PDA

View Full Version : Banner Ad from Pros Closet, Thoughts?

pbarry
01-29-2019, 09:37 PM
Wow, they must be doing really well, or my browsing trail is being closely monitored. The latter I'm sure. Just surprised and I don't mind as it's a better fit than most adverts.

Do you take what they give, block all cookies/use an ad blocker? Other?

Heisenberg
01-29-2019, 10:17 PM
In digital media speak, this is called retargeting.

Perhaps you went to the Pro's Closet site. It dropped a cookie on you. TPC has bought ads from a network serving on sites all over the internets. Now you see TPC ads about the crap you were looking at.

Or maybe, you fit a certain profile that TPC is targeting based on your cookies from relevant sites or from a logged-in social profile.

Plenty of ecom sites use it.

Is it effective? Meh. Banner ads are trash.

bjf
01-29-2019, 10:20 PM
Some time ago I bought a really inexpensive hybrid from them for a friend. It was a good deal, all tuned up and ready to go, under $300. A few days ago I went looking for something similar for someone else, but discovered that they now carry only high end bikes and frames. Must have changed their business model.

slowpoke
01-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Look into Firefox Containers (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/containers) if you care about isolating your browsing experience (in addition to having an ad blocker and changing your Google Privacy preferences.

zmalwo
01-29-2019, 10:27 PM
Is there a trick on how to get good deals on Pro's closet? cuz All I see is over priced, used, beat up stuff from them.

prototoast
01-29-2019, 10:36 PM
Is there a trick on how to get good deals on Pro's closet? cuz All I see is over priced, used, beat up stuff from them.

They sell on consignment, so the prices drop until things sell. If you want a good deal, wait.

Jere
01-29-2019, 11:07 PM

Hi

I got a few things from them , and it was a good transaction.
I ordered 3 things from them a month ago on fleebay and sent a comment about the
Total Shipping being very high they agreed and cut it by 2/3s.
And gave me money back !
Good people in my book.
Jere B

ultraman6970
01-29-2019, 11:22 PM
Containers? thats interesting....

As for the TPC... well they started selling brifters individually, that can tell you how hard is being lately IMO. That was the 1st symptom that got me away from looking at them as one of my source of stuff. So banners can be seen in two ways... they want to expand because they are doing great or they really need to promote their stuff to get it out.

IMO they have too much dead weight listed, i was them I would yes try to move things out quick even if it means to earn little, better bird in hand than 1000 of them flying around...

I do agree they are nice people to deal with tho...

Pastashop
01-30-2019, 04:30 AM
Pretty sure that's the same Singular frame & fork that went from Seattle to me (thanks Kirk007!), and that I decked out with a nice kit and then foolishly sold to someone's pal here... Very tempting to buy it back, but I'll probably abstain.

Back to Pro's Closet – they have a lot of interesting / compelling stuff in stock, but something about the price / value ratio doesn't hit me right... As an example, that Singular is now a 3-owner bike (at least), with enough "beausage" and original parts on it that the price out to be 20-30% lower. IMO, of course. They're still around, so probably doing something right.

peanutgallery
01-30-2019, 05:46 AM
I would think that hitching your dinner wagon to used bicycles and parts. .. and the people that are usually attached to them would be a rough way to make a living. Like a ski shop located in Miami might be easier

Didn't they sorta sell out to someone or take on investors a while back? Another tough way to make it

fignon's barber
01-30-2019, 06:10 AM
[QUOTE=pbarry;2492990)

Do you take what they give, block all cookies/use an ad blocker? Other?[/QUOTE]

In general, I don't mind getting ads targeted to me. I bought an item from Moosejaw a couple months ago. About 2 weeks later, I got a pop up ad from a different vendor for the same item, but $80 cheaper. Moosejaw has a 30 day price match, so I emailed them and they cheerfully put $80 back on my credit card. Positive side to most things.

dave thompson
01-30-2019, 08:30 AM

Harsh. Have you ever purchased from the Pro’s Closet?

unterhausen
01-30-2019, 09:08 AM
I feel compelled to have an ad blocker and privacy badger enabled on most sites. So I don't see anybody's banner ads. Just too many malicious ads nowadays. Those are the only people making money off of placing digital advertising.

The degree to which they track us is pretty scary. Friend of a friend on facebook had a medical procedure and I get targeted ads. Creepy.

spacemen3
01-30-2019, 09:15 AM
They sell on consignment, so the prices drop until things sell. If you want a good deal, wait.
I tried consigning boxes of vintage parts to them a year or so ago. They told me that they didn't really take consignments anymore, but still wanted to cherry pick what I had. I said no thanks and shipped everything to RadicalVelo. :cool:

prototoast
01-30-2019, 09:19 AM
I tried consigning boxes of vintage parts to them a year or so ago. They told me that they didn't really take consignments anymore, but still wanted to cherry pick what I had. I said no thanks and shipped everything to RadicalVelo. :cool:

Ah, I hadn't realized they changed their business model. Thanks for the update.

TimD
01-30-2019, 09:40 AM
A good way to eliminate many ads and drastically improve your browsing experience is to deploy Pi Hole (https://pi-hole.net/)as a local DNS server, and point your devices at it.

It is not as complicated as it might seem at first.

shinomaster
01-30-2019, 10:05 AM
I think they should be more selective about what they sell: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Chorus-Crank-Set-10s-175mm-52-39T-135mm-BCD-Square-Taper-ISO-Good/401683050444?hash=item5d862cefcc:g:2YIAAOSwaaNcNpO K:rk:2:pf:0

berserk87
01-30-2019, 11:33 AM
After reading this thread, my tinfoil hat definitely stays on for the near future.

jamesdak
01-30-2019, 11:38 AM
Harsh. Have you ever purchased from the Pro’s Closet?

I actually have to agree with this for all the times I've considered stuff on their site. And yes I have used them a time or two myself. Their prices do seem inflated over pretty much every other source. In fact, that is why I don't use them much. They have a lot I want but it all seems highly priced when compared to all my other purchases. Just my two cents....

echappist
01-30-2019, 11:42 AM
i had dental implants installed in 2010-2011, as a result of a cycling-related crash

for some reason, ads on dental implants have followed me ever since then. mind you, it's not even like the links are to providers, but just "infomercials". Can't shake them, and they populate whenever there's enough cookies stored to indicate that I'm the one using the computer.

asinine and annoying... and the thing is, targeted ads would be even worse. all your searches become fodder for new ads. someone in the house is sick? well you get flooded with ads, etc, etc

Clean39T
01-30-2019, 11:48 AM
i had dental implants installed in 2010-2011, as a result of a cycling-related crash

for some reason, ads on dental implants have followed me ever since then. mind you, it's not even like the links are to providers, but just "infomercials". Can't shake them, and they populate whenever there's enough cookies stored to indicate that I'm the one using the computer.

asinine and annoying... and the thing is, targeted ads would be even worse. all your searches become fodder for new ads. someone in the house is sick? well you get flooded with ads, etc, etc

I shop at Whole Foods presented by Amazon -- and fully expect to receive marketing content on beans and rice for the rest of my life..

zmalwo
01-30-2019, 11:51 AM
Cleaning one's browsing history and cookies etc is a good thing once in a while. sure you have to retype your password and account every time but at least you get rid of all the targeted ads, also frees up lots of space on your computer.

Clean39T
01-30-2019, 11:55 AM
I actually have to agree with this for all the times I've considered stuff on their site. And yes I have used them a time or two myself. Their prices do seem inflated over pretty much every other source. In fact, that is why I don't use them much. They have a lot I want but it all seems highly priced when compared to all my other purchases. Just my two cents....

The customer service at TPC has always been top-notch - I've unfortunately bought and returned at least two bikes from them and each time they were very helpful and understanding. The first one was a No.22 Reactor that wasn't measured accurately and had significantly more wear than described - nothing you can do when an ISP isn't measured right and that's pretty straightforward. The second was a C60 that had significant cosmetic blems that weren't photographed accurately. That one ended up selling for 30% or more less than what I paid - if they'd offered me half that back, I'd have kept it and would be riding a sweet (but somewhat less-than-perfect) C60 these days.

I like what they are doing trying to provide an avenue for bikes to get recycled - but I think they really need to step up their game when it comes to providing sufficient photographs and accurate descriptions. The amount of returns they get must eat into profits and outweigh the extra effort to get it right the first time.

Their new "certified pre-owned" option is interesting as well. They are offering a higher level of inspection and a guaranteed buy-back price that seems pretty attractive.

Anyway, I give them the benefit of the doubt and will continue to order from them if/when they have stuff I like.

I have a "like new" Chris King headset coming my way currently - and am hoping it is as advertised.

rccardr
01-30-2019, 12:01 PM
My only problem with them is the recent switch to photos on eBay that are not of the actual item being sold. Instead they are using stock type pics of the item that looks new/very good and indicating in the description header that the picture is for discriptive purposes only. So you wind up buying a pig in a poke, so to speak, not knowing whether the condition is acceptable until it's received. Sure, you can just return it, but what a pain.

Clean39T
01-30-2019, 12:15 PM
My only problem with them is the recent switch to photos on eBay that are not of the actual item being sold. Instead they are using stock type pics of the item that looks new/very good and indicating in the description header that the picture is for discriptive purposes only. So you wind up buying a pig in a poke, so to speak, not knowing whether the condition is acceptable until it's received. Sure, you can just return it, but what a pain.

Agreed. That can't be good for business..

Or maybe it is. If 90% of the buyers just keep it, I guess it wins?

tbike4
01-30-2019, 12:32 PM
I like what they are doing trying to provide an avenue for bikes to get recycled - but I think they really need to step up their game when it comes to providing sufficient photographs and accurate descriptions.

^This. I see frames on there that I want, my size that are missing a critical photo of a high wear area or a lack of some other info. If I have to ask a Pro seller simple questions that should be included or to take a photo of the DS chain stay to see the wear I may just move on.

Clean39T
01-30-2019, 12:42 PM
^This. I see frames on there that I want, my size that are missing a critical photo of a high wear area or a lack of some other info. If I have to ask a Pro seller simple questions that should be included or to take a photo of the DS chain stay to see the wear I may just move on.

Yep, and they store everything already boxed, so if you want additional photos, you're out of luck... Doing that helps speed up the shipping time once an order is placed, but again - pics are key to getting what you want and to limiting returns.

shinomaster
01-30-2019, 08:49 PM

This would appear to be a real photo.

echappist
01-31-2019, 02:54 PM
btw, to rid yourself of tracking ads, here are a few tips

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/technology/personaltech/stop-targeted-stalker-ads.html?module=inline#commentsContainer

ultraman6970
01-31-2019, 03:00 PM
ublock works great just in case.

fiamme red
07-10-2019, 02:27 PM
Interesting podcast interview with the owner of TPC: https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2019/07/10/taking-multichannel-new-level-channel-mastery-podcast-talks-pros-closets#.XSY79OhKi71.