PDA

View Full Version : New Italian Framesets in Connecticut

nickl
01-29-2019, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know who is selling new Italian framesets in volume from a Connecticut location. Included are Ciocc, Casati and Guerciotti. All are listed from the same seller in Bridgeport, CT. I have no experience as an eBay buyer but often travel to CT.

KarlC
01-29-2019, 09:52 AM
https://www.ebay.com/sch/Bicycle-Frames/22679/m.html?item=292656579592&hash=item4423b10408%3Ag%3A6jYAAOSwH55bWiEj%3Ark%3A 13%3Apf%3A0&_ssn=zarbikessales&_sop=15

Mark McM
01-29-2019, 10:02 AM
I know nothing about these, except what I learned in a 5 minute internet search.

Searching ebay for "Casati frameset", I found listings under the seller name "zarbikessales", which kind of sounded like a company name.

Doing a google search for "zar bikes" brought up this web site:

www.zarbikes.com

information on that web page made it sound like they were an importing company for some Italian bike brands. The web page also included a list of dealers in about 20 states (including one in Maryland and several in Pennsylvania, I don't know how close they are to Delaware). You might be able to contact one to ask if Zar Bikes is reputable.

charliedid
01-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Cheap

Are those brands all still in-house or are these licensing agreements at this point?

Spaghetti Legs
01-29-2019, 10:23 AM
I know Coppi bikes are/were most recently built by Micarghi (spelling?) Bros factory. The ones here look like the same construction as one I briefly owned of Genius steel with carbon stays.

I'd also be curious if those other marques were now licensed. This might be a batch of old stock they got on a deal from the factory.

Mark McM
01-29-2019, 10:42 AM
It may not prove anything, but each of these brands (Casati, Ciocc, Guercotti) have their own web sites, with different contact information, including phone numbers and addresses in different cities in Italy. The Casati web page even offers to do custom geometry frames.

Either these companies are still going concerns in their own rights, or somebody has gone to great lengths to make it look like they are.

charliedid
01-29-2019, 10:56 AM
It may not prove anything, but each of these brands (Casati, Ciocc, Guercotti) have their own web sites, with different contact information, including phone numbers and addresses in different cities in Italy. The Casati web page even offers to do custom geometry frames.

Either these companies are still going concerns in their own rights, or somebody has gone to great lengths to make it look like they are.

Nice work.

Of course address could simply mean an office with a computer these days. I'm curious to know.

davidb
01-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Zar sells & imports many brands of frames and cycling components. They sell wholesale to dealers. Maybe they are just clearing out rim brake frames and old components. Been around a long time, or at least a long time for a US cycling distributor.

kokies
01-29-2019, 12:50 PM
The owner is Roberto
graziani58@aol.com

I have known him for 10+ years and bought from him several times.

He also imports campy parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acorn_user
01-29-2019, 07:54 PM
Like some of the other guys said, ZAR is an older importer of Italian frames. They've been around for ages, a bit like Red Rose Imports. The frames are from not licensed in the sense that someone slapped some logos on a frame (like Bikes Direct); Casati still does lots of manufacturing in Italy. Don't know about the others, but the frames listed are mostly NOS made in Italy ones.

pjbaz
01-30-2019, 10:08 PM
I've never bought from them but I know two people who have, in-person at the shop in BPort, and had nothing but good things to say about the transaction.

Nomadmax
01-31-2019, 06:08 AM
I wonder who's making the steel Guerciotti frames.

Jeff Weir
01-31-2019, 07:20 AM
I've known him for 20+ years. Roberto is a really good guy.

nooneline
01-31-2019, 08:11 AM
I've never bought from them but I know two people who have, in-person at the shop in BPort, and had nothing but good things to say about the transaction.

I wonder what the shop is like. The address is in a big ex manufacturing facility that rents out light manuf space and a little bit of office space.

I used to work there, it's an interesting spot - near the train tracks, the building used to be the Singer Sewing Machine factory for a little while in the 1960s, and in the 80s or thereabouts it was a Community College - plenty of people have stories about the neighborhood being mostly burnt-out cars at that point, but it's pretty well turned around. I wonder if the building manager still wears shorts and hiking boots year round.