PDA

View Full Version : Re-using a Ksyrium hub. Possible to build with?

makoti
01-30-2019, 01:06 PM
I have an old, possibly original build of the Mavic ksyrium wheels. Never cared for the wheel itself, but always been a fan of Mavic hubs. So I'm wondering if I cut out the hubs, are they something a home jr. grade mechanic can build with? Just thought about it, at work of course, so can't take a good look at the hubs.
Anyone done this? Any issues? Worth it?

Mark McM
01-30-2019, 02:23 PM
There have been many iterations of wheels sold under the Ksyrium name, and each used proprietary components to a different degree, so it really depends on which model of Ksyriums these are. If these hubs come from wheels with fat aluminum spokes, then it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to rebuild them with any other than the original parts. If they used steel spokes, there is a better chance that you might be able to rebuild them with new spokes and rims, but you may still be limited on how they can be rebuilt.

makoti
01-30-2019, 02:28 PM
There have been many iterations of wheels sold under the Ksyrium name, and each used proprietary components to a different degree, so it really depends on which model of Ksyriums these are. If these hubs come from wheels with fat aluminum spokes, then it will be very difficult (if not impossible) to rebuild them with any other than the original parts. If they used steel spokes, there is a better chance that you might be able to rebuild them with new spokes and rims, but you may still be limited on how they can be rebuilt.

They have flat, black spokes. Made of something that starts with "Z". That's what I'm wondering. If I can use "normal" components to build around them. I'm guessing they would have to be straight pull spokes, but not sure if even that would work. I wish Mavic still sold just hubs.

Mark McM
01-30-2019, 02:35 PM
They have flat, black spokes. Made of something that starts with "Z". That's what I'm wondering. If I can use "normal" components to build around them. I'm guessing they would have to be straight pull spokes, but not sure if even that would work. I wish Mavic still sold just hubs.

Could the "Z" stand for Zicral? That was Mavic's name for their aluminum spokes. These spokes were oval shaped, and around 3mm x 5mm (as opposed to about 1mm x 2mm for steel spokes). If they are the Zicral aluminum spokes, then there are really no other spokes that can be used other than Mavic's special spokes, and these only work with Mavic's rim.

nublar
01-30-2019, 03:03 PM
The Zicral spokes used on the SL rims are also $3-5 a pop and come in boxes of 20. I think the R-Sys carbon spokes were $20 or $40 each.

zzy
01-30-2019, 03:30 PM
always been a fan of Mavic hubs.

never thought i would read those words

makoti
01-30-2019, 03:33 PM
Could the "Z" stand for Zicral? That was Mavic's name for their aluminum spokes. These spokes were oval shaped, and around 3mm x 5mm (as opposed to about 1mm x 2mm for steel spokes). If they are the Zicral aluminum spokes, then there are really no other spokes that can be used other than Mavic's special spokes, and these only work with Mavic's rim.

Yep, that's them. And that's what I wanted to know & was afraid of.

makoti
01-30-2019, 03:35 PM
never thought i would read those words

Child, when you grow up you'll remember things of quality. The older Mavic hubs were the smoothest I ever used.

weisan
01-30-2019, 03:36 PM
Yep, that's them. And that's what I wanted to know & was afraid of.

I went through the same thing and arrived more or less at the same conclusion. I still have two Mavic hubs sitting in my box, I like to look at them every now and then.

Yes, mavic are not complete trash like some of us like to portray them to be. Just like any product, they have their ups and downs.

oldpotatoe
01-30-2019, 03:37 PM
I went through the same thing and arrived more or less at the same conclusion. I still have two Mavic hubs sitting in my box, I like to look at them every now and then.

Yes, mavic are not complete trash like some of us like to portray them to be. Just like any product, they have their ups and downs.

The rear hub, FT-S is junque.

zzy
01-30-2019, 03:39 PM
Child, when you grow up you'll remember things of quality. The older Mavic hubs were the smoothest I ever used.

if you grew up working in bike stores servicing junk all-proprietary ksyrium wheels you would know how silly your idea is. we're not talking about Mavic's excellent groupsets here.

ultraman6970
01-30-2019, 03:48 PM
I have a rear rim moving around... is for the ssc edition, no idea if it will work with yours tho... if you find out that it works I cut you deal in the rim...

I believe some people have done what you want but the problem is that you need to find a rim with the exactly like the mavic, or find spokes in other lenghts which is even harder because some mavic hubs dont use regular straight pull spokes....

weisan
01-30-2019, 03:55 PM
I have done the "opposite"...harvested the rim, modified it by drilling and built wheels out of them. They ride fine and are still in service on a couple of my bikes.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697918503&stc=1&d=1460546056

https://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697918504&stc=1&d=1460546064

ultraman6970
01-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Easier to drill a rim than find the right spokes IMO...either way, great fix man.

Dave
01-30-2019, 04:13 PM
When I returned to cycling after my 8 year hiatus, the one bike I kept had Mavic Ksyiums with Zircal spokes. They had enough use that one spoke had broken in 2010, so I didn't trust them 8 years later. I sold the pair for $275 on e-bay. I had a buy it now price of $250 but no one bought them until the last day and someone bid more than my asking price. Shipping cost me about $50, so I didn't clear that much.

If you break a rear spoke, the wheel wobbles so bad that it will hit both sides of the frame, even after some retensioning to reduce the wobble. Riding the last 5 miles home wasn't fun.

Dasarbule
01-30-2019, 06:15 PM
500/501
571/2
MR601
...then things just got silly.

Spoker
01-30-2019, 06:53 PM
SL's being the best wheel I ever owned (and still own). 40 years of riding that is.