on political forum than there are on bike forums.

charliedid
02-01-2019, 08:06 AM
So I'm guessing the answer is no?

unterhausen
02-01-2019, 08:11 AM
there is no mechanism that allows a user to ignore threads. If the user ignore feature is any guide, you would still see the thread, it would just say "you have decided to ignore this thread"

charliedid
02-01-2019, 08:24 AM
there is no mechanism that allows a user to ignore threads. If the user ignore feature is any guide, you would still see the thread, it would just say "you have decided to ignore this thread"

thanks

William
02-01-2019, 08:47 AM
The Paceline uses old school technology in this respect....your fingers. Don't click on it if you don't want to see it.:)

William

oldpotatoe
02-01-2019, 08:52 AM

Yup, you may be surprised..not only by who blocks whom but why(as I heard..and slapped forehead and shook head)..

But forum about toys, entertainment, useful info..don't see why I would block anybody

-pal...:)

charliedid
02-01-2019, 08:59 AM
The Paceline uses old school technology in this respect....your fingers. Don't click on it if you don't want to see it.:)

William

You're not following me but that's fine.

Thanks

Bruce K
02-01-2019, 09:27 AM
So are you asking how to reduce the number of threads you see when you open a section of the forum to only those that interest you?

If that’s it then I think the answer is you can’t do it with our current software.

BK

charliedid
02-01-2019, 10:27 AM
So are you asking how to reduce the number of threads you see when you open a section of the forum to only those that interest you?

If that’s it then I think the answer is you can’t do it with our current software.

BK

That's right.

Thanks Bruce.