PDA

View Full Version : Cycling and Bone Density

RFC
01-30-2019, 09:28 AM
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/well/move/can-low-impact-sports-like-cycling-be-putting-your-bones-at-risk.html?action=click&module=Discovery&pgtype=Homepage#commentsContainer

XXtwindad
01-30-2019, 09:58 AM
I like Gretchen Reynolds. "The First Twenty Minutes" is a great book. But I think this qualifies as a "slow news day." I might be going out on a limb here, but I think most cyclists on this forum understand that cycling is far from a complete exercise. It does very little for bone density and can exacerbate postural distortion from extended sitting. Lifting weights and doing yoga can ameliorate those things.

zmalwo
01-30-2019, 10:05 AM
In summary, low impact sports such as cycling and swimming doesn't decrease bone density, but just doesn't build up bone mass as fast as high impact sports such as running. Too choose between constant shin splint, knee cartilage deterioration, hip joint inflammation and ankle sprain, I choose slightly higher risk of getting run over by cars, a little back pain and neck pain, occasional road rash and a thinner wallet (or maybe a slightly heavier wallet due to extra credit cards carried).

Idris Icabod
01-30-2019, 10:18 AM
Hasn't this been known for many years? I had bone density measured when I started a new job back in 2004 and the technician noted that my lower density was probably a consequence of cycling.

It really isn't a concern as the orthopedic surgeon will just shore up our brittle bones with titanium plates as we shatter them, Wolverine style.:hello::)

GregL
01-30-2019, 10:38 AM
Old news. Outside magazine has done a good job covering this for years:

https://www.outsideonline.com/1870911/shatter-proof-skeleton
https://www.outsideonline.com/1784131/biking-bad-my-bones
https://www.outsideonline.com/1785506/cycling-hurting-my-bones

Greg

berserk87
01-30-2019, 11:31 AM
It really isn't a concern as the orthopedic surgeon will just shore up our brittle bones with titanium plates as we shatter them, Wolverine style.:hello::)

Wolverine had 'Adamantium' bonded to his skeleton, bub.

Hawker
01-30-2019, 12:47 PM
In summary, low impact sports such as cycling and swimming doesn't decrease bone density, but just doesn't build up bone mass as fast as high impact sports such as running. Too choose between constant shin splint, knee cartilage deterioration, hip joint inflammation and ankle sprain, I choose slightly higher risk of getting run over by cars, a little back pain and neck pain, occasional road rash and a thinner wallet (or maybe a slightly heavier wallet due to extra credit cards carried).

Excellent (and creative) assessment.

2LeftCleats
01-30-2019, 01:25 PM
All of us lose density as we age, but the info here reiterates what's been known for awhile; low impact activity allows faster deterioration. The extreme I think is space travel. For some of us cycling is higher impact than for others--those collar bones don't break themselves:)

Current guidelines don't recommend screening until age 65 for women and 70 for men unless history of risk, like long-term steroids.

I think for most of us this is a non-issue. Even if cycling is your only 'exercise', you likely have other weight bearing activity in your daily life: climbing stairs, walking at work, home, etc. I'll go out on a limb and speculate that most cyclists aren't smokers, another risk factor, and that we're not undernourished.

Idris Icabod
01-30-2019, 01:45 PM
Wolverine had 'Adamantium' bonded to his skeleton, bub.

Yeah, my insurance wouldn't cover that.

Mark McM
01-30-2019, 02:27 PM

What about different kinds of cycling? Does MTB riding over rough terrain count as high impact? What if you fall off your MTB and hit the ground a lot? (Just asking for a friend.)

XXtwindad
01-30-2019, 02:31 PM
What about different kinds of cycling? Does MTB riding over rough terrain count as high impact? What if you fall off your MTB and hit the ground a lot? (Just asking for a friend.)

Carrying your MTB after a pinch flat. Very good resistance training.

thwart
01-30-2019, 02:37 PM
I think for most of us this is a non-issue. Even if cycling is your only 'exercise', you likely have other weight bearing activity in your daily life: climbing stairs, walking at work, home, etc. I'll go out on a limb and speculate that most cyclists aren't smokers, another risk factor, and that we're not undernourished.

Well, most of us...

https://bibobikecoaching.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/the-chicken.jpg

JStonebarger
01-30-2019, 02:37 PM
...constant shin splint, knee cartilage deterioration, hip joint inflammation and ankle sprain...

If that's your experience with running you're doing it wrong.

notsew
01-30-2019, 03:46 PM
Solution: more cyclocross

berserk87
01-30-2019, 06:32 PM
Yeah, my insurance wouldn't cover that.

Yeah. Adamantium is excluded for the most part.