PDA

View Full Version : Bikes of Wrath

BlueFly
01-31-2019, 08:48 AM
Went to the local showing of this movie last night. 5 blokes from Oz travel to ‘merica to bikepack the same route as the Steinbeck novel Grapes of Wrath; the book is a fictional account based on the hardships of the Oklahoma dust bowl in the early 18th century.

If you get a chance go see it. Personally, I would like to see Hollywood create more truth like this..... and that’s why independent films are necessary! :)

https://us.demand.film/the-bikes-of-wrath/

Jad
01-31-2019, 08:56 AM
Ok, definitely want to see this. Good trailer--thanks for sharing.

"So you guys been training in Australia for this?"

"Wellll..."

oldpotatoe
01-31-2019, 09:43 AM
Went to the local showing of this movie last night. 5 blokes from Oz travel to ‘merica to bikepack the same route as the Steinbeck novel Grapes of Wrath; the book is a fictional account based on the hardships of the Oklahoma dust bowl in the early 18th century.

If you get a chance go see it. Personally, I would like to see Hollywood create more truth like this..... and that’s why independent films are necessary! :)

https://us.demand.film/the-bikes-of-wrath/

20th century? Sorry, just being picky..$420 for all of them?
Set during the Great Depression, the novel focuses on the Joads, a poor family of tenant farmers driven from their Oklahoma home by drought, economic hardship, agricultural industry changes, and bank foreclosures forcing tenant farmers out of work. Due to their nearly hopeless situation, and in part because they are trapped in the Dust Bowl, the Joads set out for California. Along with thousands of other "Okies", they seek jobs, land, dignity, and a future.

BlueFly
01-31-2019, 10:16 AM
There is a very pertinent message in this film. The less $$ people have, the more $$ they give. The ultimate pay-it-forward mentality

Mark McM
01-31-2019, 10:18 AM

It's also interesting to note that the "dust bowl" was not a natural disaster - it was largely man-made, caused by improper agricultural practices. The prairie had existed for thousands of years, and then men went and dug it up, turned it over, and planted crops damaging to the soil, causing it to turn to dust and blow away.

josephr
01-31-2019, 10:56 AM
It's also interesting to note that the "dust bowl" was not a natural disaster - it was largely man-made, caused by improper agricultural practices. The prairie had existed for thousands of years, and then men went and dug it up, turned it over, and planted crops damaging to the soil, causing it to turn to dust and blow away.

even more interesting, it was in the 20th Century, not the 18th Century! A whole 200 years later after the plow and tractor had been invented!

RFC
01-31-2019, 11:01 AM

You're half right. It was a combination of farming techniques and a severe, extended drought that hit Mid America.

Mark McM
01-31-2019, 11:05 AM
You're half right. It was a combination of farming techniques and a severe, extended drought that hit Mid America.

Truly, the drought a big part of it. But there have been other droughts, before and since, and yet the dust bowl was not repeated - largely due to changes in agricultural practices.

Ronsonic
01-31-2019, 09:55 PM

What nobody knew until recently is that the 500 years prior to the dust bowl events were the wettest in that region since almost the last ice age. Don't forget that prairie wasn't entirely natural either. There had been a long history of controlled burns by bison eating people to keep it that way.

OtayBW
02-01-2019, 06:11 AM
There had been a long history of controlled burns by bison eating people to keep it that way.I'm still processing this...:eek: :)

happycampyer
02-01-2019, 07:10 AM
I'm still processing this...:eek: :)

I think he meant “bison-eating people” and not “bison eating people.”

oldpotatoe
02-01-2019, 07:20 AM
I think he meant “bison-eating people” and not “bison eating people.”

Look in the road a head...

or Look in the road, ahead...:)

jmoore
02-01-2019, 07:30 AM
Look in the road a head...

or Look in the road, ahead...:)

let's eat Grandma

or

let's eat, Grandma

OtayBW
02-01-2019, 08:53 AM
:) :) :) :)
:banana:

gdw
02-01-2019, 09:48 AM
-

93KgBike
02-01-2019, 10:41 AM
20th century? Sorry, just being picky..$420 for all of them?

Yeah...

What's the budget for Walkabout?

bikinchris
02-01-2019, 10:45 AM
A showing of that movie is coming to Little Rock soon. I am rereading Grapes of Wrath is preparation.